First time Alaska

Garjud

We have booked a cruise on the Dawn princess on June 17 2006. This will be our first time in Alaska and we are all excited about it. My husband is wheelchair bound and I am wondering if anyone knows the accessibility of the shore excursions.There will also be two children with us. Are there usually many children on cruises to Alaska? They have been to the Caribbean several times but we want them to see the great beauty of our country. I have heard from many cruisers that Alaska cruising is the best.

Hi,

There will be children but fewer children then in the Caribbean.

If you are interested in whale watching in Juneau- you may want to contact Orca Enterprises/Capt Larry:

http://orcaenterprises.com/

Their current boat (Awesome Orca) is handicapped accessible and their new boat (Orca Odysea) which should be going out the first week in July is fully ADA compliant. They are a great company to work with in regards to disabilities.

Mendenhall glacier in Juneau is also easily accessible with a wheelchair and this can be coordinated with Capt Larry (though - ask about accessible transportation back to town). I know Capt Larry's shuttle is accessible but am not sure about the other shuttles - ask their office and they can tell you. This tour books up early - if interested, I would call right away.

Here is Mendenhall's info:

Mendenhall

You may also want to look into the WhitePass Rail Road in Skagway (train ride) - I believe this is also accessible (you can book this on the ship):

http://www.wpyr.com/

There is a disabled cruise section of CruiseCritic - you may want to ask there for other suggestions.

Archived