GTY Staterooms

No cabins in any category? Or just in the category offering gty?

How far out is the cruise?

If the cruise date is quickly approaching, the cruiseline may know cabins are held but not yet booked; in all likelihood some will not really finalize the booking. They may expect cancellations, and wish to sell cabins to maximize profit. In either of those cases, they must sell gty cabins, as they cannot know which cabins may come available. And if all those held cabin really make full payment and nobody cancels, the cruiseline might have a backup plan. for example there might be contractors or entertainers or insiders scheduled to occupy some cabins...if need be, those cabins could be made available to passengers.

We've booked guaranty inside cabins four times.

Maybe the right answer, is that if you book GTY within a specific category, it is a "bonus" if you are upgraded, not a guarantee. If you take that approach you will NOT be unhappy with whatever cabin you are assigned. you'll save some money and maybe have an opportunity to get a free upgrade.

The first, Disney Magic transatlantic, we were upgraded to an o/s cabin on deck 5, obstructed view. Now mind you, twice the price dropped, I called to get a refund rather than onboard credit. I would NOT have been given a refund or shipboard credit had I not been vigilant and called. Our first Disney cruise. Yes, we were delighted! The ship was less than 50% capacity.

The second time was Celebrity Galaxy, Greek Isles. We were on the second deck, a standard inside cabin. I was expecting an inside cabin and we had one. I was satisfied and my husband was gravely disappointed. He expected because of our Select status with Celebrity that we would automatically get a balcony upgrade. The ship was only 75% capacity.

The third booking was with Celebrity Infinity, Alaska 2012. Again, we booked Z GTY inside cabin. We received an outside cabin on deck four. Although, we were first given deck two, inside cabin and I called to ask for the Select Status upgrade. Of course, they are ONLY available, if space is available.

The fourth booking, RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, May 2013 we booked Z GTY inside cabin for May 2013. Our assignment as it is, is #2029, deck two, M category (three lower categories, Q & N). I know that GTY cabins are not given "final" assignments until two weeks before sailing. Subsequently, there is always time for an upgrade, if someone requires a 4 person inside cabin, as we are only two. We saved $500 by going this way, enough to pay for the granddaughters helicopter to the glacier and snow dog excursion. Absolutely, no regrets! Ship is 75% booked at this point.

Is Z GTY worth it? That depends on your expectations. If you expect, a considerable upgrade, you are likely to be disappointed. If you know that you are booking an inside cabin and you get an inside cabin, you'll concentrate on the savings.

Another thing to consider is that you can request an upgrade at checkin (for a few of course). Often times, the price is considerably less than had you originally booked that category.

Is it normal for there to be no cabins left but guarantee staterooms? Thanks!

It is when the ship is close to capacity. You are also much more likely to be upgraded.

For example, a family needs a cabin for four inside cabin. There are no such cabins available. Those with GTY are bumped up to make room for the family of four that requires an inside cabin.

As you note, for insides only gty is available. I can see a few cabins in other higher categories. If you book an inside gty, odds are an inside cabin will open up and you will be given that inside. the cabin could be in a noisy location. t could be way at one end of the ship far from an elevator. as long as you feel you can accept any cabin, even a less desirable one, go ahead and book a gty. I have booked many of them and I will again for the right price.

We've booked guaranty inside cabins four times.

Maybe the right answer, is that if you book GTY within a specific category, it is a "bonus" if you are upgraded, not a guarantee. If you take that approach you will NOT be unhappy with whatever cabin you are assigned. you'll save some money and maybe have an opportunity to get a free upgrade.

The first, Disney Magic transatlantic, we were upgraded to an o/s cabin on deck 5, obstructed view. Now mind you, twice the price dropped, I called to get a refund rather than onboard credit. I would NOT have been given a refund or shipboard credit had I not been vigilant and called. Our first Disney cruise. Yes, we were delighted! The ship was less than 50% capacity.

The second time was Celebrity Galaxy, Greek Isles. We were on the second deck, a standard inside cabin. I was expecting an inside cabin and we had one. I was satisfied and my husband was gravely disappointed. He expected because of our Select status with Celebrity that we would automatically get a balcony upgrade. The ship was only 75% capacity.

The third booking was with Celebrity Infinity, Alaska 2012. Again, we booked Z GTY inside cabin. We received an outside cabin on deck four. Although, we were first given deck two, inside cabin and I called to ask for the Select Status upgrade. Of course, they are ONLY available, if space is available.

The fourth booking, RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, May 2013 we booked Z GTY inside cabin for May 2013. Our assignment as it is, is #2029, deck two, M category (three lower categories, Q & N). I know that GTY cabins are not given "final" assignments until two weeks before sailing. Subsequently, there is always time for an upgrade, if someone requires a 4 person inside cabin, as we are only two. We saved $500 by going this way, enough to pay for the granddaughters helicopter to the glacier and snow dog excursion. Absolutely, no regrets! Ship is 75% booked at this point.

Is Z GTY worth it? That depends on your expectations. If you expect, a considerable upgrade, you are likely to be disappointed. If you know that you are booking an inside cabin and you get an inside cabin, you'll concentrate on the savings.

Another thing to consider is that you can request an upgrade at checkin (for a few of course). Often times, the price is considerably less than had you originally booked that category.

Hey, we were on that first Disney TA with you. Also on deck five. To this day my favourite cruise ever :)

I'am also on the Radiance and booked an oceanview gty. For the last 3 weeks I have been assigned rooms in not so great locations. I had my TA put me back in the gty pool. Yesterday the room I was assigned was the very last room 3144 on deck 3 rated a really bad room on CC. I couldn't go back into a gty as it wasn't available at the price I booked. I had no option left but to pay more and go into a balcony gty. My agent told me the ship is pretty much sold out.

Good Luck. I don't think I'll go with a gty agian unless it's really far out with lots of staterooms available.

lovcruzing, where did you find ratings on cabins? I just noticed our cabin assignments and we were given cabins that can occupy 4 (we are parties of 2). Not sure why they wouldn't want to sell cabin to 4. As of this morning, the Interior category is sold out. I don't get it.

I am already booked in an inside cabin next month on the Rhapsody, but OV gty (category y) is now $100 less pp than my inside. I've never booked a gty- would this be worth it or would that low of a category and how do I know what rooms are considered part of the y category?

lovcruzing, where did you find ratings on cabins? I just noticed our cabin assignments and we were given cabins that can occupy 4 (we are parties of 2). Not sure why they wouldn't want to sell cabin to 4. As of this morning, the Interior category is sold out. I don't get it.

The ship may have sold so many rooms with 3rd and 4th passengers that they have to limit to only 2 per room now. Or have done that in your lifeboat section and have to limit at least your section. The ships cannot legally fill every berth--some MUST stay empty.

On our cruise last October, the last month of bookings they could only put two in a room, no matter WHICH room. Even the Family suite was being sold with a limitation of only 2.

I am already booked in an inside cabin next month on the Rhapsody, but OV gty (category y) is now $100 less pp than my inside. I've never booked a gty- would this be worth it or would that low of a category and how do I know what rooms are considered part of the y category?

if you book Y, you could get any OV cabin in any category of Oceanview cabin. Or theoretically, you could get a higher category like a balcony...but do not get your hopes up for that. on your sailing many of the available OV cabins are on deck 2 with a few on deck 3 or 4. these cabins may be way forward or way aft. they might be near the anchor (noise). can you accept any of those cabin happily? If so, I'd try to upgrade to the Y...you may not be able to if the rate is for "new bookings only", but try if you want the OV. If you like your current inside location better, stay put. I'd ask to go to the Y...I like natural light.

Archived