Ardastra Garden's - Nassau

jennyprovo

You're correct. There aren't droves of people walking on that street. It is a very busy road though, lots of traffic and I don't categorize it as unsafe. I spent some time in the Bahamas and it used to be that you could leave cars and even your doors at home unlocked - this is what their current crime is being compared to...The crime in the media is sensationalized - it's actually all in low income residential areas. I can honestly say the Bahamas has done a great job in tourist zones. A journalist from Puerto Rico told me that the mistake the Bahamas is making is in making it front page news and keeping the US abreast on what's going on. In other countries they sweep crime under the rug. Hopefully the Bahamas can get a handle on things in those neighborhoods. Also consider, the Bahamas has manyyyy other islands that are completely crime free. There is a lot that comes along with millions of people annually trekking through a tiny island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CruiseControl_

You're correct. There aren't droves of people walking on that street. It is a very busy road though, lots of traffic and I don't categorize it as unsafe. I spent some time in the Bahamas and it used to be that you could leave cars and even your doors at home unlocked - this is what their current crime is being compared to...The crime in the media is sensationalized - it's actually all in low income residential areas. I can honestly say the Bahamas has done a great job in tourist zones. A journalist from Puerto Rico told me that the mistake the Bahamas is making is in making it front page news and keeping the US abreast on what's going on. In other countries they sweep crime under the rug. Hopefully the Bahamas can get a handle on things in those neighborhoods. Also consider, the Bahamas has manyyyy other islands that are completely crime free. There is a lot that comes along with millions of people annually trekking through a tiny island.

I do not doubt what you say is correct. But just from our experience, in the ships newsletter, there is a warning from the US Embassy saying that crime IS on the upswing and all tourist be extra careful as to their where a bouts and other things. They stated that the Bahamian Police are working extra hard to curb the latest rash of crime, but try and stay with crowds and avoid being in areas by yourself. Since I don't know Nassau, I don't know which areas are safe and which are not, but when I find myself and my DW walking a street where there are no other people, being a NYer, I tend to get a bit defensive. I just wanted to set the record straight on the walk. It is NOT a walk where you will be with throngs of other people.

For $1.25, the bus will drop you right on the corner where the Fish fry is and the zoo is a short few blocks up from there. A much better option.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

I completely understand Len and the info you provided was correct. I have visited Jamaica and Trinidad where the murder rates and kidnapping are amongst the highest in the world..and even though I've never seen so much as a fist fight, I'm always leery because I'm "a fish out of water." Glad you and your wife were safe and enjoyed your cruise!

Has anyone ever gone to the zoo with a tour company? Otherwise where can you catch the bus or a taxi to get there on your own? Also thinking about going to the Pirate museum. Would a tour or taxi pick you up at the zoo and drop you off at the museum?

You can take the #10 bus and get off at the Fish Fry. It's about a 12-15 minute walk from there.

You can also take a cab - maybe you can negotiate a round trip fare and have him/her collect you in an hour. It's a 7 minute drive from the port via cab.

Has anyone ever gone to the zoo with a tour company? Otherwise where can you catch the bus or a taxi to get there on your own? Also thinking about going to the Pirate museum. Would a tour or taxi pick you up at the zoo and drop you off at the museum?

There are plenty of taxis right at the port. To take the bus, walk past the Straw Market. The bus stop is on the corner of Bay Street and George Street. As CruiseControl said, the bus will drop you off at the Fish Fry. It's a short walk to Ardastra from there and there are signs.

The Pirate Museum is not far from the bus stop so you could walk there after the bus drops you back in town. You don't need a tour to do this. It's very easy to do on your own.

Edited by CruisinCrow

The Zoo itself is really nothing to speak of, but the highlites are the times when they let the public feed the Parrots and when they do a little show called March of the Flamingo's. These things are done 3 times a day, so you have to time your visit to incorporate these two things into your visit there. http://www.ardastra.com/.

If you time it right, the zoo can be done in a couple of hours, or you could spend much more time there.

Cheers

Len

Another silly question, I think I have decided against walking to the zoo, I am pretty sure taking the bus is a better option especially with a 3 year old. Can anyone just tell me what the seating is like on the buses, are they coach like buses with individual seats or more like NYC- like buses. My son is always in a car seat when we travel but if the trip over to the zoo isn't that long I think we'll be OK.

Another silly question, I think I have decided against walking to the zoo, I am pretty sure taking the bus is a better option especially with a 3 year old. Can anyone just tell me what the seating is like on the buses, are they coach like buses with individual seats or more like NYC- like buses. My son is always in a car seat when we travel but if the trip over to the zoo isn't that long I think we'll be OK.

The seats in the jitney are individual.. they also have a jumper seat.. in the center aisle that pulls down to fit more people.

The Jitney does NOT take you all the way to the Zoo. It drops you at the base of the main road.. then you have to walk about 2.5 blocks up a slight incline to the entrance.

If you need door to door service, you'll need a cab.

Kimmy

The bus is a sort of Jitney, more like a very old small school bus. It ain't a Greyhound if you know what I mean. The seats are tight together. You can hold your child on your lap or let him sit on his own. it is about a 10 minute ride. For that period, it is OK. I wouldn't want to do a long haul in that bus, but for a buck and a quarter, who cares, it will get you where you want to go. If you are at all concerned with safety, take a taxi, they are all right there where the ship docks and will pester you enough you might consider it. Bus is cheaper, taxi is door to door.

Just to add, people are very friendly. The bus driver will let you know exactly where to get off and where to get the bus going back. As I said previously, we couldn't find a bus stop for the return trip, saw the bus coming, stuck out my arm and he stopped in the middle of the street to let us on.. Paid when we got off.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Kimmy

The bus is a sort of Jitney, more like a very old small school bus. It ain't a Greyhound if you know what I mean. The seats are tight together. You can hold your child on your lap or let him sit on his own. it is about a 10 minute ride. For that period, it is OK. I wouldn't want to do a long haul in that bus, but for a buck and a quarter, who cares, it will get you where you want to go. If you are at all concerned with safety, take a taxi, they are all right there where the ship docks and will pester you enough you might consider it. Bus is cheaper, taxi is door to door.

Just to add, people are very friendly. The bus driver will let you know exactly where to get off and where to get the bus going back. As I said previously, we couldn't find a bus stop for the return trip, saw the bus coming, stuck out my arm and he stopped in the middle of the street to let us on.. Paid when we got off.

Cheers

Len

Thanks soooo much for all your advice, Len!!! In case you couldn't tell I kindof like to plan things out and TRY to have things in order ahead of time. This way we aren't getting off the ship and not knowing what we're doing, especially with a toddler.

Thanks again.

-Kim

Thanks soooo much for all your advice, Len!!! In case you couldn't tell I kindof like to plan things out and TRY to have things in order ahead of time. This way we aren't getting off the ship and not knowing what we're doing, especially with a toddler.

Thanks again.

-Kim

Me to Kim. My DW says I'm sort of anal that way. I like to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed before we do something. I'm not inflexible, but better to be prepared than to just do things on a whim. I always want to have a plan and take it from there. Others like to just wing it. You know, different strokes for different folks. :D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Cruising with a group and wondering how many people the bus would hold?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Jitney bus holds about 30 ppl. But there will likely be others onboard. They leave every few minutes, so if you all don't fit on one, the next one will be leaving within 5 minutes.