Passport application in "suspense"

We decided to go ahead and get passports for our upcoming cruise (and eventually for a trip abroad). I went and applied for DS (11 y.o.) passport when he was out of school the 1st week of April. I applied for mine the following week and then DH applied for his. DS's came in last week. Well, today I got a nice letter from the Department of State that my application couldn't be completed because my birth certificate didn't have my parents' name on it. I have a short form(?) which I used last year on our Liberty cruise. Anyway, I had to apply online to get another one from the vital records in the state where I was born (NJ). According the site, it should take about 18 - 22 business days to get the certificate back so I'm going to go ahead and give them until June 1st. I will then have to send it to the Passport processing agency in Charleston, SC. Now that I have that all out the way, here is my question: Has anyone ever experienced having to get another birth certificate sent to complete a passport application process, and if so, how long did it take to get your passport? The reps at the agency told me that I wouldn't have to go through the application process again so I'm hoping that knocks at least a week or two from the time I'm expected to get it.

However, in the worse case scenario and I don't get my passport before sailing, does anyone know if the birth certificate rule has changed for boarding the ship? In other words, would the short form be acceptable or are they requesting the long form?

I guess that this is a learning experience for me! I should have read the rules before applying for the passport and then I would've known that I needed a long form instead of short form birth certificate. The last time that I applied for a passport (mid 90s) I used a short form. A friend told me that the person taking my application should have known this also but I still should've read the rules first.

Anyway sorry for the long story but I'm just hoping and praying that everything works out.

From your ticker I'd say you have plenty of time. You'll probably get the BC in a couple of weeks (they usually tell you it will take longer just in case). As for the passport, mine was held up because the worker at the post office made a bad copy of my DL and I got a letter saying I had to make a better copy and send it in. The entire time it took from submitting my PP application, the time it took to send a new copy of my DL, to the time I got the PP in the mail was about five weeks total.

From your ticker I'd say you have plenty of time. You'll probably get the BC in a couple of weeks (they usually tell you it will take longer just in case). As for the passport, mine was held up because the worker at the post office made a bad copy of my DL and I got a letter saying I had to make a better copy and send it in. The entire time it took from submitting my PP application, the time it took to send a new copy of my DL, to the time I got the PP in the mail was about five weeks total.

Great! Thanks for response! The rep at the passport agency said that I should get it in time but I just wanted to be prepared with the birth cert "just in case"....

Thanks again :)

I applied for grandaughters passports March 1, Mid April I got letters stating I needed certified custody papers. It took a week to get down to court house and get them. I just got email today that passports were mailed out. I hope this helps. The expected arrival date is May 6,. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

I had to get a new BC for my husband's Passport application for our first cruise. It was very last minute, about 5 weeks before the cruise. I paid a fee to have them expedite the certificate and had it in a few days.

I just ordered new birth certificates for my husband and I a couple of months ago. I sent the request in by mail because I didn’t want to pay the “online” fee.

I got mine back in 8 days from Chicago Illinois. Got his back in 11 days from Arkansas. We live in south Florida.

When I ordered the birth certificates it only cost a couple dollars more to get a second copy. Now I still have a birth certificate to use in case I book a last minute cruise before I get my passport in.

Yes, I did it about 6 years ago.

I went to the state and paid to have it processed immediately. It cost me a little more money, I believe it was $30 and it was overnighted to me from records.

I then sent it over night to the processing center for my passport.

Hopefully your state has that option. It cost me about $60 or $70 more to complete but I had it within 3 weeks before traveling.

Good luck and I hope it all wort out for you.

I recently had to get a new birth certificate from the state of New Jersey. I realized before making my appointment that I had the short form without my parents' names. If it applies to you, make sure you also provide a marriage certificate with your photo ID when you submit electronically. NJ contacted me about 10 business days after I submitted that my request couldn't be processed without it. (It didn't say I needed to provide it.). With that, I would say that the processing time was a about 6 weeks. And that was with weekly calls to the vital statistics office. AND I convinced a manager to give me her email address so I could send her a prepaid overnight UPS label. It was a real pain--I'm sure everything will be fine in time for your cruise, but dealing with NJ was not fun.

Edited by cbsmama

One of my traveling companions for our August cruise just had to do this. She applied in March, about a week later got the news about the birth certificate which took about 10 days to receive and then another 10 days to actually get the passport in. so total time from beginning to end was about 35 days.

We decided to go ahead and get passports for our upcoming cruise (and eventually for a trip abroad). I went and applied for DS (11 y.o.) passport when he was out of school the 1st week of April. I applied for mine the following week and then DH applied for his. DS's came in last week. Well, today I got a nice letter from the Department of State that my application couldn't be completed because my birth certificate didn't have my parents' name on it. I have a short form(?) which I used last year on our Liberty cruise. Anyway, I had to apply online to get another one from the vital records in the state where I was born (NJ). According the site, it should take about 18 - 22 business days to get the certificate back so I'm going to go ahead and give them until June 1st. I will then have to send it to the Passport processing agency in Charleston, SC. Now that I have that all out the way, here is my question: Has anyone ever experienced having to get another birth certificate sent to complete a passport application process, and if so, how long did it take to get your passport? The reps at the agency told me that I wouldn't have to go through the application process again so I'm hoping that knocks at least a week or two from the time I'm expected to get it.

However, in the worse case scenario and I don't get my passport before sailing, does anyone know if the birth certificate rule has changed for boarding the ship? In other words, would the short form be acceptable or are they requesting the long form?

I guess that this is a learning experience for me! I should have read the rules before applying for the passport and then I would've known that I needed a long form instead of short form birth certificate. The last time that I applied for a passport (mid 90s) I used a short form. A friend told me that the person taking my application should have known this also but I still should've read the rules first.

Anyway sorry for the long story but I'm just hoping and praying that everything works out.

I think it's messed up that people need to get updated BC on their own dime because the government decided to change what was appropriate for a BC. I live in Texas and didn't have that problem, as Texas has always used the long form.

My mother didn't have her original BC so I had to apply to get her certified copy and it took a week for me to get it, but I guess each state is different.

And I agree with your friend; the person who took your application should have known that your BC was no longer acceptable to get a passport. Your current BC SHOULD be fine for your cruise in the event your passport doesn't arrive in time.

The birth certificate requirements are the biggest reason DH and I recently renewed our passports, even though we have no travel planned in the near future. With all the changes, I have no idea whether the ones we have would pass muster nowadays.

I recently had to get a new birth certificate from the state of New Jersey. I realized before making my appointment that I had the short form without my parents' names. If it applies to you, make sure you also provide a marriage certificate with your photo ID when you submit electronically. NJ contacted me about 10 business days after I submitted that my request couldn't be processed without it. (It didn't say I needed to provide it.). With that, I would say that the processing time was a about 6 weeks. And that was with weekly calls to the vital statistics office. AND I convinced a manager to give me her email address so I could send her a prepaid overnight UPS label. It was a real pain--I'm sure everything will be fine in time for your cruise, but dealing with NJ was not fun.

I had to send to NJ for mine. I did submit a copy of my marriage cert, driver's license as well as a letter indicating that they could send the birth cert to my PO box. My husband asked me if I wanted to drive up to NJ to get it :eek: but I don't think that a 6 hour one way trip was worth it :D

What is a short form birth certificate?

I'm not sure if it's the same for every state but my birth certificate only had my name, date of birth and hospital on it. My parents names were not on the certificate. So I think that's what is considered to be a "short form". The long form would have all info (including parents names) on it.

Just had a quick "scary" thought: My birth cert was issued in 1966(coughcough) and is the only one that my mom had. I'm wondering if, since she only had the short form, there would be a problem obtaining a long form? Hopefully not!

Also, I think that I'll call the library (where I filled out my passport application) and let them know that a long form is necessary so that no one else will have this problem. (ETA: I just checked their website and it doesn't indicate that a long form is needed)

Edited by mephistoles

I'm not sure if it's the same for every state but my birth certificate only had my name, date of birth and hospital on it. My parents names were not on the certificate. So I think that's what is considered to be a "short form". The long form would have all info (including parents names) on it.

They leave off the parents' name for a reason? Thought that was the reason of a birth certificate beside to certify where (kinda) you were born...state, country, barn.....since being alive shows you were indeed born...

These short forms are usually the hospital issued ceremonial form. Everyone should have a certified state registration form for these records purposes. Check with you state vital statistics office

My husbands issued in 1941 was official but not enough for a passport and we had to request the long form.

Good to have a passport when all is said and done.

They leave off the parents' name for a reason? Thought that was the reason of a birth certificate beside to certify where (kinda) you were born...state, country, barn.....since being alive shows you were indeed born...

These short forms are usually the hospital issued ceremonial form. Everyone should have a certified state registration form for these records purposes. Check with you state vital statistics office

My husbands issued in 1941 was official but not enough for a passport and we had to request the long form.

Good to have a passport when all is said and done.

I'm not sure why my parents names were not on the certificate. My cousin, (who traveled with us last year and also used her b.c.) also had the same type. She was born in 1971 so I don't know if it was the "thing" back then. They were issued by vital records and had a raised seal. Also, I did use my b.c. when I applied for a passport in the 90s.

I called the library where I applied for the passport and was told that it was definitely an "oversight" by the person taking my application. My DS & DH were both born in NC and he said that maybe the rep assumed I was also even though my b.c. looked differently and we applied at different times:confused::confused:. Anyway, I just wanted to let them know just in case someone else applies using the wrong form.

I'm not sure why my parents names were not on the certificate. My cousin, (who traveled with us last year and also used her b.c.) also had the same type. She was born in 1971 so I don't know if it was the "thing" back then. They were issued by vital records and had a raised seal. Also, I did use my b.c. when I applied for a passport in the 90s.

I called the library where I applied for the passport and was told that it was definitely an "oversight" by the person taking my application. My DS & DH were both born in NC and he said that maybe the rep assumed I was also even though my b.c. looked differently and we applied at different times:confused::confused:. Anyway, I just wanted to let them know just in case someone else applies using the wrong form.

The type of form issued was dependent on the state you were born in. Certain states issued short forms and certain states issued long forms; now they're all required to issue the long form.

I believe I read that somewhere...or maybe I came to that conclusion because I have friends who were born up north and had to get new BCs.

Do you have your old passport? DH submitted his from when he was a teenager and his driver's license and they gave him back his BC and said he didn't need it because he was sending his old passport.

Unfortunately I don't. It was lost during my move from NJ - NC. I truly believe that it's in my parents' attic somewhere and it's expired. I had advised the rep at the library and she had me fill out a "lost" form :confused:

My mom went through this last month. BC had been used to board cruise ships fine, but not for a passport now. Ironically, the short form she had that was no good is exactly what I used for my firs passport in 2000.

What irked her was that they didn't send the first one back. So she ordered the correct one and sent it in. She got her passport in time, but if not, she would've had to order another one to get on the ship. I don't know if they ever did send it back, come to think of it.

Meredith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk