Photos help find lost luggage.

pmb1

Last November 27, in a fit of lost luggage paranoia before leaving home for our longest ever (25 days) QM2 cruise, I photographed each of our suitcases before we left home. Well, some were worryingly late in reaching our cabin, but none were lost.

I photographed them all again on December 21 when I put them outside our cabin with their Pink 3 tags for disembarkation pick up. This time one was lost, well not lost really, but misplaced for what seemed forever in the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. When I asked one of the Cunard guys in the baggage area what to do about my lost bag he said that he would help me search for it. "Where?", I asked. "Everywhere", the young man replied. Well the pictures of our bags that I had taken last night were still on my camera so I scrolled through the recent photos to show him my bag. I apologized for taking so long to find it, but he said it was OK and that my other pictures looked good. Ten minutes later, while I was searching in a far corner amongst bags with brown labels, he found mine in with a bunch of bags with red labels.

So, my advice is to photograph every bag before it leaves your custody. Eases paranoia, may actually help in finding a bag, and (worst case) will illustrate your insurance claim.

We use a small GPS tracking device inside each suitcase (available on Amazon)- When missplaced the signal from the GPS tells you exactly where your case is - Peace of mind? - Some may consider the device of approx $120.00 high - But what is the value the contents, the cost of the actual case and distress?

We use a small GPS tracking device inside each suitcase (available on Amazon)- When missplaced the signal from the GPS tells you exactly where your case is - Peace of mind? - Some may consider the device of approx $120.00 high - But what is the value the contents, the cost of the actual case and distress?

I learn so much on CC. I have seen them used by the FBI, CIA, MI6 etc. on fiction t.v., but didn't know that the public could access them. Does the signal then go to your phone? note to self : Must try to keep up with technology.

icon7.gif

Thank you, Sir. My note on services rendered are already in the mail. :cool:

Cats 2010 ;)

And my invoice for services rendered (more particularly, being agreeable) is also in the post.

And I bet my bill is bigger than your bill.

Sir Martin

And my invoice for services rendered (more particularly, being agreeable) is also in the post.

And I bet my bill is bigger than your bill.

Sir Martin

You have a bigger bill than a toucan on steroids! :D

J

It won't be long before that $120 becomes $50 (five years?) and then $15 (ten years?). And soon luggage will be available with tracking devices built in. I wonder what the unintended consequences will be. GPS and RF bandwidth gridlock? Tech savvy thieves able to target and locate the most expensive luggage with ease? Best to photograph your GPS tracking devices, just in case.

I guess that you don't have a cell phone either; last year, when we had to upgrade our dumb phones, even the dumbest replacements all had cameras.

Your bright yellow straps, etc. are a great idea. If you always use the same cases, have a friend at home make some hard-copy photos for you. Just in case.

You are correct, I am a "old fuddy duddy". I can barely use this machine.

• 6 months later...

lost a small carry-on green grey in color voyager luggage brand Hawaii cruise oct22-nov6 cruise pls contact me or celebrity and let them know if you happen to pick urs up by mistake no 951-6967642 e-mail micgel4ever@yahoo.com .

Thank you and hope to see you again on the ship .

Michael and Angel Jones

lost it at San Diego port today 11/6/13 around9:30am

Edited by mrj7862

I've been in the habit of photographing my luggage for years, ever since a friend had hers "misplaced". When asked to describe it, she couldn't, (other than "It's green" :rolleyes:)but she had a photo. This was before digital, so she had a Polaroid. The clerk found hers in a huge pile almost immediately. I also email the photo to myself as an extra precaution in case I also loose my camera or phone. Somebody, somewhere is bound to have email access.:)

Edited by stowaway2k

I'm guessing the OPs piece was found not so much from the photograph....but because it had pink tags......sitting among all those with red tags.
Not so sure about that. I was scanning for size, shape, color, and strap, not tag, in my searching. The tags tell the baggage handlers where to put the bags, which works until they get color confused after the thousandth bag. Believe me, the photo really helped the searcher know what he was looking for.

I'm glad you found your bag...no matter what the reason. It's always such a rude awakening....endless days of being pampered, and then finding yourself dumped off the ship to fend for yourself in the huge terminal with all those shoving passengers who seemed so nice on the ship. :D