auto tipping

buzzandjulie

could someone please tell me if auto tipping is available and if so how does it work. Who is included of staff. I am confused it looks like only wait staff is included and I should plan to tip room steward on my own

Tipping is automatic. It's $11.50 day and charged to your sail & sign account. Stewards are included, along with waitstaff. You are welcome to tip more, if desired.

Room service and are bar not included. 15% will be added on to any bar orders.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the automatic tipping is 11.50 per day per person.

I was wondering on a 7 night 8 day cruise, is it 11.50x7 or do they charge for each of the two partial days (11.50x8)?

One day can be quite a difference depending on the size of the group.

I was wondering on a 7 night 8 day cruise, is it 11.50x7 or do they charge for each of the two partial days (11.50x8)?

7 nights so it would be 7

You can see on carnival.com how the cruise is listed, as a 7 or 8 day.

Another way to tell is to count how many nights you will be onboard.

the first day some VIPs may be onboard by 10:30 or 11 am.. so its pretty much a full day. Some seem to want to wait to board to have less of a line, but thats up to you how full of a day the first day is.. the cabin steward still have to get your cabin ready in the morning the day you board, and then later to do turn down. Its a busy day for him.

On a 7 day cruise with embarkation day being day 1 you will be charged for 7 days of tips. They don't charge anything for debarkation day because it's not counted as a day of your cruise.

In addition to waitstaff and cabin stewards other parts of the tip are given to behind the scenes type people. Not included are management type employee's like the Maitre' D, Cruise Director and other salaried type employee's.

The $11.50 per day per guest is split as follows:

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

Does anyone know if you tip your room steward or wait staff individually, in addition to the automatic tips, do they get to keep that money or does it go into the "pool" to be divided later on?

We like to give additional tips for good service as these people work so hard to make our vacation special.

Does anyone know if you tip your room steward or wait staff individually, in addition to the automatic tips, do they get to keep that money or does it go into the "pool" to be divided later on?

We like to give additional tips for good service as these people work so hard to make our vacation special.

I hope not, i do auto tipping but i always tip my room steward and waiter extra so i truly hope they don't have to share it.

I hope not, i do auto tipping but i always tip my room steward and waiter extra so i truly hope they don't have to share it.

There is the whole tipping debate thing on here that is forever ;)

Some claim the cruise line takes a portion of the staffs auto grats so they want to hand tip everyone who they feel deserve a tip

Some claim that if you remove tips and pay in cash they must turn it in for the "pool"

Its pretty common sense if its me and my cabin steward in my cabin and I hand him money thats for him and its not being "pooled".Only me and him know ,I can keep a secret :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am opening a Sail and Sign account with cash, no credit cards. Do they take the $11.50 per day out right away or is it included on the invoice at the end of the cruise? This is my first cruise and I'm just trying to figure out how much cash to bring. Thanks!

I am opening a Sail and Sign account with cash, no credit cards. Do they take the $11.50 per day out right away or is it included on the invoice at the end of the cruise? This is my first cruise and I'm just trying to figure out how much cash to bring. Thanks!

I think the charges show up on the second or third day on your account

You can call Carnival and pre pay tips too .It takes 5 minutes and your booking number

It shows up on the second day usually. You can prepay them and not worry about it at all.

There is the whole tipping debate thing on here that is forever ;)

Some claim the cruise line takes a portion of the staffs auto grats so they want to hand tip everyone who they feel deserve a tip

Some claim that if you remove tips and pay in cash they must turn it in for the "pool"

Its pretty common sense if its me and my cabin steward in my cabin and I hand him money thats for him and its not being "pooled".Only me and him know ,I can keep a secret :)

a lot of that information on that thread is not true or misleading. Crew staff get to keep all of the tips-- be in in cash or the automatic tips.

Bar waiters, etc do share in a pool- (i think this is where people get confused.-

Keeping the tips in place and give extra to those who go over and beyond is a good way to to the tipping.

Most crew staff prefer the auto tipping. it goes on their checks-- which some of that is sent home. taking the tips off and paying in cash the person then needs to see the "banker" and deposit the money.

a lot of that information on that thread is not true or misleading. Crew staff get to keep all of the tips-- be in in cash or the automatic tips.

Bar waiters, etc do share in a pool- (i think this is where people get confused.-

Keeping the tips in place and give extra to those who go over and beyond is a good way to to the tipping.

Most crew staff prefer the auto tipping. it goes on their checks-- which some of that is sent home. taking the tips off and paying in cash the person then needs to see the "banker" and deposit the money.

That thread ,did you mean my post ?

could someone please tell me if auto tipping is available and if so how does it work. Who is included of staff. I am confused it looks like only wait staff is included and I should plan to tip room steward on my own

heres the scoop.

if you pay in cash, 100% of your tips goes to whomever you give it to; there is no pooling, and goes to your personal service staff.

if you do autotip, 82% goes to your service staff, and the rest goes to carnival. they use that to help pay the salaried staff, who get the same amount of pay regardless. they have already taken that money from you through your fare.

heres the scoop.

if you pay in cash, 100% of your tips goes to whomever you give it to; there is no pooling, and goes to your personal service staff.

if you do autotip, 82% goes to your service staff, and the rest goes to carnival. they use that to help pay the salaried staff, who get the same amount of pay regardless. they have already taken that money from you through your fare.

Not true. If you pay cash, your cabin steward and waiter must tip out their assistants. You do not hold out.

That $2 bucks ( the missing 18%) is split among the Lido staff, dancers who assist bingo, the pizza chefs, deli sandwich makers, the wok workers. You keep trying to mislead folks.

Not true. If you pay cash, your cabin steward and waiter must tip out their assistants. You do not hold out.

The assistants are hired by the cabin steward. He pays them what is promised. Sometimes you will see a different assistant in the night from the day. and the assistants can vary each day

The assistants are hired by the cabin steward. He pays them what is promised. Sometimes you will see a different assistant in the night from the day. and the assistants can vary each day

So now cabin stewards hire their assistants ;)

I thought that was the cruise lines job to do at least

gotta love false information

So now cabin stewards hire their assistants ;)

I thought that was the cruise lines job to do at least

gotta love false information

the cruiselines'do not hired assistant cabin stewards . if a steward has many cabins because he inherited a block of rooms from some one who just left he will go to his friends who are trying to move'up the ranks. stewards are lucrative jobs. he will get his friends from the kitchen, the laudry, etc. the assistnat can work as long as it does not interfere with his-her real job on the ship

the cruiselines'do not hired assistant cabin stewards . if a steward has many cabins because he inherited a block of rooms from some one who just left he will go to his friends who are trying to move'up the ranks. stewards are lucrative jobs. he will get his friends from the kitchen, the laudry, etc. the assistnat can work as long as it does not interfere with his-her real job on the ship

Here you go

http://www.cclcareers.com/fun-careers/hotel-operations/housekeeping.aspx

False information ;)

actually, serena is right. some stewards regularly hire other cruise personel as their assistants during those workers regular off hours. this way, they can increase the amount of cabins that they service, thereby increasing their take. it is their responsibility to pay those individuals.

That $2 bucks ( the missing 18%) is split among the Lido staff, dancers who assist bingo, the pizza chefs, deli sandwich makers, the wok workers. You keep trying to mislead folks.

first, clearly the option of who, how and when one tips is in the hands of the tipper. i was never guilted by tipping cash when that was the only option, nd certainly not today when it is simply an alternative. i guess some must think some on board worked for free until autotipb started.

and you are wrong that the $2 is split amoungst anyone. that money goes to carnival to pay their salary. salaried employees do not receive tips.

the waiters that are rotated through the lido restaurant are already covered by your $5.80 dining room daily tips. you may actually see your own servor there, unless you eat all three* meals in the mdr.

actually, serena is right. some stewards regularly hire other cruise personel as their assistants during those workers regular off hours. this way, they can increase the amount of cabins that they service, thereby increasing their take. it is their responsibility to pay those individuals.

first, clearly the option of who, how and when one tips is in the hands of the tipper. i was never guilted by tipping cash when that was the only option, nd certainly not today when it is simply an alternative. i guess some must think some on board worked for free until autotipb started.

and you are wrong that the $2 is split amoungst anyone. that money goes to carnival to pay their salary. salaried employees do not receive tips.

the waiters that are rotated through the lido restaurant are already covered by your $5.80 dining room daily tips. you may actually see your own servor there, unless you eat all three* meals in the mdr.

So now cabin stewards can tell management how many cabins they want and branch out ;) whos the Tony Soprano of cabin stewards

Im pretty sure they all get the same amount of cabins regardless of one may tell you

Lets be real they are all their to work and nothing else if one cabin steward could be able to take all of the lido deck cabins he would

Archived