Comparison of Veranda Rooms

don512

We had a veranda room aboard the Volendam when we cruised to Alaska last year. We are thinking of sailing the Westerdam to the western Carribean next year and were thinking that we would like to get a veranda. I have noticed that the veranda rooms aboard the Vista ships are about 40 sq. ft. smaller and was wondering where they had made the room smaller (bed area, sitting area or bathroom), and how much smaller the room actually felt. Any comments?

Both veranda and the room itself are a bit smaller. It's the equivalent of a 4' x 10' section, with space taken out of all areas to some degree. Because some of that is in the bathroom and veranda, the cabin itself won't seem that much smaller. But you will notice a difference. Enough to cramp you? Probably not, as long as there are just 2 of you in the cabin.

Vista ships' SS category cabins are considerably larger than the regular verandah cabins and also larger than the regular verandahs on HAL's R and S class ships.

If you can't justify or don't want an S suite, the SS appears to be a comfortable compromise.

The verandahs on the Vista class are a lot smaller. Instead of 2 lounge chairs, there are 2 regular chairs and 2 ottomans. Instead of the big round table and 4 chairs, there is a smaller round table with 4 chairs, and there is a tiny cocktail table between the 2 chairs. We found that if we stacked two of the chairs in a corner, it was much easier to use the table.

The verandahs on the Vista class are a lot smaller. Instead of 2 lounge chairs, there are 2 regular chairs and 2 ottomans. Instead of the big round table and 4 chairs, there is a smaller round table with 4 chairs, and there is a tiny cocktail table between the 2 chairs. We found that if we stacked two of the chairs in a corner, it was much easier to use the table.

Aren't you describing the SS verandahs on the Vista ships?

Our verandah cabin on the Vista ships had 2 chairs with ottomans and a small cocktail table, as I recall. I think that is what the OP was describing.

Our SS on the Zuiderdam had the 2 chairs, ottomans, cocktail table, small table and four chairs you've described.

Definitely the SS verandah is bigger and better! ;)

The SS suites are much larger than regular verandah cabins on the Vista class or S or R class ships. The SS balcony is very spacious, has two chairs with ottomans and a table with chairs. The suite has a large bathroom with two sinks and separate bathtub and shower, king-size bed that is larger than the queen-size bed in the regular verandah cabins, plenty of desk and closet space, and a large sitting area with a full sofa, chairs, and coffee table. I'd reccomend the SS over the regular verandah cabins, buyt I'd also look to upgrading to a Cat. S suite. The Cat. S suites have even more room with very similar features to the SS suite, but they include some special perks such as the Neptune Lounge. The regular verandah cabins have a sitting area that is very small and is much smaller than the ones on the S and R class ships. This is where the extra space is taken out.

On the Westerdam in Nov 2004 we were three couples..Two couples had Outside "D" Class & one had a verandah "AA" cabin...The outside cabins had a large Queen size sofa with table & 2 chairs & the verandah cabin had a small single sofa, with table & chairs...We all agreed that the outside cabin was better than the verandah & the price difference was not worth it..We spend most of our time on deck & very little time in our cabins..

Happy cruising!

candy - where is the link to the photos? :)

Don - when you say Verandah cabin on the Volendam, do you remember the category, i.e., was it an S, A or B - or do you remember the cabin #. This would help answering your question. Cabins with verandah's on the Vista ships (Westerdam) are completely different from the other ships.

The smaller veranda cabins on the Vista class ships albeit only about 40 square feet are very inconvenient. The "missing area" is by the TV area. smaller couch, no end table there, no drawer space below the TV, counter is inconvenient.

The rest of the cabin is the same as on the S class cabins. We found the veranda cabin on the Westerdam much less convenient then on the Volendam, Veendam, Zandam etc. and there are only two of us. I would not book a veranda cabin on a Vista class vessel again.

We've had A and B cabins on Maasdam and Zaandam, and a BB on Zuiderdam (which is now classified as a VE). The bottom line is, 3 people can be comfortably accommodated in a verandah cabin on the earlier ships, but we'll never do that again on a Vista class ship. We definitely missed the space in both the cabin and the balcony, and the storage was inadequate for 3, in my opinion.

On Maasdam, Zaandam and their sister ships, HAL's verandah cabins were originally called "mini-suites." When they created the Vista class, they downsized the verandah cabins and advertised them as affordable balconies. I guess they figured people used to the mini-suites would upgrade to the SS cabins on Vista ships, while the suite passengers would stick with the S class. I get the impression, though, that SS has not been the success HAL anticipated. I think the jump from VA/VB to SS is too pricey on a lot of sailings - again, just my opinion.

If there are just 2 of you sailing on Westerdam, you'll probably be just fine with a regular verandah cabin.

Happy sailing,

Susan

Archived