Passport application in "suspense"

I'm not sure why my parents names were not on the certificate. My cousin, (who traveled with us last year and also used her b.c.) also had the same type. She was born in 1971 so I don't know if it was the "thing" back then. They were issued by vital records and had a raised seal. Also, I did use my b.c. when I applied for a passport in the 90s.

I called the library where I applied for the passport and was told that it was definitely an "oversight" by the person taking my application. My DS & DH were both born in NC and he said that maybe the rep assumed I was also even though my b.c. looked differently and we applied at different times:confused::confused:. Anyway, I just wanted to let them know just in case someone else applies using the wrong form.

Yeah, the NJ birth certificate I had is a "Certificate of Birth Registration" issued by vital statistics. It has a raised seal. By the date issued, I'm guessing my mom requested it so she could register me for school. I used it successfully to fly to Canada in 2004. My understanding is that the rules changed in 2010 or 2011, and having both parents' names became a must. I believe this is also a requirement if you are going to use your birth certificate to board a cruise ship.

My mom went through this last month. BC had been used to board cruise ships fine, but not for a passport now. Ironically, the short form she had that was no good is exactly what I used for my firs passport in 2000.

What irked her was that they didn't send the first one back. So she ordered the correct one and sent it in. She got her passport in time, but if not, she would've had to order another one to get on the ship. I don't know if they ever did send it back, come to think of it.

Meredith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so afraid that they won't send my original back...

Yeah, the NJ birth certificate I had is a "Certificate of Birth Registration" issued by vital statistics. It has a raised seal. By the date issued, I'm guessing my mom requested it so she could register me for school. I used it successfully to fly to Canada in 2004. My understanding is that the rules changed in 2010 or 2011, and having both parents' names became a must. I believe this is also a requirement if you are going to use your birth certificate to board a cruise ship.

That's probably why my mom requested mine also (for school)...I didn't even think of this. I just know that I have had it "forever". So you think that they have indeed changed the rules for boarding the ship? I did use mine last year and I had planned to use it again this year but then we decided that it would just be easier (and better) to have a passport.

I'm a family of four. We all have a passport, that was done prior to the new rules. Looking at ours, 3 out of the 4 BC's are not acceptable. I have not names, my wife is too small, and my son's has only the "mother's" name which was standard int he state he was born.

It's like the majority of people today have no proper ID anymore. However, the good news is in some states you can walk into a county office, and get one immediately without waiting.

Feel sorry for everyone.

What city in NJ. Because in Newark NJ they will allow someone with a notarized letter and a copy of your I'd go into the office and get a copy of your birth certificate the same day. And then you can have them mail it to you. Which will be quicker and easier. I almost had to get a new birth certificate because I had problems getting my passport and wasn't sure if I would get it or my birth certificate back in time and was going to use this option since my whole family still lives there.

Just make a photocopy of the long-form birth certificate when you receive it. Per Carnival's documentation, in addition to a photo ID, for a closed-loop cruise (departing from and returning to the same US port), all you need is the following as it relates to a birth certificate:

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

An original Birth Certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics)

A clear, legible, quality Xerox copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics). The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

In Regards to Birth Certificates: Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: http://www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Absolutely a great idea to get the passport, but in terms of a backup plan if the passport doesn't arrive, making a copy of the birth certificate is fine. No need to have it notarized, no need to do anything else -- just a simple copy will serve you well.

What city in NJ. Because in Newark NJ they will allow someone with a notarized letter and a copy of your I'd go into the office and get a copy of your birth certificate the same day. And then you can have them mail it to you. Which will be quicker and easier. I almost had to get a new birth certificate because I had problems getting my passport and wasn't sure if I would get it or my birth certificate back in time and was going to use this option since my whole family still lives there.

I was born in East Orange NJ. I had no idea that someone could've picked one up for me (d'ohhh). I, too, have family that lives there and I could've had one of my nieces pick it up. I have already applied online but I wish I had known this.

Just make a photocopy of the long-form birth certificate when you receive it. Per Carnival's documentation, in addition to a photo ID, for a closed-loop cruise (departing from and returning to the same US port), all you need is the following as it relates to a birth certificate:

Absolutely a great idea to get the passport, but in terms of a backup plan if the passport doesn't arrive, making a copy of the birth certificate is fine. No need to have it notarized, no need to do anything else -- just a simple copy will serve you well.

Maybe I'm reading something wrong here but you can use a COPY of your birth certificate? I always thought a raised seal b.c. was required.

I was born in East Orange NJ. I had no idea that someone could've picked one up for me (d'ohhh). I, too, have family that lives there and I could've had one of my nieces pick it up. I have already applied online but I wish I had known this.

Apparently nobody I know knew this until I looked it up. But just incase you don't get things in time you have a back up plan now.

Maybe I'm reading something wrong here but you can use a COPY of your birth certificate? I always thought a raised seal b.c. was required.

Don't like bumping a thread that died a few days ago, but wanted to respond to this point.

Based on the information directly from Carnival's travel documentation requirements, you do not need a "raised seal" birth certificate.

It even specifically says "The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified."

That said, the specific documentation depends on the itinerary of the cruise that you're on, and of course in the event of a diversion (e.g. you have to leave the ship in a foreign port, or the ship has to divert to a different US port than it left from), you may be significantly delayed if you don't have a passport. But at the very least, for a closed-loop cruise (leaving from and returning to the same US port), with no visits to foreign ports that require passports or visas, US citizens should only need a non-expired government-issued ID and a birth certificate (original, copy, etc).

Don't like bumping a thread that died a few days ago, but wanted to respond to this point.

Based on the information directly from Carnival's travel documentation requirements, you do not need a "raised seal" birth certificate.

It even specifically says "The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified."

That said, the specific documentation depends on the itinerary of the cruise that you're on, and of course in the event of a diversion (e.g. you have to leave the ship in a foreign port, or the ship has to divert to a different US port than it left from), you may be significantly delayed if you don't have a passport. But at the very least, for a closed-loop cruise (leaving from and returning to the same US port), with no visits to foreign ports that require passports or visas, US citizens should only need a non-expired government-issued ID and a birth certificate (original, copy, etc).

Wow...I honestly had no idea about this. Thanks for the info. By the way, DH's passport came in today...sigh

You should be fine. My partner and I adopted our son, and the guy at the post office who took our application was unsure about the way I filled out the paperwork for his passport. Even with the complications of an adoption and being same sex parents, we paid for expedited service and had the passport in 2 weeks.

You should be fine. My partner and I adopted our son, and the guy at the post office who took our application was unsure about the way I filled out the paperwork for his passport. Even with the complications of an adoption and being same sex parents, we paid for expedited service and had the passport in 2 weeks.

Awesome! I'm waiting for the birth certificate to come back but we're about 90something days away 'til our cruise, so I also think that we should be alright....hopefully:D

• 5 years later...