Carnival private island?

Busymomof4

2 years ago we cruised on the Pride to the Eastern Caribbean. One of our stops was at Half Moon Cay (private Island). It was absolutely wonderful. I don't see it listed as a place to go on the Carnival site anymore. Why did they do away with it? Anyone know? :confused:

Thats because Half Moon Cay [HMC] belongs to Holland America Line, When HAL is not using it, Carnival tends to use for there ships, However when a Holland America Ship is in HMC no Carnival Ship goes there, since it belongs to HAL. MS Zuiderdam is sailing year round Caribbean till next year, Many say that next summer Carnival will be more then happy to use the island since no ship will be there next summer. It wont be listed in any brochure, Since no Carnival Ship is guranateed to stop there.

Thats because Half Moon Cay [HMC] belongs to Holland America Line, When HAL is not using it, Carnival tends to use for there ships, However when a Holland America Ship is in HMC no Carnival Ship goes there, since it belongs to HAL. MS Zuiderdam is sailing year round Caribbean till next year, Many say that next summer Carnival will be more then happy to use the island since no ship will be there next summer. It wont be listed in any brochure, Since no Carnival Ship is guranateed to stop there.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. It was such a beautiful and fun place. I'll have to check it out next summer and see if they stop there again.

Carnival President Bob Dickinson has confirmed that Carnival Cruise Lines is actively seeking to purchase their own Bahama island. They may have done so already or it's possible they haven't found anything suitable yet. Either way it will take some time to develop and brand it once the island is acquired.

The CARNIVAL PRIDE did call at Holland America's Half Moon Cay for one season as I recall. It hasn't been repeated as I believe there were too many scheduling conflicts not to mention that Half Moon Cay is really a "brand" of Holland America, not Carnival.

Ernie

Carnival President Bob Dickinson has confirmed that Carnival Cruise Lines is actively seeking to purchase their own Bahama island. They may have done so already or it's possible they haven't found anything suitable yet. Either way it will take some time to develop and brand it once the island is acquired.

The CARNIVAL PRIDE did call at Holland America's Half Moon Cay for one season as I recall. It hasn't been repeated as I believe there were too many scheduling conflicts not to mention that Half Moon Cay is really a "brand" of Holland America, not Carnival.

Ernie

They should buy NCL's island as they have done nothing to bring that island along compared to the other lines.

Doesn't Carnival own HAL? If so, they technically already own a private island but the other posters are correct, Half Moon Cay is used by HAL. I was on the Pride when it went there. It is absolutely beautiful. Softest sand I've ever walked on. I would love to see Carnival get a private island that would be used by Carnival only.

.........I would love to see Carnival get a private island that would be used by Carnival only.

I think that would be a great idea. PCL (Premier Cruise Lines) used to own a little Abaco island (Salt Cay) when we first cruised with them on the Majestic back in the late 80’s. It was a beautiful little island and the side where the ship docked had hammocks on the beach, picnic tables, and a BBQ pavilion (free). The other side had a coral reef and it was great for snorkeling. I also remember a rustic outdoor theatre where they had a pirate type of show at night. Of all the places I’ve been on a cruise that was by far my favorite.

Doesn't Carnival own HAL? If so, they technically already own a private island but the other posters are correct, Half Moon Cay is used by HAL. I was on the Pride when it went there. It is absolutely beautiful. Softest sand I've ever walked on. I would love to see Carnival get a private island that would be used by Carnival only.

Carnival Corporation and Carnival Cruise Lines are two different things. Both Holland America and Carnival Cruise Lines are owned by Carnival Corporation and are brands as such. Holland America owns Half Moon Cay, so it's up to them (and parent Carnival Corporation) if they want to let Carnival Cruise Lines ships call there. Frankly I don't blame HAL if they don't want to (and I don't think they do). HAL developed the island at their own expense exclusively for HAL passengers, not Carnival's. It's a great marketing tool for HAL and they took great care to brand the island as an extension of an HAL cruise. If Carnival Cruise Lines suddenly wants their own island, let them purchase and develop one for their own ships and clientele, with it's own style, attractions, and branding.

For years Carnival Cruise Lines shunned the idea of a "private island", instead opting for a "fun day at sea" and promoting the idea that a day onboard a "fun ship" is far better than spending the day at a private island. Times have changed and these private islands have proven themselves very popular ... so much so that they consistently rank as the best "port" of a Caribbean cruise by many passengers. I think Carnival Cruise Lines has seen the light and now they must play "catch up". I think Carnival Cruise Lines will have it's own island soon, at least in time for the debut of Pinnacle Project currently in the design phase.

Ernie

Don't remember where I read it, but I thought that Carnival was developing the other half of Half Moon Cay for Carnival passengers. Anyone else read this???:confused:

Never read this (but anything is possible). I recently read a quote where Carnival President Bob Dickinson has stated Carnival is actively seeking it's own island. This very well could be it's own beach (and name) on Half Moon Cay, or something completely different. One thing is for sure, it's appears Carnival will eventually get it's own private island/beach.

Ernie

We were also on the Pride when it visited Half Moon Cay....very beautiful! So much nicer than RCL's CoCo Caye!

Also, if I am not mistaken, "SALT CAY" is Blue Lagoon Island which Carnival does tours to from Nassau.

FYI, Holland America's "Half Moon Cay" and Disney Cruise Lines "Castaway Cay" are the two highest rated private islands. They are considered the best of the best .... with Disney coming in slightly ahead I believe.

What is great (and unique) about Disney's Castaway Cay is the ship actually docks there (no tendering). This was pretty much unheard of in private islands until Disney came along. Disney spent massive amounts of money on engineering and infrastructure modifications to make it happen. That is what you call commitment and putting passenger convenience first!

Ernie

Archived