What to do in Curaco???

To those of you that have visited the port of Curaco, what did you do? We are sailing on the AOS and this will be our first time to Curaco and I was just looking for ideas & opinions of what to do. Thanks!

it was a year and half ago that my wife and i were there...we decided to make Curaco a "beach" stop. we located a local beach on line and decided to try it. it was not a "great beach" but had plenty of shade and beautiful water. small shops and a few grill type places to eat. i can't remember the name of it...but you could see the AOS docked way off in the distance. if i remember it was at an aquarium or similar type of place. anyways.....the whole point of this is to let you know we discovered some of the best snorkeling in this water!! bring (or rent) snorkel gear with you. there was a protective reef barrier 50 yards off shore that you could easily and safely swim to. you can find an opening in the reef and get through to the other side and there you will find an amazing paradise of ocean life....EVERYTHING. it was the best part of the cruise for us. hope you enjoy.

jsf

If you enjoy golfing, Blue Bay Golf & Beach Resort is a challenging course with excellent views. We were able to get a tee time via their website and cabbed it from the ship to the course in about twenty-five minutes. We're thinking of doing it again when we visit the island aboard Adventure next March.:cool:

We went to the same beach, but cannot remember the name. Beware that wearing tops is optional!

My favorite thing in Curacao was the photo opts...beautiful buildings! There is also a "handmade crafts" building near the dock, along with little "sale" shacks that are set up along the waterway.

Be sure to take a ride on the swinging bridge to town.

If you are interested n shopping, there is lots of shopping in the downtown area which is walking distance from where the ship docks. Some sites to see are Hato Caves which is a 3 hour tour of natural caves, Christophel Park, which is a nature preserve, and the aquarium. Many people opt to spend the day at Breezes, the all inclusive resort. I believe day passes are in the vicinity of $60. Curacao is also known for its snorkeling and diving.

Carnival Victory 7/03

Star Princess 11/04

Radiance of the Seas 9/17/05

We used the opportunity to walk across the floating bridge to shop for luggage. Our bags were slightly over the weight limit on our way down to the port, and we knew they'd be even heavier on the way back. We picked up a nice suitcase for only $20!

If you want to go to a great beach and have lunch at a beautiful outdoor restaraunt, got to Kon Tiki beach club. It's only 3 bucks per person to get in and it was terrific.

Yes tops are optional at the beaches in Curacao, my husband enjoyed that!

Curacao is one of our favorite places. It is gorgeous!

Donna

My wife and I sailed on AOS (see link to AOS photos below). Avoid the "Curacao Highlights Tour" if it's still being offered. They spend way too much time at a small history museum, the distillery tour is only of the gift shop, and the aquarium tour, although nice, makes you wish you signed up for the swim-with-the-dolphins tour next door. I hear the dolphin tour is a must if you can afford it, however.

We've been there twice. The first time we went snorkeling and it was a blast. It wasn't the best spot of all of the islands that we've been to for snorkeling but still quite enjoyable.

Curacao is also a good stop to wander, eat, drink, and shop, in case you just want to hang out near the ship.

I agree - Highlights tour was somewhat of a waste. I did enjoy sampling the booze though. Aquarium was very nice. There is a tram tour of down town - very nice and we also took the Jewish Herritage tour. both let you off down town where you can get a nice lunch overlooking the water then walk across the swing bridge back to the ship.

Couple of shopping centers and local vendors too. A good place to buy memory chips for your digital camera too - half of what the ship wanted - or more precicely - I got a 256mb chip for what the ship would have charged for a 128mb

The bridge is a very wide walkway from one side of the canal to the other. It floats and then opens up when a boat needs to pass through. While opening, if you are caught on it before making it all the way across, you get a ride. It swings to one side and you are back where you started.

it was a year and half ago that my wife and i were there...we decided to make Curaco a "beach" stop. we located a local beach on line and decided to try it. it was not a "great beach" but had plenty of shade and beautiful water. small shops and a few grill type places to eat. i can't remember the name of it...but you could see the AOS docked way off in the distance. if i remember it was at an aquarium or similar type of place. anyways.....the whole point of this is to let you know we discovered some of the best snorkeling in this water!! bring (or rent) snorkel gear with you. there was a protective reef barrier 50 yards off shore that you could easily and safely swim to. you can find an opening in the reef and get through to the other side and there you will find an amazing paradise of ocean life....EVERYTHING. it was the best part of the cruise for us. hope you enjoy.

jsf

Sounds like the beach at the Curacao Sea Aquarium. Small, but nice. Decent facilities and a reasonable taxi ride.

http://www.curacao-sea-aquarium.com/

In the morning, we went on the ship's sponsored snorkel tour. It went to one of the best sites we have been to. It is has sunken tug and a wall drop that is fantastic. On the ride back, we saw dolphins and flying fish. In the afternoon, we walked around town and enjoyed the Dutch style architecture painted in bright Caribbean colors. The floating market is fun to explore. Boats are lined up along a pier with everything you can imagine from food to gifts.

We were there in April and went to Kon tiki Beach..it was great! Restaurant, bar, clean restrooms, calm, warm water. Very near the ship..I think it was about $10 for a taxi and $3 pp to get in. It is tops optional and my DH has the photos to prove it:mad: ! Spend a few hours at Kon tiki and then do the bridge thing to town. A perfect day.

Can you book Breezes

BEach and resort club online prior to arriving Curacao or does the rccl offer that as an excursion or do you just book it when you arrive at their gate. I think I would like to do the all inclusive beach resort. Are water sports included or is it just food & drinks along with being able to swim on their property? How far is Breezes from where the ship docks? Also how far is the closest beach from where the ship docks?

Can you book Breezes

BEach and resort club online prior to arriving Curacao or does the rccl offer that as an excursion or do you just book it when you arrive at their gate. I think I would like to do the all inclusive beach resort. Are water sports included or is it just food & drinks along with being able to swim on their property? How far is Breezes from where the ship docks? Also how far is the closest beach from where the ship docks?

Breezes is about a 10-15 minute cab ride from where the ship docks. We had a wonderful week at Breezes in January 2005 and they have an outstanding pool/bar/restaurant area that would make for an excellent day trip. I know when we were there, day passes were available for ship passengers. I'm trying to find out if RCI offers this, or do we have to arrange it with the resort directly?

Is Breezes an adult only resort or can the whole family go? Do you just take a cab there?

I was looking into all inclusives yesterday and visited Breezes website. Breezes Curacao is listed as a family resort. It looked pretty nice to me.

I was looking into all inclusives yesterday and visited Breezes website. Breezes Curacao is listed as a family resort. It looked pretty nice to me.

Breezes is a great resort - it is family oriented for sure, but there are lots of secluded areas perfect for couples. We enjoyed the fact the resort had everything we needed to just sit back and relax - which we did! They have 2 specialty restaurants as well, one Italian and one Japanese/sushi - they were both very good. You will definitely enjoy Breezes. In case you decide to book it - request a room in the Tower building, it is much newer than other parts of the resort.

Hi, I called Sandles/Beaches and for Jamaca for a day pass it is $85 per adult and includes all but a room, kids were $35each. Go on google and search for resorts on the island you want and then you will find a toll-free number and you can call and ask all the questions you want. Good luck!!

We were in Curacao in April and my son (26) and sister (45) went swimming with the dolphins. They both raved about what a WONDERFUL experience it was. They both bought the pictures that were taken by the aquarium and the look on their faces was pure joy. They both said it was well worth the money for the great experience they will probably never have again. Check it out.:)

Archived