ATV excursion in Cozumel

bossymama

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Becca, I'll have a look at it. I have also found one that has a type of dune buggy called an Xrail, that looks like a lot of fun. It is at

Wild tours and Baja Buggies. It's not like I'm leaving tomorrow, but I have to look at all the options first, ponder for a while, think about it some more, talk it over with DH, then finally book something around the 3 month mark! Wouldn't want to rush anything, eh?? Just my cautious nature I guess. Anyways, Thanks for the suggestion.

We a did one a few years ago it was tons of fun. We are considering doing one again this cruise. Cozumel ATV's and Resort

We signed up for this one after a lot of research. Have not gone yet so if anyone has please let us know how it was. I asked in these boards but got very little info. Hoping it is good.

"I have also found one that has a type of dune buggy called an Xrail"

I did this shore excursion through RCCL a few years ago while on FOS, I think it was February 2011. The buggy does not have power steering. It's a little tough to steer, especially if you have limited upper body strength (but my wife handled it OK, only running off the road twice, so it is doable). You really have to pay attention to the road, or you WILL end up off the road :eek:, as some people did. Not a big deal. The guides stop the caravan, and get the wayward buggy back on the trail, and the tour goes on.

Half way through the tour you stop to go swimming in some funky looking greenish water :confused: (what doesn't kill you-makes you stronger!!! and everyone gets PFD's), that leads into a very dark unlighted cavern. If you can overcome the funky water, it's kinda cool going swimming into the cavern. Before we swam into the cavern we had the option of doing some high jumps into the water from a height of about 15 feet. Almost everyone in the group did it at least once. The guide that was with our group had a very small flashlight that lit up the way for us in the cavern. Because I read up on this tour before I did it, I also brought a handy dandy small waterproof flashlight that I used too. The guide was impressed with it and I gave it to him as a gift at the end of the tour :).

://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_972/Context_965/Sort_Relevance/DescSort_0/Filter_brand%3dUnderwater__Kinetics/Page_1/UKTE2AAA.html

I did this tour during February. I don't know what the rainy season is in Cozumel, but the trail was very dry and dusty, even though you are warned about mud. At the very end of the tour we were told we could drive through a "mud puddle" or detour around it. My wife and older daughter drove through the mud puddle at a slow speed-got some mud on them-not too bad. The muddy water did permanently stain my wifes shirt and shorts. My younger daughter and myself went FAST and furious through the mud puddle, and were soaked from head to toe in mud/dirty water. We had a blast doing it. I knew from reading reviews about the x-rails not to wear clothing that you care about. Our clothing/shoes were ruined from the mud, but we wore "throw away clothing" and didn't care. You will at the very least get dirty from the dust on this tour, possibly worse if there is mud.

Overall, my family of 4 had a great time doing this. I think the whole group had a great time. The buggy seats 2 people. At the very least, YOU WILL GET DIRTY from the dust! If you go swimming, you will get WET and then get DIRTY!....and have fun doing it! :D

If you do this tour, and it is still as I deccribed, wear "disposable clothing," bring a grabage bag to put that stuff in (if you don't throw it out), and bring a towel and change of clothes.

I also did a Segway tour through RCCL a different time I was in Cozumel. It was the first time ever on a Segway. It was fun, but the X-rails gets the adrenaline pumping:D! I have another FOS cruise booked for April 2014 that stops in Cozumel. I hope to do one of the ATV shore excursions during that cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

any new reviews for the x-rails tour? Looks like I have to book this one through Carnival since it looks like all the outside vendors won't book with Carnival pax. Before I shell out the big bucks, I would love to hear more.

• 3 weeks later...

Disliked our atv jungle n snorkel tour we booked through wild tours. During our race around a dirt track they would stop us at different areas they called ruins. Not what I was thinking they would show us :( then took us to a beach club called playas uvas I believe to eat drink n snorkel. The cab ride back was included but they refused to let us go back when we wanted to. There was 2 people from a Different cruise ship there. They wanted us to share a cab to save them money. That couple clearly wasn't ready to leave. I wouldn't recommend that tour to anyone. But learning how to snorkel was just the best! Good luck on your cruise =D

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived