Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

So sorry to hear about the problems that sunshine is having. However, if I booked this ship with my child in mind and the water works was closed for the duration of the cruise, carnival would have to do something for me.

So sorry to hear about the problems that sunshine is having. However, if I booked this ship with my child in mind and the water works was closed for the duration of the cruise, carnival would have to do something for me.

Carnival gave each person $150.

Yes !! I am serious !!! Some people just don't seem to realize that their problems can be solved in a much less stressful way than standing in line for long periods of time.

A little common sense would dictate that you take your problems to someone who can correct them and then allow those in charge to handle it.

YOur example of the camera is a good one. Does anyone think that the service desk will have that type of camera and simply hand it over without having the proper party investigate and determine if it was actually damaged due to a cruise line fault, or if it was done otherwise.

Standing in line for two hours with this type of problem is not a smart way to do it.

The people at the service desk will report your problems to the proper department. They do not handle the corrections themselves, so your choice of how you allocate your time is yours. I say there are many better ways to handle your issues.

Yes, I remember. A phone call.:rolleyes:

Posted by John 2 hours ago on FB, in reply to a question

John Heald The Serenity deck is open and all is working there including the pool. Thewaterslide is not working yet but there are hopes that in the next day or so this and the Skycourse will open. I hope you saw the photos of the Carnival Sunshine on my blog yesterday and there will be more on Monday. You will love the ship and yes, you will have a brilliant time. cheers

Sure glad I choose not to read John's blog.

The issues seem to be very minor and I am sure will be resolved quickly and efficiently! :D

That's just the beginning, you don't rename a ship and think things will be peachy.

Never piss off King Neptune.

Superstition belongs in the Middle Ages.

I'm not buying the argument that no-one is bothered about the waterworks though, it's just a narrow minded defence, but I guess it is a polarising one. If you weren't going to use it anyway the $150 is a welcome bonus, if you've got annoyed kids or are a big kid yourself it probably doesn't help much. For my kids, they would be pretty hacked off if that and the sports area were closed the whole cruise.

I have paid £4800 for 4 people in 2 cabins on a 12 day Sunshine cruise. $150 per cabin would not be suitable recompense for the problems that ship is having at the moment.

I understand that you don't feel the offer is suitable, but if you reject it, then what do you do ??

Sometimes it is better to accept the offer and go on than incur the expense of fighting over it.

I have paid £4800 for 4 people in 2 cabins on a 12 day Sunshine cruise. $150 per cabin would not be suitable recompense for the problems that ship is having at the moment.

So, then after your cruise you write to guest solutions (the folks who handle cruise problems after you get off your cruise)

So, then after your cruise you write to guest solutions (the folks who handle cruise problems after you get off your cruise)

Id say at that point it would be too little too late!!! Hopefully its a moot point as the waterworks are scheduled to be open today!!!! My girls will be pleased :D

Id say at that point it would be too little too late!!! Hopefully its a moot point as the waterworks are scheduled to be open today!!!! My girls will be pleased :D

If you have a case, they often give you a small future discount. Its not too late for a discount in the future.

It is really unfathomable that anyone suggests that travel insurance pay for the glaring deficiencies on this cruise. I hope those who seek restitution renumerated far more than $150!

We always buy insurance - and I may be wrong - but I don't think it covers any of the alleged deficiencies on this cruise.

What about cancel for any reason insurance? Besides, if they purchase the wrong insurance it will give them something else to whine about.

Does cancel for any reason let you cancel once the cruise is underway?

I wouldn't think so but I don't know what policy you are referring to.

Bill

Does cancel for any reason let you cancel once the cruise is underway?

I wouldn't think so but I don't know what policy you are referring to.

Bill

I have no idea. There are lots of options and bells and whistles - trip cancellation, trip interruption, ...

If you can identify exactly what it is you want, I would think someone would underwrite it. If not, why not?

What could be important enough to make a person stand in line for two hours ??? Isn't the service desk equipped with phones and aren't they open 24/7 ?

Well it seems from our Breeze cruise that Carnival has now joined the world of automated answering systems. First you get to listen to the list of options to select then you select that option and are put on hold during which time you get to listen to various tidbits of info that's pre recorded. Depending on how long the wait is you'll either hang up and decide it's easier to walk down to guest services or you'll try again later. Same scenario repeated itself each time we had to call down. Gotta love the wonderful world of automated answering! :eek:

Well it seems from our Breeze cruise that Carnival has now joined the world of automated answering systems. First you get to listen to the list of options to select then you select that option and are put on hold during which time you get to listen to various tidbits of info that's pre recorded. Depending on how long the wait is you'll either hang up and decide it's easier to walk down to guest services or you'll try again later. Same scenario repeated itself each time we had to call down. Gotta love the wonderful world of automated answering! :eek:

Now someone will post that this is an improvement.:rolleyes:

It's just easier in most cases to walk down to guest services.

Bill

I have no idea. There are lots of options and bells and whistles - trip cancellation, trip interruption, ...

If you can identify exactly what it is you want, I would think someone would underwrite it. If not, why not?

I think it would quite a reach to find someone who would sell cancel for any reason insurance that included canceling once onboard.

As to why not I think it would probably cost a fortune.

Bill

I think it would quite a reach to find someone who would sell cancel for any reason insurance that included canceling once onboard.

As to why not I think it would probably cost a fortune.

Bill

Cost would be based on perceived risk. High cost should be an indication of high risk.

OTOH, Carnival's Vacation Guarantee, while not applicable in Europe, is specifically for people who are unhappy with the cruise for any reason, as long as they follow the rules. And it costs nothing extra.

I see no reason why there couldn't be something in between.

I think in insurance they call this adverse selection. It describes a situation where an individual's demand for insurance is positively correlated with the individual's risk of loss i.e. higher risks buy more insurance, and the insurer is unable to full factor in all the information (i.e. private information known only to the individual) to properly price the insurance.

For example, cancel for any reason, while on the ship could mean a situation like the current one or it could be simply the purchaser of the insurance didn't like the colour of the carpeting. The insurer has difficulty pricing for that. If the insurance is priced to low it would encourage people to use it to cancel even for the most minor problems i.e. the lower the cost of the insurance, the more it will be used, and the more the insurance company will lose money.

If you don't like the color of the carpet, or the texture of the toilet paper, I think that would be covered under Carnival's guarantee, on cruises where it is applicable.

CARNIVAL'S VACATION GUARANTEESM We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee*. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

Archived