What to wear when under MDR dress standards?

fiedav

I've just read though the whole thead. Lots of Fun! Thanks everyone.:D

Looks like there are two factions here. The "obey the rules" types and the '"let it be" types. Let's call them the Borg faction and the Seven of Nine faction.

Borg; "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

Seven of Nine; "I will not comply."

;)

Your insistence of T-shirt, instead of Polo(collared T-shirt) really suggests that you have an agenda that isn't really driven by your special needs.

Also the 3rd reference to some casually-dressed person, buying some company with which you are affiliated suggests a sense of pride in challenging dress codes.

I have no pride in challenging dress codes. If I did, I'd just turn up and demand to be seated.

And I don't know quite what you meant by "some casually-dressed person, buying some company with which you are affiliated." There were ten of us. Two people (including me) wore jeans. The maitre'd said "no jeans." The person who had the American Express Corporate card (and who was wearing pants) produced the card, and the maitre'd decided to accommodate us.

Trust me OP, you are talking to a demographic that if chock-full of aging hippies - yet I throw on my skirt, blouse and pumps and act in a way that doesn't embarrass the heck out of my 21-year-old daughter.
Hippies - been there, done that. But that was many years ago.

And it seems to be very easy to "embarrass the heck" out of female children. Still, at least you can "throw on" other clothes. I remember when I could do that without having to get an aide to do it for me. Incidentally, all my aides agree that dressing me in quasi-formal clothes is a waste of time. I get up in the morning, they dress me, and I wear the same clothes all day. Then, when I go to bed, they undress me.

For me to wear different clothes involves me coming back to the cabin, sliding from my wheelchair to the bed, lying on the bed, getting undressed, getting dressed again, sliding back into the wheelchair, and then thanking the aide. I have no ability to stand or walk, and it's exhausting to do this with no power in your legs - just a slideboard.

But don't worry, because when I've visited the MDR, I have to come back and have the aide undress me again. So that's three visits from the aide, as opposed to two at home.

The transfer is so tiring that I have fallen asleep before the evening aide has left. But it's alright, I'll just sit in the MDR with my face in the soup, asleep.

And this is "playing the handicapped card." Dreadful.

Sorry but revolting involves breaking the rules, but I guess that's your point. If you don't like the rules that exist, you revolt and change the rules....

I think that a few laws were broken depending on your point of view....;)

There is another way of changing rules, and that means working within the system.

So no revolt . . . I'm too tired.:mad:

Since so many suggestions have been provided and rejected by the OP, I think his true purpose in starting this thread was not to get information on dress code requirements but to bash the dress code while hiding behind his disability.

Look, it's nice of you to do psychiatry by formum post but if I wanted to complain about the dress code I would have done so at the outset. Clearly a dress code is not a problem if it's not observed, so that my initial request was to know how likely it was to be refused or not.

Then, I think it's reasonable to remark on the pointlessness of a dress code.

The OP has also touted his history of deliberately wearing clothes other than those requested by the host, such as wearing jeans to restaurants with a jacket/tie dress code. I think he is proud of flaunting convention and wants us to support him. If he shows up to dinner in shorts and a tee shirt, I hope Celebrity won't seat him, but I have the feeling that, despite what he has posted, he will use his disability as an excuse.
You read too much into what I say. Not only was I not aware of Antoines' jacket/tie dress code, I didn't even know that's where we going. There are plenty of good eating places in NO without a jacket/tie code, and my first response was that the group should go elsewhere. And this was almost 15 years ago, and I've never come across problems with a dress code since then.

"hiding behind his disability."

"I hope Celebrity won't seat him."

and the other poster's "playing the handicapped card."

It's nice to be appreciated. I hope none of you become wheelchair bound. I think it would come as a shock.

During the cruises we have been on so far (about 20 in all on Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland-America), we have seen many different types of dress in all the dining venues - most do not want people to wear swimsuits or gym wear to the MDR or specialty restaurants. But usually if dress type shorts are worn with shirts that are clean, it's not a problem.

However you could wear almost anything to the buffet restaurant, where they serve the same food as the MDR, which allows those who want to eat in a more refined atmosphere to not be surrounded by those wanting to wear the same clothing at all times while aboard.

Also, we have noticed and met many with disabilities who enjoy cruising with wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, etc. The one guy I was most impressed with was a very old man who could hardly move and his handler who looked as if he could just pick up his patient at any time and carry him under his arm (this guy could probably go anywhere with no problem). So, if I am ever supposed to go to a nursing home, my plan is to hire a caretaker like this to guy (handler, bodyguard, companion) and live most of my days on cruise ships to travel all over the World. Of course when not feeling up to it, we would stay in our suite and order in-room dining, whether at the dining table or patio/veranda, just like my nurse and I do now.

Another time, while awaiting a parade onboard a ship with center promenade deck, a young lady about 6' tall with long, blonde hair approached the area where we were standing and told people that her grandmother needed to be up front in her wheelchair and proceeded to make the room need to give her a good view. She was great and sure earned her cruise with her grandmother. They both dressed elegantly, but think she could get her into whatever venue she wanted in whatever she decided to wear or not wear.

If you have not done so yet, just go to a good habadashery and let them know you will be going on a cruise and would like to acquire appropriate cruisewear.

Enjoy your life aboard and Life in General

During the cruises we have been on so far (about 20 in all on Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland-America), we have seen many different types of dress in all the dining venues - most do not want people to wear swimsuits or gym wear to the MDR or specialty restaurants. But usually if dress type shorts are worn with shirts that are clean, it's not a problem.

However you could wear almost anything to the buffet restaurant, where they serve the same food as the MDR, which allows those who want to eat in a more refined atmosphere to not be surrounded by those wanting to wear the same clothing at all times while aboard.

Also, we have noticed and met many with disabilities who enjoy cruising with wheelchairs, crutches, walkers, etc. The one guy I was most impressed with was a very old man who could hardly move and his handler who looked as if he could just pick up his patient at any time and carry him under his arm (this guy could probably go anywhere with no problem). So, if I am ever supposed to go to a nursing home, my plan is to hire a caretaker like this to guy (handler, bodyguard, companion) and live most of my days on cruise ships to travel all over the World. Of course when not feeling up to it, we would stay in our suite and order in-room dining, whether at the dining table or patio/veranda, just like my nurse and I do now.

Another time, while awaiting a parade onboard a ship with center promenade deck, a young lady about 6' tall with long, blonde hair approached the area where we were standing and told people that her grandmother needed to be up front in her wheelchair and proceeded to make the room need to give her a good view. She was great and sure earned her cruise with her grandmother. They both dressed elegantly, but think she could get her into whatever venue she wanted in whatever she decided to wear or not wear.

If you have not done so yet, just go to a good habadashery and let them know you will be going on a cruise and would like to acquire appropriate cruisewear.

Enjoy your life aboard and Life in General

Celebrity does not serve the same food in the buffet as in the Main Dining Room, never has since their inception.

I'd be shocked to learn that in its history, x ever ejected a passenger for failing to wear formal clothes.

Not the dress code, but 2 ladies were sent to the Brig and locked up for fighting over seating in the theatre on X's sister co., RCCL. Our cruise director told us that she would not confirm or deny, but that the staff does follow rules and regulations for the good of all during our TransAtlantic cruise on Mariner of the Seas. We have seen passengers put off at ports.

So, try it out - feel free to go against the documents you signed and agreed to compliance of the ships regulations to not have problems aboard. Let us know what happens after continuing to not comply with the what the staff and security aboard request you to do. The Brig? Set off at port? (sometimes the captain even decides to go to an unscheduled port to let off those he doesn't want aboard or have a boat from shore come to take away those refusing to follow his orders). We even went back, so coast guard could meet the ship part way back to states and pick up pax, but think that was medical problem. The captain could say non compliance was a medical problem and set you off for not being mentally stable too. It's one of those things about the good for all when in a large group.

So, chill and get some proper threads dude!

If you do decide to cause disruption on upcoming cruise, let us know so we can select a different ship - Messing up your own vacation is one thing, but goofing up others is a crime, or should be. No, I didn't say someone was going overboard, but then again, I'm not the one who runs the show.

Celebrity does not serve the same food in the buffet as in the Main Dining Room, never has since their inception.

Okay, but the point is that even a slob could get fed on the ship and not starve, even if they were not allowed in the MDR.

I don't believe the same food is served for room service either, but we got some pretty good grub from there a few times. Of course we didn't try to demand anything special, just went with the menu and enjoyed the cruise for 2 weeks aboard Celebrity Eclipse. No, didn't go see Perry every night either, but we didn't complain too much about others taking up the dance floor we should have been able to use. Not worth the hassle!

It's nice to be appreciated. I hope none of you become wheelchair bound. I think it would come as a shock.

While my 3 boys are not wheelchair bound (yet) one needs a scooter for distances and the other has a wheelchair for distances. 2 of my 3 boys have very little fine motor skills - i,e. cannot tie a tie, cannot tie shoes cannot button a shirt, etc. They are not small they are 16, 16 & 20. I have to do that for them. Yes they can put on their pants and shirt but they need assistance. At home they have an attendant to help out. On the cruise it will be Roger and me - plus we will have my mom who has mobility issues too (wheelchair off the ship and scooter on the ship). I will be the one helping and it is my 50th b-day. I am not complaining I am happy to have them with me and to help them. Luckily my boys in general (at least the twins) like to dress up and understand the needs to.

as I said they are not wheelchair bound yet - but they have a degenrative neruo genetic disease. In fact one of my twins when he was born and so sick I was told he would never walk talk or see 4 he turned 16 in March and does all 3. I tell them to live each day to the fullest, to take advnatage of any help or assistance they need and not to be afraid and to comply with what they can and ask for accommodations when needed.

I do understand the difficulty you are talking about as Clay spent over a month in the hospital in bed with H1N1 and his body shutting down and him having to relearn all the skills he lost. And I appreciate the difficulty. Again I did not see anyone saying put on a suit and tie but suggest a collared shirt or a specially made button down shirt that has velcro, etc. I have seen them. My best friends son (also my oldest son best friend) is wheelchair bound - although he can stand and walk a little and he is always dressed to the nines.

You seem inteligent and educated - like my boys so I beleive you understand what you were asking and I think you should understand that people are offering you suggestions to try to help you.

most people will most likely not have their meal spoiled by what someone else is wearing - hey my mom gets offended as I rarely wear make up and 98% of my wardrobe is black - I think it is more - but I think it adds to the atmosphere.

Just my 2 cents

Sharon

Okay, but the point is that even a slob could get fed on the ship and not starve, even if they were not allowed in the MDR.

I don't believe the same food is served for room service either, but we got some pretty good grub from there a few times. Of course we didn't try to demand anything special, just went with the menu and enjoyed the cruise for 2 weeks aboard Celebrity Eclipse. No, didn't go see Perry every night either, but we didn't complain too much about others taking up the dance floor we should have been able to use. Not worth the hassle!

Mdr food is available from room service during mdr operating hours. Just ask your steward for a menu.

I am aware of what is involved with caring for someone who is wheelchair dependent. My mom had been confined to a wheelchair for over 25 years, since she was 40. She can move her arms but is unable to move from the waist down. She is unable to stand or walk, yet she is able to dress appropriately for dinner in the dining room on a cruise. As I have stated before, she wears elastic-waist pants and an appropriate blouse for dinner and looks very nice. Personally I find no difference in the effort required to dress her in pants vs. shorts. I'm also uncertain what additional effort is required for a polo shirt vs. a tee shirt since both get pulled over the head. A polo shirt has a V-neck with buttons, but nothing requires those buttons to be closed. My husband (who is not disabled) wears polo shirts often and rarely closes any of the buttons. I see nothing unacceptable about that.

The ship is Celebrity's establishment and, as such, they get to set their own rules regarding what is appropriate attire. Even McDonald's has rules regarding appropriate attire - No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service. I am more comfortable without shoes and never wear them at home. However, I know when I go out to dinner, even if it is only for a burger, that I must have footwear if I want to be provided with service. I have seen people thrown out of fast-food restaurants for failure to comply with the shoes/shirt requirement. Those people can still use the drive-thru.

A person who disagrees with Celebrity's dress code does not have to sail with Celebrity. Celebrity has the buffet or room service available for those who prefer more casual dining. There are no dress requirements for ordering room service, but the buffet has a dress code. I have seen the staff ask passengers to leave who were wearing bathing suits, had bare feet, and were wearing robes.

The only thing Celebrity must do is make reasonable accomodations for people with disabilities. Therefore, if the OP cannot wear pants or clothing with buttons due to his disability, then Celebrity must make an exception for him in the dining room. Since an issue with appropriate garments is unfamiliar to many of us who deal with special needs people on a regular basis, the OP's situation seems to be unique. Perhaps the OP should have his doctor provide a letter to Celebrity explaining his inability to wear clothing the meets the dress code for dinner so it isn't an issue onboard.

My husband was asked to change into pants prior to dining at Muranos during lunch. My husband had no issues with changing his clothes. Perhaps we are simply sheep who follow the rules, but we were both raised that unless there is some moral or ethical reason not to, we should respect the rules of the house or be willing to face the consequences. As I also stated in a previous post, a man wearing shorts and a tee shirt was allowed to eat at Qsine. He loudly protested the dress code and was allowed to dine. Obviously Celebrity will make exceptions.

Since the dress code is such an issue, I am wondering if the OP has considered some of the other challenges of taking a cruise, such as getting around the ship and ports and flying (if needed) to the embarkation port.

Also, I'm 69 and think that Carnival-style cruising is the last thing I'd want. In fact, the main draw of Celebrity is the up-market attention and the good food. Absolutely the opposite of a "Fun Cruise."

The only idea I have is a very lightweight blanket over my legs from the waist down and a polo shirt.

I think this would be very acceptable. Go for it and enjoy your cruise! :D

. . . . Clearly a dress code is not a problem if it's not observed, so that my initial request was to know how likely it was to be refused or not.

Then, I think it's reasonable to remark on the pointlessness of a dress code.

I believe that this question has been answered several times. There are first and second-hand reports of ship's staff asking pax to change prior to being seated. There are also first and second-hand reports of pax being seated in dress that is contrary to either the letter or spirit of the dress code. It also appears that sometimes folks who are challenged will make some sort of scene or otherwise disagree, and will be seated despite their attire.

Celebrity does have a published dress code. They do attempt to enforce it but are not complete zealots -- If you choose not to comply with the dress code, be prepared to be turned away (or perhaps not) -- but if you are, you will be able to order from the MDR menue from room service (or eat in the buffet).

Borg; "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

At least The Borg are honest.

Anyway, for those who are living in fear of seeing my shorts and t-shirts in a Celebrity MDR, it won't happen. My wife doesn't want to fly, so it's the Norwegian Dawn out of Boston to Bermuda.

But don't worry, I'll be back sometime in the next few years after Celebrity drops its dress codes for the MDR - as it most certainly will. ;)

Archived