Coral's aft Sanctuary question

mouseterd1

I'm very fair haired/skinned and will be traveling FLL to Vancouver May 4th. After reading Sanctuary threads, I'm thinking that the Coral's aft Sanctuary is possibly not the place for me as that type of direct sunshine I could not do for more than 10 minutes or so. Sounds like the Coral's space could be totally exposed to the sun with no covered shaded space that many of the other Princess ships offer? and we are traveling east to west also as another person pointed out on another thread.

I hope I am so wrong as we wanted to book a lounge seating for this trip as we do not have a balcony cabin and know that we would enjoy the peacefulness of the space and the aft pool.

Thoughts on this one. If no hope of getting a shady spot, we may as well head to the MDR for lunch once we board. :(:(:(:(

For the FLL to Vancouver itinerary, you're right in that it would be exposed to sun. Once the ship turns north, there'll be some shade.

A great area out of the sun that has loungers and a pool is the covered Lotus pool. Rarely busy and it's covered and shaded. You can enjoy the pool and/or hot tubs. I personally think the loungers here are more comfortable than the Lido pool area. Probably because they don't get as much use. Oh, and it's free. :)

Here are a few photos of the Coral's Sanctuary. There is some shade in the lower level, and the cabanas have a roof, but the upper level is pretty much uncovered. Unlike most of the Princess Sanctuary's, which have a large covered roof, the Coral is much more exposed. It really depends on the direction you're sailing and the angle of the sun as to whether they'll be sun or shade.

7190023217_9c62bd95e9_z.jpg

Coral Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

7375238684_0f7656845e_z.jpg

7190018215_99c30ae0f1_z.jpg

7390910924_b94b35066a_z.jpg

I'm very fair haired/skinned and will be traveling FLL to Vancouver May 4th. After reading Sanctuary threads, I'm thinking that the Coral's aft Sanctuary is possibly not the place for me as that type of direct sunshine I could not do for more than 10 minutes or so. Sounds like the Coral's space could be totally exposed to the sun with no covered shaded space that many of the other Princess ships offer? and we are traveling east to west also as another person pointed out on another thread.

I hope I am so wrong as we wanted to book a lounge seating for this trip as we do not have a balcony cabin and know that we would enjoy the peacefulness of the space and the aft pool.

Thoughts on this one. If no hope of getting a shady spot, we may as well head to the MDR for lunch once we board. :(:(:(:(

We did the FLL to LA portion of your cruise. Unless you can get up there soon enough to book one of the four cabanas (no extra charge), I would suggest you don't book the sanctuary. If you look at that second photo that shows all of the loungers in the shade, that is only when you are going southbound. Once you transit the canal and turn north, all of those loungers face south and they are in full sun 90% of the day :( The Cabanas have partial curtains. On the Island, the Sanctuary attendants provided us with binder clips to hold the curtains closed and provided us shade. A "jury rigged" solution, but it did work.

How much is the Sanctuary? I have heard that you can get a half day pass also. Is this true and how much is a half day?

Thanks

$10/half day and $20/full day. Most ships discount to $15/day if you book for the entire cruise.

As the pictures indicate, there is lots of shade if you can get on the first level right at the back. The two cabanas were booked practically by the first two platinums that boarded on our cruise, so don't hold your breath.

$10/half day and $20/full day. Most ships discount to $15/day if you book for the entire cruise.

Thanks, those are not bad prices. I think I will book at least a half day. Can you book in advance of getting on the ship?

For the FLL to Vancouver itinerary, you're right in that it would be exposed to sun. Once the ship turns north, there'll be some shade.

A great area out of the sun that has loungers and a pool is the covered Lotus pool. Rarely busy and it's covered and shaded. You can enjoy the pool and/or hot tubs. I personally think the loungers here are more comfortable than the Lido pool area. Probably because they don't get as much use. Oh, and it's free. :)

I agree, that space was our favorite on the ship. There are great big windows that you can view the world going by and...the ice cream place is right there too:)

Just got off the Coral for the 14 day Panama on saturday and booked the sanctuary for the entire cruise at 15.00 a day. (Canal day was extra, but we opted out to move around ship.) Worth every penny and then some. Two of us did opt for shaded loungers and it was perfect. Friends went and took 2 in the full sun and baked. We went straight there to get first choise when we boarded.

Archived