Pink Sand??

WelshTraveller

Hi I have been following the sea glass thread with interest and there seems to be a restriction on taking it - I guess if I wanted some I would just pick out a tiny piece?

Anyhow, I had been planning on bringing back a little plastic bottle of pink sand as a souvenir for myself and plan to do something crafty with it (I have some adorable little glass bottles)

Does anyone know whether I will be allowed back on Explorer with it?

Any advice/guidance would be very much appreciated as I am a first time cruiser and don't want to get into trouble!!!

Many Thanks

Liz xx

Hi I have been following the sea glass thread with interest and there seems to be a restriction on taking it - I guess if I wanted some I would just pick out a tiny piece?

Anyhow, I had been planning on bringing back a little plastic bottle of pink sand as a souvenir for myself and plan to do something crafty with it (I have some adorable little glass bottles)

Any advice/guidance would be very much appreciated as I am a first time cruiser and don't want to get into trouble!!!

Many Thanks

Liz xx

Technically, it is not allowed back into the US. (No soil, sand, berm etc).

But alot of people do it without incident.

Make sure it's clean and clear from debris and "critters".

Processed (cleaned and sanitized) sand is allowed.

Thanks for your reply, good points and I just never thought of that and am now thinking about shells I have picked up on exotic beaches that are in a bowl here!!!!!

Maybe its not such a good idea after all?

The only thing I should be taking is photographs and memories :)

Many Thanks

Liz xx

We've seen several people fill small plastic bottles with pink sand for the same purpose without incident. Made a nice souvenir for their kids. We too were hoping to find some glass. On our last Bermuda cruise it was actually an agenda item if we had time, but we never made it. We may have missed our opportunity!!

Please dont turn me in to authoritys but i did bring home seaglass and sand for a jar as you have planned. :) Honestly it never occurred to me it could be a problem but i do understand why they have to restrict it. I only had a small zip lock baggy of each --- no one gave me a second glance.

you know what amazed me ~~ the pinkness of the sand varied from beach to beach and as already posted : I didnt see one sea shell anywhere .

Please dont turn me in to authoritys but i did bring home seaglass and sand for a jar as you have planned. :) Honestly it never occurred to me it could be a problem but i do understand why they have to restrict it. I only had a small zip lock baggy of each --- no one gave me a second glance.

you know what amazed me ~~ the pinkness of the sand varied from beach to beach and as already posted : I didnt see one sea shell anywhere .

When and where did you pick up the sea glass? As of at least Oct. there are two signs posted at the glass beach near Dockyard that say taking any is prohibited. As far as I know, there are no such signs at the glass beach in St. George's.

When and where did you pick up the sea glass? As of at least Oct. there are two signs posted at the glass beach near Dockyard that say taking any is prohibited. As far as I know, there are no such signs at the glass beach in St. George's.

The signs werent there in may of 2012 - that's when we were there

Oct.2012

IMG_1948.jpg

So glad I lucked out , We are thinking of walking to the other sea glass beach on the day we go to st george . We like to walk alot and it looks do~able. What do you thing? Thanks for all your input IHEARTBDA. you have been very helpful here on CC

So glad I lucked out , We are thinking of walking to the other sea glass beach on the day we go to st george . We like to walk alot and it looks do~able. What do you thing? Thanks for all your input IHEARTBDA. you have been very helpful here on CC

It is walkable; the distance from King's Square is about 1 mile. The sea glass is located at the small beach next to Alexandra Battery. For best selection, you have to time your visit for at or near low tide.

SBtS

It is walkable; the distance from King's Square is about 1 mile. The sea glass is located at the small beach next to Alexandra Battery. For best selection, you have to time your visit for at or near low tide.

SBtS

thanks SBtS , I wont have access -- where can i get tide info while we are there?

thanks SBtS , I wont have access -- where can i get tide info while we are there?

There are tides tables at Bermuda Maritime Ops but the link isn't working. So here is a substitute: http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/calendar/year/539.html

Just do a screen print of when you'll be there. The times should be already adjusted for DST. Just check against the BMO tide table before you leave.

SBtS

Archived