Girona -- is guide needed?

mommb

My family (me, husband, 14-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter) is looking at doing a day-trip to Girona following a cruise disembarking in Barcelona next month. We found a tour company that will pick us up at the port and return us to our hotel. We have a choice of just an English-speaking driver or both a driver and a guide, which is obviously more expensive. How difficult would it be to navigate around Girona ourselves? We do not speak Spanish, so I'm concerned whether historical markers, museum exibits, etc. would be understandable to us. Thanks for any thoughts!

We went to Girona last summer. However, we did it pre-cruise and took the train from Sants. We had no problem with language in Girona. We took maps and knew where we wanted to go. Most of our time was spent walking around the Call imagining what it was like centuries ago. Here is a link to my pictures:

http://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/362

Thank you for the response! The pictures are great and reinforced our decision to spend a day in Girona. Maybe we will go with just a driver and use the money we "save" to eat at the 1-star Michelin restaurant my husband is salivating over.

We were there for lunch and just picked an outdoor cafe from the many around. Towards the back end of the pictures there is one of a really good dessert place as well as a menu sign from the street on which we had lunch.

Enjoy!

Archived