iphone help

cruises42

Is it possible to leave an iPhone 5 on during a cruise (in case of emergencies at home) and not be charged huge fees (roaming)? At&T was no help in answering this question. It was the guys second day at work. He said turning off data roaming should work. We would like to keep the phone on just in case but have no plans on using it.

Is it possible to leave an iPhone 5 on during a cruise (in case of emergencies at home) and not be charged huge fees (roaming)? At&T was no help in answering this question. It was the guys second day at work. He said turning off data roaming should work. We would like to keep the phone on just in case but have no plans on using it.

International data roaming is automatically blocked in the iPhone

You could leave the phone on and not get charged unless you chose to answer a phone call or make a phone call.

If you do answer the phone, it will cost you $2.50 per minute on the ship regardless of whether you subscribe to a special international plan.

Also incoming text messages will cost you whatever they cost you at home but outgoing text messages will cost you 50 cents each.

Nope and be sure to cut your push off its where they push your email threw airplane mode or not. Cost alot of people big bucks

I'm not sure I understand this "be sure to cut your push off its where they push your email threw airplane mode or not". Also are you saying no we can't leave it on without huge charges? The other comments seem to say yes we can.

Just putting it on airplane mode will not do. You need to turn off your data usage under settings. Also, call AT&T and talk to someone who knows what they're talking about, especially if you are interested in a package for calls and/or texts. We paid $40.00 for 200 texts throughout the whole week. You can also get 40 minutes of calls for $60.00 I believe. It's cheaper than calling or texting without a pkg.

If you're only interested in leaving the phone on for emergencies, then just turn the usage off and you'll be fine. Your phone will be unable to issue push notifications or update any Internet data.

Happy Cruising!:)

Nope and be sure to cut your push off its where they push your email threw airplane mode or not. Cost alot of people big bucks

If you're saying that email will go through even in airplane mode, that's just not true. The only way they can go through is if airplane mode is off but wifi is on and there is a wifi source to connect to. Wifi will not add to your cellular provider's bill.

OP, you can leave your phone on and just not use it, but any texts you receive will probably cost you $0.05 to receive, even if you don't open them. Unless you truly foresee an emergency arising, I'd leave the phone off and give whomever would call you for an emergency the ship's emergency number.

My experience has been that the AT&T rep told you was true. You will either want to turn off data roaming or purchase an international data plan. The reason is that while you may not be checking e-mail or actively using the data portion the phone will be continually communicating and making updates. You can turn off the data roaming and still make and receive calls as well as texts.

Granted, I am with Verizon, but I cannot imagine AT&T is different. Certainly check with AT&T again for their specifics when I forgot to turn data roaming off for a day data was used and charged for at a hefty rate. Once I remembered to turn it off no further data charges were assessed.

Jim

My experience has been that the AT&T rep told you was true. You will either want to turn off data roaming or purchase an international data plan. The reason is that while you may not be checking e-mail or actively using the data portion the phone will be continually communicating and making updates. You can turn off the data roaming and still make and receive calls as well as texts.

Granted, I am with Verizon, but I cannot imagine AT&T is different. Certainly check with AT&T again for their specifics when I forgot to turn data roaming off for a day data was used and charged for at a hefty rate. Once I remembered to turn it off no further data charges were assessed.

Jim

It's the same across carriers.

cruises42 There's a lot of wrong information given here. :eek: 1) International data roaming is NOT automatically blocked on iPhones 2) Turning Cellular Data off under Settings will prevent outrageous roaming data charges 3) Putting phone in Airplane Mode will block data, phone, texts.

If communicating on the ship you will be billed at Cellular at Sea rates. If using the phone in ports, you will be billed at the international rates AT&T charges(this info can be found on their site). I'd tell family/friends to only contact you in case of emergency. Texts would be the cheapest form of communication. ;)

I am so confused?? I am thinking of letting my 17 year old bring his phone to Europe and putting the sixty dollar international plan on, mainly reding as it is with bell. Are u guys saying if she texes from the ship or receives Tex, there will be additional charges on her next bell bill on top of the international charge? Thanks

Should I just say forget it...leave it at home?

Someone needs to write a tutorial. You might have better luck with Apple explaining your options if the AT&T reps aren't up to the task.

Cellularatsea does not determine your rates and they do not bill you. Your carrier has a an agreement with them to share the tower just as they do land based towers. Your carrier determines your rate for calls and texts and bills you. I am also with Verizon though I think AT&T charges are similar.

Turn on airplane mode, turn off cellular roaming and data roaming. Then your Iphone becomes a camera and iPod effectively. You will not get incoming calls nor will you be able to make outgoing calls in this mode. You might consider using you stateroom phone at 1.99 per minute if you do need to call someone. However you won't get incoming calls at that rate.

My son brings his iphone to use mostly as a camera. We leave the phone on and he does not answer it. We have Verizon and call them as we are sailing away and they will stop text messages until we get back and have it turned on. We also go to settings and turn off data. This works perfectly. As others have said texting is expensive and a 14 year old can receive 100's a day easy! If his phone rings he does not answer it. If we need it to make a call we can. When we get in port he can access any free wifi spots. We have never had an issue with this or had any additional charges from it.

Here is the truth regarding "Airplane Mode":

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1355

Most if not all of the previous comments regarding this mode were incorrect. With that said, once you turn off this mode, everything is once again enabled. So you will be hit with Cellular and Data charges if using such services. iPhones have services that run in the background and check for updates. For example, the AppStore will check for App updates or email will check periodically if not set to manual. Because of this, you will be hit with data charges if you don't manage it properly.

My recommendation to you is, leave it in "Airplane Mode", unless you know how to properly manage these settings in such environments.

One more thing, you might want to look at buying Internet access and use iMessage instead, might be cheaper. This service, with IOS 6, uses data via WiFi to send text messages. Basically, you can leave your phone in "Airplane Mode" and turn on WiFi then use the ship's Internet connection to send messages. The only catch, the other person needs to also have iMessage. Read more about it.

I am so confused?? I am thinking of letting my 17 year old bring his phone to Europe and putting the sixty dollar international plan on, mainly reding as it is with bell. Are u guys saying if she texes from the ship or receives Tex, there will be additional charges on her next bell bill on top of the international charge? Thanks

You better check to make sure what is included in that so called international plan! Or if you want to make your life simple, tell him to leave it at home and give him a calling card to call who ever he wants. You don't want him spending his whole vacation staring at his phone, chatting on facebook, and texting instead of appreciating EUROPE!!

Most carriers' international plans do not not apply while on the ship. Cellular at Sea rates apply. Check with your carrier. I'm not familiar with Bell, only US carriers.

Sorry but would like to add a question here for IPhone/ATT users....

When we went on a Mediterranean cruise in 09, I tried to use my daughter's I phone to call home and it would not work. My razor worked just fine.

I have an Iphone now too and on our upcoming trip to the Caribbean, I will need to check in with home when we're in ports. Am aware of the charges for each country.

Does anything need to be set up in order to make phone calls from the caribbean? Anything turned on or service added to my account? Can I keep Data Roaming off and still make calls?

Appreciate any advise. Thanks

It's the same across carriers.

cruises42 There's a lot of wrong information given here. :eek: 1) International data roaming is NOT automatically blocked on iPhones 2) Turning Cellular Data off under Settings will prevent outrageous roaming data charges 3) Putting phone in Airplane Mode will block data, phone, texts.

If communicating on the ship you will be billed at Cellular at Sea rates. If using the phone in ports, you will be billed at the international rates AT&T charges(this info can be found on their site). I'd tell family/friends to only contact you in case of emergency. Texts would be the cheapest form of communication. ;)

By default, Cellular Data Roaming is off which blocks International Data Roaming. If you want to check this on your iPhone, go to Settings, General, Cellular, Data Roaming. That is and should remain OFF if you want to prevent Data Roaming when traveling international.

International data roaming is automatically blocked in the iPhone

You could leave the phone on and not get charged unless you chose to answer a phone call or make a phone call.

If you do answer the phone, it will cost you $2.50 per minute on the ship regardless of whether you subscribe to a special international plan.

Also incoming text messages will cost you whatever they cost you at home but outgoing text messages will cost you 50 cents each.

Everything I said is true

Here is a link from AT&T that says "None of the discounted International Roaming voice plans apply while on a cruise ship."

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB66571&cv=820&title=#fbid=RDrIx9EV0ed

That means you pay the Cellular at Sea Rates

Here is another link from the AT&T web site that says what the Cellular at Sea Rates on Carnival are

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=410&DID1=487&DID2=&STEP=5

INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS ROAMING RATES

Calls Placed/Received While in Carnival Cruise Line

Pay Per Use Voice Rate $2.50 per minute

Data Usage: Pay Per Use Data Rate $0.0195 per KB

Text, Picture andVideo Messages: Pay Per Use Messaging Rates

Send Text Message $0.50 per message sent

Send Picture and Video Messages $1.30 per message sent

Receive Text, Picture and Video Messages Standard domestic messaging rates apply

You can make phone calls from your cabin phone for $1.99 per minute!

OP, I'd put my phone in airplane mode and give your friends and relatives information to contact the ship in case an emergency arises. This will be easier and more relaxing :)

This is the best advice. We also use the cabin phones to check in nightly with family back home. This is now only $1.99 per minute so cheaper than a cell call.

Sorry but would like to add a question here for IPhone/ATT users....

When we went on a Mediterranean cruise in 09, I tried to use my daughter's I phone to call home and it would not work. My razor worked just fine.

I have an Iphone now too and on our upcoming trip to the Caribbean, I will need to check in with home when we're in ports. Am aware of the charges for each country.

Does anything need to be set up in order to make phone calls from the caribbean? Anything turned on or service added to my account? Can I keep Data Roaming off and still make calls?

Appreciate any advise. Thanks

If you have a GSM iphone (AT&T), you just need to turn off airplane mode and it will sync to the local network. International Data Roaming is automatically off but you can verify that by SETTINGS, GENERAL, CELLULAR, DATA ROAMING OFF.

If you have CDMA iPhone (Verizon and Sprint), the CDMA network may not be available where you are at Internationally. That may explain why your daughters iPhone did not work.

I usually look for free wifi or internat cafe wifi when I am in port. If the bandwidth is good enough, I can make free calls over the internet using an app or pay for the call using Skype. Skype to Skype calls are free.

Archived