NCL = Old. Stereotypes about NCL.

Regarding desserts - we had lunch on the Breakaway yesterday (standard lunch menu) and the panacotta was excellent. The blueberry cheesecake was good but on the small side (not a problem if you are on board for several days though!) The food has improved over the time we have been with NCL. My strip steak for lunch was superb!

So funny. My 1st cruise I was was 21 and went on NCL Starward (old ship). My friend and I sat in the waiting room thinking, "oh how are we going to sail with old people?":eek:

Well, fast forward to the end - I had the time of my life :D and thoroughly enjoyed the middle aged people at our table (had traditional dining then).

I would not worry. Age appropriate people find each other or everyone just enjoys whomever they meet. At least we did.;)

Too bad their first experience with NCL was a bad one. They're missing out.

I agree! I took my MIL on our most recent Epic sailing and she absolutely loved it. I'll be interested to hear how she likes the Summit, although hard to compare since we were in the Haven and she won't be in a suite on Summit.

She's also coming on Breakaway with us in 2014 so hopefully she can spread the word about how good NCL really is. Hard to change people's minds. Oh well!

We had heard and read here on CC that NCL was the Motel 6 of cruise lines - and nothing could be further from the truth! And if truth be told, every line has an element/audience segment that could be called Motel 6.

They were, at least a bit- they had done 2 on Carnival and were about to go on Royal Carribean. They had been avoiding NCL because it was for old people.

Absolutely bizarre.

I am absolutely laughing out loud over this. The first visions I got in my head were of the Epic Plunge, the Water Park on Breakaway, Quest and the Freestyle Sun Decks. The more I thought about the line being for old people, the harder I laughed.

I really, really, REALLY needed a good laugh today, so thanks for providing it!

:D

I can hardly wait to hear your thoughts when you return from your 12/8 sailing, and would love to be a fly on the wall the next time you see those friends after you sail. ;)

My husband and I are mid 30s and have been on mostly NCL and Carnival. I can tell you I'd rather go on NCL any day. The "fun ships" were hell on water both times we went. (The most recent being that we were on a Latino cruise, meaning everything, announcements, karaoke, shows, music were all in Spanish and we were not warned when we booked. And I booked with a live person.)

I've seen a pretty diverse range of ages on NCL, and it really depends when you go. They have something to do for all ages though, and you won't be bored even if it is mostly "old folks" on your cruise.

I agree! I took my MIL on our most recent Epic sailing and she absolutely loved it. I'll be interested to hear how she likes the Summit, although hard to compare since we were in the Haven and she won't be in a suite on Summit.

She's also coming on Breakaway with us in 2014 so hopefully she can spread the word about how good NCL really is. Hard to change people's minds. Oh well!

I'm the youngest of 11, and my eldest sister is a loyal HAL cruiser. Every time she comes home from a cruise she emails everybody in the family with photos of the ports, etc. She's always crying poor, and lamenting how she has to scrimp and save to enjoy these wonderful cruises, and blah, blah, blah (meanwhile she's got more money than she'll ever be able to spend). She's of the opinion that she's "above" those of us who sail NCL because we just couldn't possibly understand how pampered she feels on HAL, and how the crew all treat her like she's a queen. She books inside or oceanview staterooms.

Evil baby sister that I am, I emailed her after our Jewel sailing in the OS, and attached lots of photos of the suite, our Butler and Concierge, the Haven, a few of the invitations we received, and the Freestyle Dailies. I told her if she really wanted to be treated like a queen she needed to step up her game a little bit, and elevate herself to an NCL suite.

She sent me an email back telling me that the suite was lovely, that the perks sounded amazing, and that she was very happy that we enjoyed our cruises, but that at 68 she was far too old to be sailing a "party ship line" like NCL.

I fell off the couch.

I'm the youngest of 11, and my eldest sister is a loyal HAL cruiser. Every time she comes home from a cruise she emails everybody in the family with photos of the ports, etc. She's always crying poor, and lamenting how she has to scrimp and save to enjoy these wonderful cruises, and blah, blah, blah (meanwhile she's got more money than she'll ever be able to spend). She's of the opinion that she's "above" those of us who sail NCL because we just couldn't possibly understand how pampered she feels on HAL, and how the crew all treat her like she's a queen. She books inside or oceanview staterooms.

Evil baby sister that I am, I emailed her after our Jewel sailing in the OS, and attached lots of photos of the suite, our Butler and Concierge, the Haven, a few of the invitations we received, and the Freestyle Dailies. I told her if she really wanted to be treated like a queen she needed to step up her game a little bit, and elevate herself to an NCL suite.

She sent me an email back telling me that the suite was lovely, that the perks sounded amazing, and that she was very happy that we enjoyed our cruises, but that at 68 she was far too old to be sailing a "party ship line" like NCL.

I fell off the couch.

Haha...So. combining opinions from the OP's acquaintance with your sister's opinion, the new stereotype might be party ship line for the elderly:rolleyes:?

Does that explain the the long rope course with plank walk on breakaway?

My only cruise so far was a P&O cruise to Norway last summer (last minute) and since I have always said cruising was NOT for me, I thought..OK, it's a week, I can put up with it.

Well, reality: I met so many lovely people ranging in age from 7 to 89 they were all lovely to talk to, and a lot of fun.

Go on any cruise with an open mind and you will love it!

My only cruise so far was a P&O cruise to Norway last summer (last minute) and since I have always said cruising was NOT for me, I thought..OK, it's a week, I can put up with it.

Well, reality: I met so many lovely people ranging in age from 7 to 89 they were all lovely to talk to, and a lot of fun.

Go on any cruise with an open mind and you will love it!

Hello - my name is Steve and I am a cruiseaholic. The 12 steps are those up the gangway to your next fix!

(This phrase probably applies to 99% of CC members.)

OK, I have a confession: I too thought that NCL was for "old people." I don't know why I thought that. I don't remember when I started thinking that. I just did. I knew nothing about NCL because I had never researched it. Because I thought it was for "old people." When I got serious about wanting to take my kids on a cruise and came back to CC to research, I was looking solely at RCCL. That is what I know. I was originally looking at going out of New York and in a thread I read, someone mentioned NCL. I decided to check out their website just to see. I was really surprised at everything that I found there and here on the NCL boards. We are now booked on NCL out of New Orleans (not until Jan 2015, unfortunately) and I can't wait to try it!!!

The hurricane season officially ends on November 30th, no worry in December.

So....when does Winter end? (see the Minneapolis weather today!)

You forgot Rolls Royce, G4 jet, Rolex, & 40 yr old wife(I'm 72)

Meh. Get a G6, then we'll talk. ;)

Stephen

I have heard all kinds of rumors - from people who have cruised and who have not. The accuracy of most of those rumors is about 40%! It depends on the person you hear it from, and many times they have not done any research, but are just spouting their own opinion, and many times it is an uneducated opinion! We have cruised several cruiselines, and they are more similar than not. Younger crowds tend to cruise during spring/summer breaks from school/college - but that happens on every line :) Enjoy your cruise!!

I fell off the couch.

It's always the oldest that act like the youngest one doesn't know anything :rolleyes: LOL

That's okay, more availability for us :)

Depending on the time of year , you might see more older and/or retired people. During school vacation times you will see a much younger crowd. We are on our fourth NCL cruise in three weeks. At the end of May, we will probably see many college age passengers. Enjoy the cruise.

They obviously don't know what they are talking about. Never have I heard that NCL is for old people. Holland America, yes.

Hurricane season ends officially Nov. 30. You will not be sailing during hurricane season in December.

I work with several people who had been cruisers long before I took my first cruise on NCL. Most these folks frequented Carnival and RCCL. When my DH and I book our first cruise on NCL and I told them, honestly they all looked at me like I had 3 eyes on my head! When I asked why that reaction they all told me that NCL was the 'Wal-Mart' of cruising.

I prefer that they keep thinking that, as it leaves me more cabin choices!

My husband and I have cruised both carnival and regent, which we think cover the spectrum. You wanna see elderly? Check the 'luxury' lines.

We booked a haven suite for our first family cruise because we felt ncl gave us the opportunity to have the best options for our family: a two-bedroom suite, pool in the haven right outside our door, freestyle dining (including in-suite when my kids are not fit for public viewing) and a good value, meaning not cheap but truly a good value. We'll see but we are definitely very optimistic!

There were a few other comments, but the one that baffled me was "Oh, gosh, don't go on NCL! That's for old people."

I had a co-worker tell me the same thing. I didn't bother to ask them where they got that piece of information.

I was at a party this weekend telling some friends we booked a cruise. I had the strangest responses ever. One told me that I shouldn't go because December is the tail end of hurricane season (we are Dec 8) and it is too much of a risk- bizarre, because the chance of a December hurricane is extremely small historically, and they just generally go to other ports- ships sail all hurricane season.

There were a few other comments, but the one that baffled me was "Oh, gosh, don't go on NCL! That's for old people."

Where did this stereotype come from? When the line first started was it more like HAL or Cunard? I have never heard of NCL being 'old' and freestyle actually seems to be more young.

I think all the mass market lines cater towards families. We don't have kids, but are 30 somethings.

Any other NCL stereotypes I should prepare for? Any of them true?

Ummm...these people don't sound very knowldegable about cruising (or weather).:p

You need information? Scan Cruise Critic.

:)

We have sailed the Caribbean 9 times in December and have never had a problem with stormy weather; in fact, it has always been beautiful out and smooth sailing. The only rough day we had was actually the last sea day in the Atlantic on the return leg to NYC!

Archived