Certification dives- referall?

skittl1321

So, I'm not entirely sure I even want to be a diver (plan to take a discover diving class very soon). We are considering doing a PADI part I course before our cruise. We can do our open water certification here (Iowa, not much to see here) or it has the option of doing 'referall' dives with PADI shops while on vacation.

Can anyone tell me if doing the certification dives while porting for a cruise is reasonable? Does port time allow for it? Or is that something you really need to do while on a land vacation if you want to do it in the Carribbean?

I would be hesitant to try and do referral dives on a cruise ship. You have to do it over two different stops, which means you have to set up with two different shops, they have to agree to do just part of the referral dives, and you have to hope something doesn't come up that interferes with doing them (ship missing a port, etc). Also, instead of doing enjoyment dives, you are demonstrating skills instead of seeing fish and coral. Do the skills in the quarry in Iowa (I have a friend from there and he swears that there are good things to see in the lakes) and enjoy the dives in the Caribbean later.

Okay. We don't go until December, so I can definetly get certified by then.

The main purpose of this cruise is so I can practice snorkeling before we go to the Galapagos (I'm fine with my head in the water, but as soon as I'm above the surface I freak out because I can't breathe through my nose)- but husband and I thought if we get certified we could do a dive in one port. I was thinking Cozumel, but now read that it isn't really appropriate for beginners. Would Roatan or Costa Maya be better? I hear off beach snorkeling in Roatan is fabulous, so I'm not sure I want to miss that.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't really agree that Cozumel isn't good for new divers. There are a few places that aren't good for beginners (Flower Gardens, Galapagos come to mind), but the key, regardless of where you dive, is finding a reputable dive shop that understands that you are new and gives you an appropriate experience (ie, not Devils Throat)

Called the local shop to sign up for June certification (that way if we don't make it we can still do July and August).

Booked Dive with Alison for December with the message that a)certification is pending and b) this will be our first time diving 'for real'.

Archived