Vistarama Venues coming to Quantum???

I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared, so I thought I'd try again :rolleyes:

I thought this was worthy of mentioning, because it appears we could have had a bit of a "spoiler" of what's to come for the Quantum in regards to possibly having more virtual reality on board the ship.

Today, the Royal Caribbean Blog posted the following:

Royal Caribbean is busy finishing plans to build its next cruise ship, Quantum of the Seas, and it has tapped design firm 5+design Studio to help create the cutting-edge venues aboard the ship.

Tim Magill, partner of 5+design, commented on designing Quantum of the Seas' venues, "There has never been anything like Two70 on land, let alone sea. It exemplifies our idea of transformational environments – creating the framework for wide range of activities and uses within one space.”

Royal Caribbean has tapped 5+design to create Two70 and Vistarama venues aboard Quantum of the Seas...if any at all.

When googling Vistarama, you find the following explanation from an interview with Randal Kleiser, the inventor of Vistarama and the director of such films as Greese and Honey I Shrunk The Kids. He was also the director of the Disney Project "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" which is a 4D theatrical presentation at Disney.

Vistarama HD is a digital filming, warping and projection process that is suitable to the creation and display of content with an expansive field of view. The process recreates for the audience the original field of view of the camera, producing an immersive experience. Similar techniques include Cinerama and IMAX. Both Cinerama and IMAX require large and heavy cameras and film. Vistarama HD uses a single standard digital video camera equipped with a wide angle lens, such as a fisheye. The image is warped to project onto a large curved screen. The unwarped image is displayed via three video projectors onto a 10ft tall, 150 degree screen. In the areas where the three projections overlap, the pixels are blended together to produce a seamless image.

So, what say you all... what do you suppose these Vistarama type venues will be?

Given the fact that Two70 will make use of 'Virtual' video and the inside cabins, it seems unlikely the rest o fthe ship will be full of 'virtual' stuff too!

I would be surprised if RCI hasn't got more ideas of expanding the use of this new toy.

They announced at the Quantum news conference that the virtual inside cabin technology will be introduced first on the Navigator when it goes into drydock. Which tells me they love this new toy.

Today, the Royal Caribbean Blog posted the following:

Royal Caribbean is busy finishing plans to build its next cruise ship, Quantum of the Seas, and it has tapped design firm 5+design Studio to help create the cutting-edge venues aboard the ship.

Tim Magill, partner of 5+design, commented on designing Quantum of the Seas' venues, "There has never been anything like Two70 on land, let alone sea. It exemplifies our idea of transformational environments – creating the framework for wide range of activities and uses within one space.”

Royal Caribbean has tapped 5+design to create Two70 and Vistarama venues aboard Quantum of the Seas...if any at all.

Should it not be "Royal Caribbean has tapped 5+design to design & create Two70s with Vistarama aboard Quantum of the Seas."

Put simply it is a projection system onto the windows at night in Two 70 .Being black behind the

glass they become like a mirror.

Quantum%20of%20the%20Sea%20D.jpg

All the rest is old hat in my books as people with home fight simulators use something

similar to stitch 4 edgeless TV's together to get 180 degrees of image around the Cockpit .

Gets rid of distortion ,makes curved lines smooth over 2 or more monitors etc

I would be surprised if RCI hasn't got more ideas of expanding the use of this new toy.

They announced at the Quantum news conference that the virtual inside cabin technology will be introduced first on the Navigator when it goes into drydock. Which tells me they love this new toy.

I do hope they have tried this out .

If they use a run of the mill exterior shot video they will be in more trouble than using a blank wall.

They will have to have a live camera feed to these large Flat Screens or people will be "Talking to Ruth on the Big White Phone". :o

Archived