Is this normal?

SpeedsterX

Pardon me for asking you personal questions, but...

Wow, 3rd cruise in 4 months. How are you able to get so much time off work for cruising? This isn't about the cost, but actually getting time off work. It seems like most companies give 10 days a year maximum, and never all of them at once. I know I had to fight tooth and nail just to get time off for my 2 cruises so far. Are you working for a European company? Do you have a great boss? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

To me this seems a bit personal and strange to want to know. But...

OP did say that the first was a 7 day, second was a 5 day, and third is a 4 day cruise. With a 4 day cruise, you technically could get by with only taking two vacation days and have it line up with your weekend to total the 4 days. By that thinking, if you didn't take any extra time on either side of each cruise, you could do all 3 cruises with only 10 vacation days used. And that's assuming you have a two day weekend (some people have longer). I, for example, get 33 days off per year (20 vacation days and 13 sick days). If I take a block of 5 vacation days at once, I can actually get a total 10 days off. I could get off work at 5:30am on a Monday and not need to be back at work until a week and a half later at 3pm on a Thursday. So it's really quite easy and not as uncommon as you think to do what OP is doing (depending on the job and benefits that you have).

Wow, 3rd cruise in 4 months. How are you able to get so much time off work for cruising? This isn't about the cost, but actually getting time off work. It seems like most companies give 10 days a year maximum, and never all of them at once. I know I had to fight tooth and nail just to get time off for my 2 cruises so far. Are you working for a European company? Do you have a great boss? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

My husband gets 4 weeks off a year for vacation. He can take them all at once or spread them out.

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for replying. I guess frequent or long vacations aren't the norm for the field I work in: information technology; it's notorious for having inadequate vacation time. It's probably something I should have researched back in college, but oh well. My colleagues have to fight for their time off too, and they have to carry their cell phones if they take it. Luckily, they don't use international phones, and they won't pay for shore to ship calls. So I took up cruising. And discovered something really great.

Wow, 3rd cruise in 4 months. How are you able to get so much time off work for cruising?

Not all jobs are Mon-Fri, 9-5. I get between 12 and 18 days off every month at my job, and I can play with my monthly schedule in order to lump a few of those if I need to take a vacation. 3-5 day cruises are easy, but 7 day cruises are harder unless I'm using actual vacation days.

Like you, I fly out of South Bend, IN, as I live in Elkhart. Wish I would have thought of Allegiant, this time I am driving to Detroit spending the night in a park and fly hotel, then flying to Orlando the next morning.

I HATE conncting flights. I will be 2+ hrs in the air, instead of 5 or 6.

And, I will save some money.

I used to spend the night at the Sleep INN South Bed Airport, and leave my car there. Get shuttled over to the airport. For the price, it beats parking in the airport lot.

If you have a cancellation of your flight, wouldn't travel insurance take care of that?

Melanie

Couldn't you get a friend or family member to drop you off at the South Bend airport? Would seem to be much easier on you.

I am a Police Officer with 13 years. So I get 11 personal days to use as I wish. I also get 2, 2 week vacations a year.

I work a 6 day on/ 3 day off shift weekly. I have a certain amount of personal days that I use to connect the 3 days off. I can also trade days with other co-workers which means if I trade a day, then I'l have to work an extra day in a week.

My first cruise this year was a planned vacation. The second cruise I just used personal days connected to my 3 days off my weekly schedule. This third cruise I did the same and traded a couple of days. I still have a full vacation scheduled for this July still. After that, I will have to trade all days I want off until December. Works out pretty good.

don't you love it!!!?? lol. I love the low fares, I do know they will eventually raise again. I love allegiants prices! I was looking at them into Sanford/Orlando for a jetblue interview but the price was really hight (440 rt) plus rental car to Orlando. we also looked at them to go into Sanford for a cruise out of port Canaveral, but the dates didn't work with us. enjoy your cruise!

THAT'S the trick right there! The days and times have got to work. It takes some digging around and patience but something usually pops up that works out. With the cruise prices this low and the airfare working in my favor, it's a no brainer. It also helps that I have family in Orlando that actually likes me. LOL! I don't waste money on hotels or rental cars. The only drawback is, I cannot cruise out of any other port than Cape Canaveral or my costs double. Although I do plan on a 10 day with Princess next March out of Miami (or Ft.Lauderdale, can't remember which) to Aruba, Curacua etc.. That will be regular vacation days and it WILL be more expensive.

We save up 12-16 months for a cruise for the 3 of us. We budget cruise tickets at 1200.00 for all 3. So far it has worked, last cruise was about 950.00 for all of us.

Flight to port is where the money adds up, at times the same cost. Our last flight was a super deal but we drove 5-6 hours down to Minneapolis, landed and waited forever in Chicago, took off and landed in Kentucky, sat and waited hours, took off and landed in Tampa. Lots of messing around but it got the 3 of us there and back for under 600.

It also helps that I have family in Orlando that actually likes me. LOL! I don't waste money on hotels or rental cars. The only drawback is, I cannot cruise out of any other port than Cape Canaveral or my costs double. Although I do plan on a 10 day with Princess next March out of Miami (or Ft.Lauderdale, can't remember which) to Aruba, Curacua etc.. That will be regular vacation days and it WILL be more expensive.

How about Tampa? It's only only about 90 minutes from Orlando.

How about Tampa? It's only only about 90 minutes from Orlando.

I could but any other port costs me either hotel or rental cars which bring the price up. In Orlando, I can always get dropped off at Orlando Int. and get a shuttle to Cape Canaveral. I haven't seen a shuttle to Tampa but I haven't really looked so I could be wrong. Either way, I'm not sure cruises going out of Tampa go anywhere that the ones out of Cape Canaveral doesn't. I'll have to look into that. :)

I could but any other port costs me either hotel or rental cars which bring the price up. In Orlando, I can always get dropped off at Orlando Int. and get a shuttle to Cape Canaveral. I haven't seen a shuttle to Tampa but I haven't really looked so I could be wrong. Either way, I'm not sure cruises going out of Tampa go anywhere that the ones out of Cape Canaveral doesn't. I'll have to look into that. :)

I got two great deals on Jewel OTS out of Tampa last spring, only 4 days, but they were cheaper than any prices you could find in public. $200 total for one of them.. $600 for the other in a JS. total ..

If I find a special deal I am willing to fly. I think Id have to rent a car though to get from Orlando to either S. Florida or Tampa to make it worth my while to fly to another city. I did get almost desperate enough on the first one to fly to Orlando if I could have found a decent price. It was spring break I think .. the leg home they wanted like $250 or more pp.. some crazy fare.

So, its a good idea for a back up plan.

Now I leave for my 3rd cruise within 4 months in 2 days! Is this normal?

Carnival has GOT to raise the prices so I am forced to stay home for a while! lol

Anyone else do this or do I have a problem? Maybe I need an intervention!

This is our fourth cruise in 4 months also:

Grand Princess in December

Oasis of the Seas in March

Carnival Imagination last week and

Carnival Ecstasy day after tomorrow -will we see you on board???

Safe travels!

Now I leave for my 3rd cruise within 4 months in 2 days! Is this normal?

Carnival has GOT to raise the prices so I am forced to stay home for a while! lol

Anyone else do this or do I have a problem? Maybe I need an intervention!

Safe travels!

Oh to live in Florida so I could cruise more than once a year. We're doing our 3rd B2B next January since we have to fly.

Safe travels!

You're fortunate to live in Florida! I'd be on a ship every weekend if I lived there! lol

Yes! You'll see me onboard the Ecstasy in 2 days! Can't wait!

To me this seems a bit personal and strange to want to know.

Well, I've been thinking about changing my career lately; that's why I asked. (Yeah, I know, I'm talking about work on a cruise forum :o.) And unlike 10 years ago, when I first went into information technology without really knowing what it's like to work in it, being able to vacation regularly is very important to me now. So I was curious which job fields have better work/life balance than others, or if it's just a matter of who your boss is. Because I've been seeing posts about people taking numerous vacations that I can't even fathom my employer giving to anyone.

Apologies for the intrusive questions. But the answers would be very helpful. After all, I'd like to do most of my cruising before my Holland America days :D.

If you like a bargain, you can't beat Allegiant Air! I fly out of Rockford, and prices are way better than O'Hare or Milwaukee, plus no parking fee whatsoever, and the flights are direct. There are several more Allegiant airports within 2 hours and if the price is low enough, I don't mind the drive.

Add that to a bargain rate on Carnival, and you're doing great.

Well, I've been thinking about changing my career lately; that's why I asked. (Yeah, I know, I'm talking about work on a cruise forum :o.) And unlike 10 years ago, when I first went into information technology without really knowing what it's like to work in it, being able to vacation regularly is very important to me now. So I was curious which job fields have better work/life balance than others, or if it's just a matter of who your boss is. Because I've been seeing posts about people taking numerous vacations that I can't even fathom my employer giving to anyone.

Apologies for the intrusive questions. But the answers would be very helpful. After all, I'd like to do most of my cruising before my Holland America days :D.

It's all good. I was the one that would have been offended if it was possible and I was not. Did you see my answer to your question? :)

I'll continue the off topic here for a moment and say that perhaps the problem isn't wholly with IT as a field but the particular segment you are in. If you are working as the only sysadmin for a small company/department then, yeah, it might be really tough. Going enterprise level can give you more flexibility as can consulting or services type work. As does staying with a company for more than a couple years. I think that's a big problem. Shuffling around and working your way up through *different* employers is super common within IT but that can really play havoc with your HR-type benefits. Good initial hiring negotiation can help with that.

It's hard to find time within any busy field but finding an Awesome Employer seems to be the trick. Now if only every employer were an 'Awesome Employer", *grin*.

Couldn't you get a friend or family member to drop you off at the South Bend airport? Would seem to be much easier on you.

I am 64, and when my husband was alive, we kept to ourselves. As a result, no close friends, and our relatives do not live nearby.

There is only two neighbors that know I will be gone, one lives next door (he can use my parking space while I am gone), and the one across the street who gathers my mail.

Botj work during the day, so they can not drive me.

Other than those two, I have a trust issue. If or people know, they tell their friends, etc...lol. I come home to a cleaned out house.

Melanie

I am 64, and when my husband was alive, we kept to ourselves. As a result, no close friends, and our relatives do not live nearby.

There is only two neighbors that know I will be gone, one lives next door (he can use my parking space while I am gone), and the one across the street who gathers my mail.

Botj work during the day, so they can not drive me.

Other than those two, I have a trust issue. If or people know, they tell their friends, etc...lol. I come home to a cleaned out house.

Melanie

I'm very sorry for your loss. You are still YOUNG! Go out and make friends and live life! I can already tell by your contribution here that you are social! Get out there girl!!!!!

I just had to comment because I've been thinking the same thing! We (me and DS12) leave on our 3rd cruise in 6 months on June 1. Haven't told anyone yet because I'm sure they will think we are crazy! We can't help it--we love to cruise. My son gets to make tons of friends and hang out, and Mom gets much needed relaxation and pampering. Plus, we get the beaches and the ocean. It doesn't get much better than this!

Archived