Packing for Alaska Cruise on Silver Shadow

psbern

Plan to bring it all but the kitchen sink. The most important piece of clothing you should bring is a high-quality rain jacket. And, if you plan to do any hiking, dog sledding, or zip-lining, you should also consider a pair of high quality rain pants.

Finally, formal wear is not needed on any Silversea cruise, unless of course you'd like to dine in The Restaurant or Le Champagne on a formal night. Otherwise, you'll be fine and welcomed in your jacket and tie at La Terrazza. Of course, no jacket or tie is necessary in your suite if you prefer. Plenty of options for you to choose from.

Hi,

Was browsing these boards because we are doing the Mediterranean on the Cloud in a few weeks.

I saw your Alaska post. We have been there twice, once in May where we found the weather to be in the 60's and 70's and once in Sept., where it was cold and rainy.

As a previous poster stated, rain gear and I would add, some type of hiking shoes. Bring layers, it can be cold one day and warm the next. There is no set season weather wise in Alaska, so you just have to be prepared.

I do suggest doing the helicopter to a Glacier, and one of the Jeep Tours thru the old mining camps. The Float Plane is also a great experience.

I did find that Alaska was one of the hardest cruises to pack for.

Barbara

Just adding to what Barbara said what makes Alaska more complicated is that the weather not only changes year over year or day to day but can change multiple times within the day. The key is to bring daytime clothing that you were off the ship that you can layer. Do bring a waterproof jacket, waterproof pants and waterproof shoes and a sweater or fleece or sweatshirt and a hat and scarf. You may need some of these items or all of them depending on the weather.

Keith

Just received embarking docs for Silver Shadow stating that formal night is OPTIONAL for 7 day cruises in the Med, Baltic and ALASKA. Only a jacket is required.

We depart in less than two weeks for a 10 day Alaskan cruise. I assume our cruise has two formal nights. But I scoured our cruise docs after I saw your post just to make sure. I can't find that info. I'm sure it is there and I am just missing it. Please help guide me to the right page/place! Thanks

We depart in less than two weeks for a 10 day Alaskan cruise. I assume our cruise has two formal nights. But I scoured our cruise docs after I saw your post just to make sure. I can't find that info. I'm sure it is there and I am just missing it. Please help guide me to the right page/place! Thanks
Here's a nice link to the evening dress code that you'll experience on your 10-day Alaskan voyage SuzCruise. Your first night will be casual and I hope you enjoy your two formal nights. I know we sure did during our Alaskan cruise.

The reason your cruise documents didn't discuss the new Optional Formal policy is because it doesn't take effect until June and it's only for voyages of 7-days.

Have a great trip!

Sunglasses and an extra pair of regular glasses if you wear them (I believe in this for all trips). Also, bring a silk scarf or pashmina-type scarf to wrap around your neck when out walking. You can pull it over your head if it starts to rain. I find that a warm neck and warm hands helps with cold.

We were on the Shadow the first week of September and our helicopter pilot to the glacier said he'd never seen such clear skies. He seemed really excited about being able to see the mountains from Juneau. I never wore the rain pants I took. Had the gloves in my pocket. Did wear a headband to keep ears warm and hair out of face.

It did rain in Ketchikan and I just pulled up my hood on the light jacket. Layers!

A glasses strap (also called a croakie) is a good idea on any cruise. It keeps your glasses from falling into the water (it does happen.. ). The strap goes around the back of your neck and the ends secure onto the back end of the earpiece. You can find croakies in serious marine supply and sporting goods stores.

Archived