Just say NO to salon product pushers

I had a Brazilian blowout, which is a keratin treatment, on my hair before our sailing on the Paradise in December. I can use only their specific products, which I brought with me in unlabeled travel bottles to my formal night updo appt. I explained how the products were sulphate-free and infused with keratin, so could not use or purchase any other product, as they might ruin the expensive treatment. This stopped the obligatory sales pitch! I wish I could have thought of this for my first sailing in college, when I felt the pressure and bought $130 of product with money I could have spent on booze or a snorkeling excursion! I plan to do the same on my Victory sailing next year. So ladies take note--a beautiful updo is possible without blowing up your s&s card. Tell me if this is unethical.

Tell me if this is unethical.

Why would it be unethical? You're under no obligation to purchase anything from the salon or spa. If you don't want the sales pitch, tell them after you get your hair done that you're not interested. Learn to say "NO."

Wouldn't it be nice if they would just ask near the end of your salon service "Would you like to hear more about our salon products or services?" Then people could easily reply with yes or no. So simple and would be so much less annoying.

I got my hair cut and colored on the Paradise last summer only because I simply had no time to do it at home. The hairstylist I had was fantastic!!! She did not push anything on me at all. I told her straight out and in a polite way that I would not be buying any product. My experience was so good that I am going to do it again soon on the Victory.

Why would you get your hair done on Carnvial in the first place?

You would be better off doing it before the trip...

From what I read, the OP did get her hair done prior to the cruise. The appointment was for an up-do for formal night. An up-do prior to the cruise wouldn't look very nice after sleeping on it a few times.

Up-do and blow out sounds like a horrible flash back to the 80's. I get visions of Cindy Lauper and Debbie Gibson. Perhaps I have the wrong impression??

Lol, no Cindy Lauper. He did an amazing job, with a little bouffant height in front and curls

spilling down over one shoulder a la movie star. I enjoyed many compliments that elegant night, but yes, it was awful to sleep on! I wore a baseball cap the next day at Grand Cayman.

Admittedly, I am an Iowa girl, but a little on the meek side. I feel almost obligated to the Carnival staff since they don't get paid much. Or maybe the salon staff does, since they get comission on the atrociously priced products!

OP -- how has your blowout held up to swimming in the ocean (if you've done so)? Leaving in a week for our cruise, and don't want to destroy my Brazilian!

I would be sure to slather my hair with sulphate-free conditioner and pin it up tightly! Are you

planning to snorkel? Salt water is bad on keratin treatments, but hey, you only live once! Have a fantastic time.

I had a Brazilian blowout, which is a keratin treatment, on my hair before our sailing on the Paradise in December. I can use only their specific products, which I brought with me in unlabeled travel bottles to my formal night updo appt. I explained how the products were sulphate-free and infused with keratin, so could not use or purchase any other product, as they might ruin the expensive treatment. This stopped the obligatory sales pitch! I wish I could have thought of this for my first sailing in college, when I felt the pressure and bought $130 of product with money I could have spent on booze or a snorkeling excursion! I plan to do the same on my Victory sailing next year. So ladies take note--a beautiful updo is possible without blowing up your s&s card. Tell me if this is unethical.

Hey Misty,

Why devise a plan when you simply follow your own advise to all pushy vendors...JUST SAY NO! IT WOULD HAVE SAVED YOU $130 ALREADY.

Or you could beat'm to the punch by getting your hair braided before your cruise:rolleyes:

My dog, who is a female, who, BTW, has a beautiful "fur-doo".

After a bath, she simply shakes and air-dries...This works for her even after swimming, and carrying a dead animal

in her mouth...Might want to try it, minus the dead animal...just saying;)

Al

I usually don't get my hair done on ship, but I would imagine that the up sell is always there. But to look at it honestly , they are just doing what the cruise line expects them to do , sell. Can't blame them for trying , same as with all the photo's , if you are not interested just say no thank you.

Hope the OP has a great cruise .

Cori

I'm sailing next month and will get the Coppola Express done the week before my cruise. I just had it done 3 weeks ago to see how manageable my hair would be with the treatment. I generally have straight hair but with a little moisture in the air, my hair gets excited and I look like Chaka Kahn.

I didn't buy the aftercare products but use "It's a 10" shampoo and conditioner with Keratin and the leave-in potion with Keratin and it's worked and held up great!

With that being said, the cruise spas do push products. I remember on our first cruise last year on the Oasis, my hubby and I got a couple's massage. Afterwards, they came in and pushed products onto us and we ended up spending $300 on stuff that we brought home and never used. The sales pitch did ruin the afterglow of the massage, and it seemed like while saying no they would push harder and made it hard for us to leave the room.

Lol, no Cindy Lauper. He did an amazing job, with a little bouffant height in front and curls

spilling down over one shoulder a la movie star. I enjoyed many compliments that elegant night, but yes, it was awful to sleep on! I wore a baseball cap the next day at Grand Cayman.

Admittedly, I am an Iowa girl, but a little on the meek side. I feel almost obligated to the Carnival staff since they don't get paid much. Or maybe the salon staff does, since they get comission on the atrociously priced products!

I think Don's wife on Mad Men had that look this past Sun night. (apr '68)

923340_10152795899060327_1290657357_n.jpg

I had my hair cut on my last cruise and wasn't sorry at all - no product push. It was so nice to relax and enjoy having it done - they rolled the sink to me instead of me moving around. It was quite heavenly. I'd do it again.

It saved me from rushing around pre-cruise to get this last minute thing done. I also like mani/pedi on board since they get ruined packing/unpacking - traveling.

It is absolutely not unethical--you have no obligation to buy or need to feel bad by not buying their over-priced products. I suppose they do get a commission on sales, but I have become very good at saying no.

I feel it's (slightly) unethical to do a hard sell and/or intimidate people into buying. Just say no thanks and if necessary say no thank you, I will not be buying any product, period (unless of course you do want something.)

I have never had my hair done on board and I have no idea how much the spa area employees are paid, but on many ships a gratuity is added automatically to the bill. I was under the impression the spa/beauty employees worked for another company, like Steiner, and were probably better paid than stewards, etc.

To everyone saying we're under no obligation- that's absolutely true. But I think we all know to cut the spa a wide berth and not to look the women in the eye because they will draw us in with their sales pitches. Can you imagine if you were sitting there, with wet hair, like a prisoner, while they swarmed around offering products? Yikes :eek:.

The few times I've gotten spa services I've always been advised of what they would recommend for home use. I just say no thanks and don't feel pushed in any way. I think they probably have a quota to meet set by their employer to sell product.

I owned and operated a hair salon for 16 years and sold product there. We weren't pushy about it and probably had lower sales because of it. The thing that was odd to me was people would say they loved the feel of their hair after services from us, so I would show them the products we used. For some reason, plenty of people thought it didn't have anything to do with the product and were fine using drug store hair product that would never give the same results. Like we had magic blow dryers or brushes or something. The other odd thing was there were people who would buy from beauty supply stores and pay more than what we charged for the same product. Go figure.

I do feel that the Elemis product sold on most cruise ships is outrageously priced. I have purchased a couple products over the years and have had regrets when I got home. There are a lot of good quality brands for a lot less, even in hair salons :p.

I wouldn't use the spa on the ship, for obvious reasons:D, but they will be under pressure to retail to clients. If anyone is overly worried about it just tell them when you book the appointment that you do not want anyone pushing products and would just like to come in and enjoy your treatment.

Re pushing products after a couples massage and spending $300 on said products, being in the field I just can't imagine what they could be selling you related to massage that would cost that much? I can understand with hair or skincare but not massage.

And re messing up man/pedi, well we know the answer to that one, good old Shellac!

I wouldn't use the spa on the ship, for obvious reasons:D, but they will be under pressure to retail to clients. If anyone is overly worried about it just tell them when you book the appointment that you do not want anyone pushing products and would just like to come in and enjoy your treatment.

Re pushing products after a couples massage and spending $300 on said products, being in the field I just can't imagine what they could be selling you related to massage that would cost that much? I can understand with hair or skincare but not massage.

It was skincare products. My husband has really bad acne and scarring on his back and premature aging on his face from too much sun exposure. The facial moisturizer alone was $150.

Archived