Am I crazy, or what?????

We had a flight booked to London (by RCCL) overnight from Denver. Had to connect thru Houston. We had a mechanical problem that had us sitting on the runway in Houston for 3-1/2 hours! Fortunately, after some time, I asked a flight attendant to inform RCCL (had the number in documents). She did, and we had 2 buses and RCCL reps waiting for us - our bus to Southampton and another to Harwich. We boarded at 4 p.m. - the all aboard time! Now, we never fly in same day.

Also had mechanical problem in Denver for a flight to San Juan, PR which led to changing to another flight. We made it there just fine.........but our luggage did not! Fortunately, this was day prior, and our luggage did arrive the next day, tho DH and his brother had to go to the airport to pick it up.

Good luck!

LaDawn

I'm a spur of the moment kind of girl and was in the need for a vacation. A couple weeks ago I booked a 7 day cruise on the Navigator departing from Rome on 6/2/13. Here's where the crazy part comes in......

My flight is scheduled to arrive in Rome at 1:15 pm on 6/2! I understand it's about a 1 hour drive to the ship and it will take time to clear customs. I didn't think twice about the flight when I booked it but after lurking on cc for awhile I'm starting to panic.

I did pay for rci transfers so they know my flight info. Will they wait for me if I'm on their bus?

I'm sailing on Navigator 5/5. I'm glad you got a transfer so that you don't have to wait for the next train to leave. Personally, I'm flying in a day early. I was just at Civitavecchia in November and it's quite a BIG and Out Of The Way Port.

Good Luck!!

Wow! I couldn't do it. If you are fine with the fairly high possibility of missing the ship and having to catch up at the next port though, then by all means do it.

If you go to the Royal Caribbean website FAQ and do a search, you can find out what the latest time is to get into the airport for your specific cruise.

I would not have done that late of an arrival for your itinerary... I'm already freaked out about mine which is a couple hours earlier! My fiance and I are flying to Barcelona from the US for our honeymoon in October and due to our wedding schedule we are flying in the same day, but getting in at 11:40 am. We used ChoiceAir and RCCL's airport transfers and got trip insurance just to be safe (but again, there's still no guarantee). I'm hoping it all goes smoothly!

But I would definitely try to see if you can get an earlier flight...

In your favour, it is a quick and easy trip from BCN to the port. Unlike for the OP who still has a bit if travel to get out to the port from Rome.

Wow! I couldn't do it. If you are fine with the fairly high possibility of missing the ship and having to catch up at the next port though, then by all means do it.

In your favour, it is a quick and easy trip from BCN to the port. Unlike for the OP who still has a bit if travel to get out to the port from Rome.

Couldn't agree more with you Disney :) Coming from Toronto to Europe on such a time-sensitive schedule, it's not safe to bet on the airlines being an hour early. There's numerous things that could go wrong with the plane like mechanical problems, bad weather delaying take-off, luggage being lost, transfers falling through or late, or the trains on strike, etc. that you can't control. You wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any of that stuff that would make you miss your cruise.

There was a whole thread on this exact topic, flying in the day of the cruise versus flying in a day (or days) ahead of your cruise leaving. Some people said that it wasn't worth the stress of possibly missing the cruise due to flight delays or an accident on the road. Others argued they can't help but arrive the day of the cruise due to work schedules, difference in costs on flights, etc. I see both sides, but in the end, I'd want to know I'm guaranteed to make it to the ship on time and not freaking out when things go south and find out I'm not going to make it to the port on time.

If you are settled on keeping the flight you booked, it is highly recommended you purchase travel insurance. This will help you out tremendously should your flight not make it on time and you can't get to the Civitacchia port on time. The other recommendation of luggage being carry-on only is very good advice. You are already going to have to clear customs, it'd be horrible to find you have to wait for your bags -- and hopefully they will be there and not lost.

Wish you all the best for your cruise and hope you are one of the "lucky" folks that has no problems getting to their ship on time.

Im doing the same cruise but a week later and flying from the UK to Rome. The flight and transfers were both arranged by RCI. Id have been happy to fly the day before but the RCI flight leaves the morning of the cruise. We arrive in Rome at 12 noon for departure at 5pm.

I made a point of asking what if the flights delayed will the bus wait for us ? Will the SHIP wait for us?!

I was told YES the Bus will wait for us and TRY very hard to get us to the ship in time. But the SHIP would NOT WAIT for us. However as we were booked BOTH flight and transfer with RCI they would be responsible for transfering us to the next port of call and any accomodation costs that would be incured.

If i had tried to book the flight independently for the day before / or earlier in the day,even if id have arranged an RCI transfer I was told that i would be responsible for any transport / costs to get me to the next port of call.

So Im happy that we will get there in time and if we are delayed / shrug we get a free night in a hotel in Italy some where and some nice pasta / pizza and wine :)

I think youre cutting it really tight but if youre willing to take the chance id go for it, as long as you can have a back up plan and enough cash to get you to messina the next day :) If you have the money , shrug just treat it as another day of your holiday and smile :)

Thank you. I did see that the port was very close to the airport in Barcelona. I'm trying to figure out if there is any way we can logistically fly in the day before...

Our trip to Barcelona in Oct 2011 it took us about 30 minutes from Airport to Hotel. We stayed at the Barcelona Universal which was about a 5 to 7 minute drive, which was to the left of our Hotel so from the airport add another 10 minutes. For you I would think it would be a straight shot. I will google it and see if I can narrow that down.

Our trip to Barcelona in Oct 2011 it took us about 30 minutes from Airport to Hotel. We stayed at the Barcelona Universal which was about a 5 to 7 minute drive, which was to the left of our Hotel so from the airport add another 10 minutes. For you I would think it would be a straight shot. I will google it and see if I can narrow that down.
Sorry for going off topic but how was the Barcelona Universal Hotel as I will be staying there next week, also who/what did you use to get there? Again sorry for the hijak.:o

Where do you get this fairly high possibility from? Do you have facts or just made it up? I will agree it's better to go in early but I have personally traveled from the US to Europe the same day without a problem. I have also witness cruise lines wait for hours to wait for passengers on late planes. Just this last Saturday Mariner of the Seas scheduled for a 4:30 departure waited 6 hours for folks to arrive and did not depart until 10:30! That being said I am going in a day early to Barcelona to board the MOS next weekend.

We are flying into Venice the day of our cruise from London, however, we land mid morning- so should be in plenty of time. This is an RC fly cruise package and our TA said the ship has to wait a certain time, or they get you to the first port of call. I hope this info is correct as we are new to cruising and have to rely on what we are being told by the TA and what we have learnt on CC.

NELBLU.............

yes we were compensated for having to pay for the water taxi to our hotel and it was very simple. I did get a receipt, so I made a copy of the receipt with a letter and our confirmation number and within about 4 weeks we received a check. The check of course was for US dollars and was the current exchange rate, so we did not lose any money.

it was Air Austria and we will never fly with them again. I do truly mean NEVER.

NELBLU.............

yes we were compensated for having to pay for the water taxi to our hotel and it was very simple. I did get a receipt, so I made a copy of the receipt with a letter and our confirmation number and within about 4 weeks we received a check. The check of course was for US dollars and was the current exchange rate, so we did not lose any money.

it was Air Austria and we will never fly with them again. I do truly mean NEVER.

Thanks, I got concerned because I got the feeling that no compensation was forthcoming. My concern is that we have a Mediterranean cruise coming up in August on the Serenade OTS sailing from Barelona. Our flight leaves from JFK (Lufthansa) and we have a stop in Frankfurt. The upside is that we arrive in Frankfurt at 5:30 am and Barcelona at 9:45 am, which allows some leeway. This is the first time we booked air thru ChoiceAir for the protection offered, if any unusual problems.

I too believe you are cutting it way too close. We flew from NY to Istanbul last fall for a cruise- fortunately, we were scheduled to arrive one day prior to sailing. Twenty four hours before takeoff, the airline went on strike. We were able to book flights on another airline, but would have missed the sailing if we were scheduled to arrive on sail date.

Also, if you booked through a TA or perk concierge (think credit card travel services), they can easily help you out of a bind anywhere in the world. Have a wonderful trip!

"Clearing customs" is a non-issue in Rome. Make sure you don't get in the "Passport Control" line for Italians, and you'll zip right through. Also be sure the passport guy stamps your passport, or you might be questioned on your return flight. Our experience is a cursory glance before he tosses it back.

We had to fly in day-of last year, and made a pact not to freak out if we were delayed. There are numerous flights from FCO to Catania, then ample of transportation from there to Messina. We would have been sorry to miss the first night of our cruise, but once my international flight is airborne, it's all good. I wouldn't have been to unhappy spending the night on Sicily, enjoying a sumptuous meal with Nero D'Avola, eating cannolis with the world's best coffee.

Do stick with carry on, if possible. The longest wait at FCO is for luggage.

So jealous. We still have 176 days to go.

Where do you get this fairly high possibility from? Do you have facts or just made it up? I will agree it's better to go in early but I have personally traveled from the US to Europe the same day without a problem. I have also witness cruise lines wait for hours to wait for passengers on late planes. Just this last Saturday Mariner of the Seas scheduled for a 4:30 departure waited 6 hours for folks to arrive and did not depart until 10:30! That being said I am going in a day early to Barcelona to board the MOS next weekend.

I do not think anyone could have specific "facts" about how likely it would be that the flight, luggage, traffic, etc will all work out or not in this specific set of curcumstance :rolleyes: My guess would be that there is about a 1 in 6 chance that she will miss the ship though (or at least the all aboard time, maybe a little better IF the ship waits--then again I would not want to be the reason a ship is waiting; I would feel terrible about that).

I am basing it on my own extensive travel experiences and that of people I know who travel. Flights are delayed pretty often. Traffic in Rome can be a nightmare even if her flight gets in on time or early and her luggage makes it out quickly. This person has very little leeway.

I do not really know if the ship would wait, but I doubt they would wait a very long time given that they have passengers embarking and debarking in Messina the next day--they need to arrive at that port in time to clear and debark passengers (most of whom are locals but some of whom might have their own flights to catch).

Again, I did not even say she should not do that. I said I would not and that if she is comfortable with the risk and would be okay catching up in Messina if she does miss it then to go ahead. But thanks for jumping all over me though:rolleyes:

J

I do not think anyone could have specific "facts" about how likely it would be that the flight, luggage, traffic, etc will all work out or not in this specific set of curcumstance :rolleyes: My guess would be that there is about a 1 in 6 chance that she will miss the ship though (or at least the all aboard time, maybe a little better IF the ship waits--then again I would not want to be the reason a ship is waiting; I would feel terrible about that).

I am basing it on my own extensive travel experiences and that of people I know who travel. Flights are delayed pretty often. Traffic in Rome can be a nightmare even if her flight gets in on time or early and her luggage makes it out quickly. This person has very little leeway.

I do not really know if the ship would wait, but I doubt they would wait a very long time given that they have passengers embarking and debarking in Messina the next day--they need to arrive at that port in time to clear and debark passengers (most of whom are locals but some of whom might have their own flights to catch).

Again, I did not even say she should not do that. I said I would not and that if she is comfortable with the risk and would be okay catching up in Messina if she does miss it then to go ahead. But thanks for jumping all over me though:rolleyes:

Sorry didn't mean to jump all over you. However by your own admission you give a 1 out 6 odds of missing or a 5 out of 6 of making it and this is without waiting. Seems like good odds to me and a high possibility of not missing the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I've done three "fly in day of" cruises in Europe from the East Cost of USA - Venice, Rome and Copenhagen. Rome was the closest call, but everything worked out just fine.

Depends on your penchant for "adventure"! Of course, always buy insurance to cover surprise expenses.

Thank you. I did see that the port was very close to the airport in Barcelona. I'm trying to figure out if there is any way we can logistically fly in the day before...

We were there in November and flew in a day early just because Barcelona is a place NOT to be missed!!!! :D

You really need a few days to see it. ~

We were there in November and flew in a day early just because Barcelona is a place NOT to be missed!!!! :D

You really need a few days to see it. ~

We actually hadn't planned on doing anything there simply because of our flight schedule... i.e. no time between the plane and the ship! I believe my fiance has been to Barcelona but I never have. If we can swing a day early, then that would be nice to see... however, I'm not terribly upset about missing it. As long as I see the rest of the ports on the itinerary, I'll be very content :D

We actually hadn't planned on doing anything there simply because of our flight schedule... i.e. no time between the plane and the ship! I believe my fiance has been to Barcelona but I never have. If we can swing a day early, then that would be nice to see... however, I'm not terribly upset about missing it. As long as I see the rest of the ports on the itinerary, I'll be very content :D

I would be terribly upset. Our cruise left from Barcelona, and it was by far my favorite stop!! :D

I have to agree with the other poster, if you can make time to see Barcelona, even for a day, do! It is one of my all time favourite cities :)

J

Sorry didn't mean to jump all over you. However by your own admission you give a 1 out 6 odds of missing or a 5 out of 6 of making it and this is without waiting. Seems like good odds to me and a high possibility of not missing the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

So I guess it boils down to what you call good odds. I think that is much too high of a chance of missing the ship for me to be happy with it. I would be a stressed out mess the entire flight.

I would be less bothered if the next port were Naples or Livorno, somewhere that could easily be reached by train. Anything where the next port required getting a last minute flight into that city, in the window that the ship will be there? Nope. Too much stress for ME.

Archived