Trapped in a wal-mart

AFuncruiser

And your point IS? Just got off the Breeze on Sunday. BRAND NEW ship, $639 pp in a balcony, on the Lido. 9 Days, 8 nights. Really? RCCL Oasis/Allure were literally TWICE as much. I don't need to climb a rock wall, or surf on a fake wave....

You go in with the right expectations......

My point is you can fill any ship at the prices CCL has had for the last month.

CCL couldn't get RCI prices before the incidents. If they tried they'd sail empty.

Bill

We all have to move on at some point.....Im sure it will be my grave before I oust Carnival.........OH ....BY!!!!!

Wow! Having only cruised with Carnival you have no base to compare Carnival to any other cruise line. Try a Royal Caribbean cruise just for comparison.. You just might be surprised. I know I was.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

I'm going on my first cruise in 2 weeks. On the Valor! I have low blood pressure and have fainted a few times from having to stand still too long. Hopefully I don't faint during muster. That would ruin my night, but I hope it wouldn't ruin anyone else's!

You can tell an deck officer and they will take you to a place where you can set down during the exhausting drill..

Dennis

I was very disappointed with my recent cruise On the Carnival Valor. It started with a 9:30pm lifeboat drill with screaming children and fainting ladies and it was down hill from there.. The cruise director obviously loved to hear his own voice as the announcements seemed endless and at odd hours. There were screaming children running up and down the hallways after midnight. I thought the pool area was more like a pit or arena. I miss the front facing lounges that are on most other cruise lines.

In General I felt I was trapped in a Wal-Mart while on board.

With 47 cruises under my belt, a Carnival Platinum cruiser and Carnival stock holder I regret to say that other than the convenience of the Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville I never care to take another Carnival cruise.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

532 days at sea

47 cruises

12 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

We did muster drill at 12.30 am due to ship being delayed into port of Tampa ( fog). After waiting to board for 12 hours I am with 11 and 4 years old was nothing but tired and cranky alone with 3 K other passengers. I was carrying my little guy into the ship and to the muster drill. Next day my husband tripped and messed up his knee. Couldn't walk without cane for the rest of the cruise and another month after. We still manage to have great time on the Legend - loved the ship, crew, islands. The only food we really did not care much.

Carnival will never get what other lines are charging. They can't offer the same experience.

I disagree!

I have paid more to cruise on other lines and found the experience to be just as good as Carnival. I found the “premium” line experience based on those who post on CC to be highly overrated. I have never had a bad cruise on any line. They all have good and bad points. JMHO

Carnival will never get what other lines are charging. They can't offer the same experience.

I disagree. I paid double for both my rcl cruises. although the second cruise on them was a tad better, I find the service and food on carnival to be much better. rcl was $5000 i'll never get back. I even thought of giving them a 3rd try (3rds the charm right?) my dates for early may...didn't care. for oasis inside room alone...$1800 per person!!:eek: what!! I don't need all that crap, and from the past 2 times crappy food and service. even their 3 day cruise was $500 per person for an inside room. went with the fascination. I know what I get with carnival. best bang for the buck

I disagree. I paid double for both my rcl cruises. although the second cruise on them was a tad better, I find the service and food on carnival to be much better. rcl was $5000 i'll never get back. I even thought of giving them a 3rd try (3rds the charm right?) my dates for early may...didn't care. for oasis inside room alone...$1800 per person!!:eek: what!! I don't need all that crap, and from the past 2 times crappy food and service. even their 3 day cruise was $500 per person for an inside room. went with the fascination. I know what I get with carnival. best bang for the buck

That's strange because the early may rccl 4 day cruise I was looking at just yesterday was half that. And the three day was even less. Not sure where you're looking...

Also, although I agree that carnivals food used to be better, after my cruise this year on carnival I definitely can't say that anymore. Besides the pizza and the steakhouse, everything else I ate that week was cold and bland. My bf who had been on a carnival cruise more recently than I had also agreed that it was not at all as good as it used to be.

ETA: I don't think it's fair to compare oasis/allure prices with anything on carnival because those ships are in an entirely different league. But even 1800 for an inside seems high since i was looking at December and it was less than $800 a person on oasis.

Can't believe a Carnival Platinum cruiser is so surprised at the experience of cruising on Carnival. Strange. Anyway, to us, WalMart's not so bad, when you like "volume" cruising, and there's no Neiman Marcus in town anyway.

I really do not get the feeling the OP is commenting on the ship or the cruise line, it sounds more like he is commenting on the people on his cruise. As we all know, that varies depending upon the time of year. However, the way the cruise line manages those people can have a negative impact on the cruise experience.

You can tell an deck officer and they will take you to a place where you can set down during the exhausting drill..

Dennis

:rolleyes: OK but I'm still trying to understand why a fainting lady ruined your cruise experience?? :confused:

Heck, I like Walmart..Maybe its just our local Walmarts but I see no issue with them. Same food and common products as the higher retail stores at a cheaper price. My Walmart savings help me cruise....:D

^^^^^:)

Haven't made it past page one on what's evidently today's hot topic. However, for the poster opining using WM when NM isn't around..you've never been in NM during a sale when all the haute narcissitic fashionists are milling about treating employees like lower class servants and snipping at everyone else.

I know what I get with carnival. best bang for the buck

You mean, a cheap cruise?

But if you're a "give me a bucket of beer and I'll be happy" kinda person, I guess Carnival does give you the best bang for your buck.

You mean, a cheap cruise?

But if you're a "give me a bucket of beer and I'll be happy" kinda person, I guess Carnival does give you the best bang for your buck.

Heres what Carnival gives me on a cruise and what I expect for the price I pay:

Decent sized room cleaned and made up 2x a day (ice bucket filled too)

Good Food with Good Service - Anytime dining

Room Service

Good Entertainment

A place to relax in the sun and enjoy the ocean

Transportation to multiple islands

For the price I pay, this is a good bang for my buck.

Heres what NCL gives me on a cruise and what I expect for the price I pay:

Smaller rooms cleaned 2x a day (ice bucket filled too)

Good Food with Good Service (more choices for a fee) - freestyle dining

Room Service

Great Entertainment

Transpotation to multiple islands

Heres what Disney gave me on a cruise and what I expect for the price I pay:

Larger rooms cleaned 2x a day (ice bucket filled too)

Great Food with Great Service - traditional dining with rotating restaurants and the unbeatable Palo

Room Service

Great Entertainment

The Disney Experience

Transportation to multiple islands including the best private island

For the price I paid, this was a good bang for my buck when my kids were little and got the most out of the Disney Experience.

It's all about expectations, individual tastes and wants, and how much you are willing to pay for it. Most of the time we just want a relaxing vacation on the ocean, visiting multiple ports. We don't expect great food and entertainment on Carnival, for the price we pay, good is satisfactory, great is a bonus. If we were sailing for entertainment we would choose another ship, pay a little more, and expect great entertainment (like we did with the Epic). For me I get the best bang for my buck when my experience lives up to or exceeds my expectations at the price I paid...so far that has happened on all of our cruises on CCL, NCL, and DCL. But we tend to sail with realistic expectations about what we are paying for.

Decent sized room cleaned and made up 2x a day (ice bucket filled too)

Good Food with Good Service - Anytime dining

Room Service

Good Entertainment

Transportation to multiple islands

Heres what NCL gives me on a cruise and what I expect for the price I pay:

Smaller rooms cleaned 2x a day (ice bucket filled too)

Good Food with Good Service (more choices for a fee) - freestyle dining

Room Service

Great Entertainment

Transpotation to multiple islands

Heres what Disney gave me on a cruise and what I expect for the price I pay:

Larger rooms cleaned 2x a day (ice bucket filled too)

Great Food with Great Service - traditional dining with rotating restaurants and the unbeatable Palo

Room Service

Great Entertainment

The Disney Experience

Transportation to multiple islands including the best private island

For the price I paid, this was a good bang for my buck when my kids were little and got the most out of the Disney Experience.

It's all about expectations, individual tastes and wants, and how much you are willing to pay for it. Most of the time we just want a relaxing vacation on the ocean, visiting multiple ports. We don't expect great food and entertainment on Carnival, for the price we pay, good is satisfactory, great is a bonus. If we were sailing for entertainment we would choose another ship, pay a little more, and expect great entertainment (like we did with the Epic). For me I get the best bang for my buck when my experience lives up to or exceeds my expectations at the price I paid...so far that has happened on all of our cruises on CCL, NCL, and DCL. But we tend to sail with realistic expectations about what we are paying for.

Interesting observations on the food.

We found Disneys food offerings and quality to be the worst at sea, simply covered by that gimmick of rotating dining.

We actually found NCL's food to be superior.

We once thought CCL's food to be very good, then they downgraded it I'm the 90's, actually thinking we were too stupid to notice they took Lobster off the menu. Boy, that was some PR campaign when they brought it back.

Our last CCL cruise actually found the food inferior, and unfortunately, on a ship that did not have a steakhouse. So we were forced to fill up at restaurants when we pulled into port. One night, after sending our plates back a third time, we just told them to forget it, and we got our pickin's up at the Lido restaurant.

I was too disgusted after that cruise.

Very well said! That's why some of the OP complaints just don't make sense to me. He's a platinum cruiser for crying out loud and he comes back here and complains about the ship not having forward facing lounges like other cruiselines. Carnival isn't other cruiselines and I'm sure he knows by now how to research a ship before he books it. He had to have known that the Valor doesn't have forward facing lounges. That was an unrealistic expectation right there expecting the cruiselines to offer the same things. They're different. They can't just magically make one appear because that's what he wants. If you want a forward facing lounge then go on a cruise ship that has what you want.

Different strokes for different folks! He (and many others) doesn't like Carnival it's no skin off Carniva's back. Call Carnival the "Walmart of the Seas"?? Great!! I'll say this though (I rarely shop at Walmart, I prefer and LOVE Target but I digress) Walmart AND Carnival are obviously doing something RIGHT!! Walmart is the #1 retailer in the nation and Carnival is the #1 cruiseline too. It seems like other lines might be better suited for him: Celebrity, Crystal, etc. God forbid anyone faint on one of his cruises though which could very well be more likely to happen since they tend to cater to an older demographic (for the most part) than Carnival. :rolleyes:

I've yet to have a "bad" cruise experience and I hope I never do. I'm an optimistic go-with-the-flow kind of woman so it takes a lot for something to spoil my vacation. I will be sailing RCI for the first time next year and I'm excited to try something different. One thing I will NOT do though is go on a RCI ship expecting the same things as Carnival. ;)

Decent sized room ...

Warm Breezes-

Very Well Said! I agree with you on all points! I have traveled CCL and RCCL and have had very pleasant, yet different experiences, on both lines. Many people have stated this and I truly believe the adage that a cruise or any vacation for that matter, "is what you make of it!" IF you are going to relax, unplug, and be open to share new experiences and make the best of it, you will have a great time. If you set yourself up for and demand uber high expectations, you most likely will be disappointed.

Don't worry, Be Happy! Yes, a good mantra...

-Boomer

u·ber

[oo-ber]

adverb 1. having the specified property to an extreme or excessive degree; very: an uber fancy restaurant.

adjective 2. designating a person or thing that exceeds the norms or limits of its kind or class: uber intellectuals.

Also, German , ü·ber [y-buhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngr]

Interesting observations on the food.

We found Disneys food offerings and quality to be the worst at sea, simply covered by that gimmick of rotating dining.

We actually found NCL's food to be superior.

We once thought CCL's food to be very good, then they downgraded it I'm the 90's, actually thinking we were too stupid to notice they took Lobster off the menu. Boy, that was some PR campaign when they brought it back.

Our last CCL cruise actually found the food inferior, and unfortunately, on a ship that did not have a steakhouse. So we were forced to fill up at restaurants when we pulled into port. One night, after sending our plates back a third time, we just told them to forget it, and we got our pickin's up at the Lido restaurant.

I was too disgusted after that cruise.

DH and I both agreed that we liked Disney food the best. He prefers Carnival food over NCL. I find them to be too similar to choose between them. It's all subjective :).

I think it is funny to read about how some of you describe the people at Wal Mart and on Carnival ships.

I bet they go home and laugh about the way you look, too !!!

Both Wal Mart and Carnival are the biggest in the world and many try to disparage them, but they still appeal to the majority of the population.

:rolleyes: wonder if the domain name 'peopleofcarnival' is available... :p

Hope you feel better after your rant!!!:confused: Sorry you did not have a good time.

Maybe you should check into the cruises before you book, you can find out a lot that way.

I know you are a seasoned cruiser, maybe you need to lighten up a bit... (IMHO):D

I am looking forward to my cruise on the Valor, so I won't let you review affect my fun!!!:eek: C.G.

Wow. Hope you feel better after your little smackdown.

What, specifically, should they have "checked into" in order to avoid the issues cited?

"Hello, Carnival? Yes, may I have the phone number of each of the passengers sailing with me, please? I want to call them and ask if their kids are brats before I fully commit to this cruise. K? Thanks."

I don't think the poster's intent was to infringe upon your fun in any way.

Lighten up. :rolleyes:

I have been a Police Officer for 25 years. During my career, I've dealt with people from all socio economic classes. It didn't take long to figure out that where a person shops, what clothes they wear, or how their hair is cut does not determine what kind of person they are.

It's a little disturbing to see all of the posters who seem to feel superior because they can afford to sail a more expensive cruise line.

I have been a Police Officer for 25 years. During my career, I've dealt with people from all socio economic classes. It didn't take long to figure out that where a person shops, what clothes they wear, or how their hair is cut does not determine what kind of person they are.

It's a little disturbing to see all of the posters who seem to feel superior because they can afford to sail a more expensive cruise line.

Good post...and oh so true!

No! No! No!

Not at all "superor," but rather sad.

Our very first cruise was on Carnival and we loved it so much that we attained Platinum status.

Unfortunately, the beards in Miami decided over the last two years to cut the product to bare bones and to concentrate marketing to new cruisers at the expense of those who were loyal to the product.

Sad! Sad indeed!

Very well said and I agree 100%. :)

Can't comment on Carnival because I've never cruised with them but as far as Walmart- I rarely shop there anymore since I've noticed that I leave there stressed out. :eek:

OP, there's nothing wrong with posting an experience or opinion, that's part of what the message boards are for. Happy cruising all!!

Archived