iphone help

cruises42

Once you enable "Airplane Mode" anything related to Cellular is off. With "Airplane Mode" on, you can still use WiFi or Bluetooth. As for text messages, yes, regular text messages won't work. However, if you have access to the ship's Internet, you can use iMessage. iMessage uses data, basically, WiFi network will suffice. So a person that's running an iPhone with IOS 6 can communicate with another person running an iPhone with the same version of IOS via iMessage (Apple's version of texting). The only thing you are charged for is the Internet access, no texting fees apply. Additionally, with iMessage, you can also send pictures and videos and know when the other person has received/read the message.

I am interested in more info about this. I'm confused about one thing though. If you have to be connected to Wifi to use iMessage, then aren't you paying .75 a minute per device to be hooked up to the ship WiFi? That seems extremely expensive. It would be cheaper to use the ship's cell service to text. I can only see this being useful if you pay for the unlimited WiFi and keep it connected all the time.

I'm looking for a way to use our iPhones to keep in touch with one another on the ship. We have Verizon and it costs .50 to send and .05 to receive, which is a little high, although we will only need it when we are apart. I like the idea of using iMessage, but that sounds more expenive. Can you explain how iMessage works using the ship's WiFi? Am I not understanding something?

I am interested in more info about this. I'm confused about one thing though. If you have to be connected to Wifi to use iMessage, then aren't you paying .75 a minute per device to be hooked up to the ship WiFi? That seems extremely expensive. It would be cheaper to use the ship's cell service to text. I can only see this being useful if you pay for the unlimited WiFi and keep it connected all the time.

I'm looking for a way to use our iPhones to keep in touch with one another on the ship. We have Verizon and it costs .50 to send and .05 to receive, which is a little high, although we will only need it when we are apart. I like the idea of using iMessage, but that sounds more expenive. Can you explain how iMessage works using the ship's WiFi? Am I not understanding something?

You are correct for the most part. The wise thing to do would be to "check in" occasionally to send and receive texts, then quickly log off.

Archived