NCL = Old. Stereotypes about NCL.

I was at a party this weekend telling some friends we booked a cruise. I had the strangest responses ever. One told me that I shouldn't go because December is the tail end of hurricane season (we are Dec 8) and it is too much of a risk- bizarre, because the chance of a December hurricane is extremely small historically, and they just generally go to other ports- ships sail all hurricane season.

There were a few other comments, but the one that baffled me was "Oh, gosh, don't go on NCL! That's for old people."

Where did this stereotype come from? When the line first started was it more like HAL or Cunard? I have never heard of NCL being 'old' and freestyle actually seems to be more young.

I think all the mass market lines cater towards families. We don't have kids, but are 30 somethings.

Any other NCL stereotypes I should prepare for? Any of them true?

Actually yes, they used to be quiet and older with Bingo being the highlight. No parties or dancing that made an impression.

I can remember standing on the deck with my husband many years ago docked next to a Carnival ship that was partying hard and wishing I was there.

Now I find NCL to be great with great music, dancing and parties. They've really upped their game with Freestyle!

I was at a party this weekend telling some friends we booked a cruise. I had the strangest responses ever. One told me that I shouldn't go because December is the tail end of hurricane season (we are Dec 8) and it is too much of a risk- bizarre, because the chance of a December hurricane is extremely small historically, and they just generally go to other ports- ships sail all hurricane season.

There were a few other comments, but the one that baffled me was "Oh, gosh, don't go on NCL! That's for old people."

Where did this stereotype come from? When the line first started was it more like HAL or Cunard? I have never heard of NCL being 'old' and freestyle actually seems to be more young.

I think all the mass market lines cater towards families. We don't have kids, but are 30 somethings.

Any other NCL stereotypes I should prepare for? Any of them true?

My first thoughts after reading your post is that maybe the people who said these things are a little jealous of you taking a cruise, so they try to make it sound undesirable. The green eyed monster isn't pretty. ;-) Enjoy your cruise. Your true friends would be happy for you and this would show in their words and actions.

(or weather).:p

I think he was convinced that because hurricane season ended on Nov 30th, one would form right then and hunt us down on the 8th...

Hurricanes have happened in December, but weather wise, I am much more worried about an early snowstorm blocking our drive, rather than a hurricane bothering our ship!

I think he was convinced that because hurricane season ended on Nov 30th, one would form right then and hunt us down on the 8th...

Hurricanes have happened in December, but weather wise, I am much more worried about an early snowstorm blocking our drive, rather than a hurricane bothering our ship!

LOL....absolutely!!:)

I have sailed during hurricane season numerous times...June (twice), Aug (once) Sept, Oct and Nov OFTEN.

We have hit the tail end of hurricanes and experienced rough seas, but have never missed a port due to hurricane. Of course I have only cruised 19 or 20 times...but to me, that is still very good odds.

Have fun!!! :D

Archived