Passport question

RSLeesburg

You can book the cruise without the passport but you will need it to complete the set sail documents. For minors, if you are departing and arriving at the same US port you can travel with just a birth certificate but a passport is recommended.

The set sail paperwork is filled out any time between booking & a short time before departure. On Royal Caribbean you log in to your reservation online & fill it out for all passengers. Once it's all complete you can print your Set Sail Pass (boarding pass).

We just got DD her passport. I completed the information for DH & I and then added her passport info once we received it.

OK. This brings up another question that I posted on the first time cruisers. Ifi book my cruise through a TA, does this mean I do this paperwork through the TA, or would I still got through RCI?

OK. This brings up another question that I posted on the first time cruisers. Ifi book my cruise through a TA, does this mean I do this paperwork through the TA, or would I still got through RCI?
We always book through a TA, and we always complete our own set sail passes. Our TA generally reminds us that they are available (we typically cruise RCCI or X, don't really remember the processes on other lines).

. . . We cruise without passports. *hides from all the posters who are going to flame her*

Yes you can book; but (no flame intended here) many, many cruises require passports. We have only done one cruise that have not required a passport - HI. Our AK cruises have been out of Canada and our European and other cruises -- well just the plane portion of the travel required the passports! Not everyone's cruises are caribbean and out of the US.

• 1 month later...
Yes, you can book. We cruise without passports. *hides from all the posters who are going to flame her*

How difficult is this for you? I'm working on getting all of our passports (and have already booked) but on the small, small chance that we do not get them in the next 4 months, I want to see if it will be a huge hassle with birth certificates.

Yes, you can book. We cruise without passports. *hides from all the posters who are going to flame her*
The OP already stated her son needs a passport and thus they are likely sailing on a cruise where the country or countries they are visiting require a passport so the fact that you cruise without passports is non-responsive to her question and irrelevant to this thread. Your comment invites people to flame you. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

You go to their website and fill out the paperwork. Depending on your cruise you will also be able to book other stuff there (payment may be required).

The paperwork is what you would have done at the pier in the days before the internet. Now you can fill it out online and check-in takes much less time. Don't forget to print a copy to take with you. (Just like an airline boarding pass but you only need one for the cabin, not per person).

How difficult is this for you? I'm working on getting all of our passports (and have already booked) but on the small, small chance that we do not get them in the next 4 months, I want to see if it will be a huge hassle with birth certificates.

Not the poster you were asking, but we have sailed 9 times with BC and DL (family of 4) with absolutely no hassles.

If it is a closed-loop cruise from a US port, returning to the same port, no one NEEDS a passport. You do not need it to book.

For kids under 16, a birth certificate is all that is needed. Adults will need the BC and photo ID, like a driver's license or military ID. Kids don't need a photo ID at all.

We always use ONLY our BC and DL...not a problem at all!

If it is a closed-loop cruise from a US port, returning to the same port, no one NEEDS a passport. You do not need it to book.

For kids under 16, a birth certificate is all that is needed. Adults will need the BC and photo ID, like a driver's license or military ID. Kids don't need a photo ID at all.

We always use ONLY our BC and DL...not a problem at all!

In our case, we need to get a passport as we plan to take our son to London next year, so might as well get it for this - and to be honest, I like the idea of him having his own passport. Yes, it is expensive, but i think it is worth the cost. But i can understand why families with multiple children would opt not to get them if they were only taking a closed loop cruise. I just wish we could get it stamped in Bermuda.

By the way, we submitted his application last Saturday, so it should arrive in 3-6 weeks. :)

Archived