Black Bay Beach & Park

royal girl

2963521.jpg

Small beach with a new concessionaire on Ireland South. Maybe a 20 mnute walk from Dockyard, probably better to take the #7 bus.

It looks lovely but very small, and rocky. I understand the new Breakaway will be in Bermuda at the same time as Celebrity Summit. That's a lot of people you all:rolleyes:.

Thanks for that link, Interesting to read all the comments...

It was.............. Makes you wonder if Bermudians even want visitors on THEIR island, doesn't it? It's a little late but if they don't want us, they better figure out where the money is going to come from to keep THEIR island solvent.

They need to realize not everyone living on THEIR island is wealthy.............

I wonder what the people who make disparaging remarks about cruisers have to say to the merchants, or former merchants, in the now almost ghost town of St. George. Why haven't all the fly and stays kept SG alive? Hamilton has also felt the loss.

I wonder what the people who make disparaging remarks about cruisers have to say to the merchants, or former merchants, in the now almost ghost town of St. George. Why haven't all the fly and stays kept SG alive? Hamilton has also felt the loss.

You're so right! When we CRUISED to Bermuda last year, I wanted to cry when we went to St George.......... It's even worse than Hamilton! Seems like the money stays with the merchants who cater to the cruisers.

Bermuda is beautiful but the only way I can afford to visit is on a cruise. A fly & stay is way out of my price range & I don't think I'm alone.

You're so right! When we CRUISED to Bermuda last year, I wanted to cry when we went to St George.......... It's even worse than Hamilton! Seems like the money stays with the merchants who cater to the cruisers.

Bermuda is beautiful but the only way I can afford to visit is on a cruise. A fly & stay is way out of my price range & I don't think I'm alone.

Last year I bought a pair of earrings in ER Aubrey that were FAR more then the tee shirt and ice cream cone one person mentioned.:rolleyes: Anyway, when we were in the store, there were only 2 other customers as opposed to when we docked in Hamilton and I could barely get close to the counter in the same jewelry store. I'm sure not everyone bought something but on the sheer number of people, they had to be doing better than having only 3 customers.

Those were pretty nasty remarks on that blog. I thought Bermuda was the "friendly island"? There are so many other places where we can hitch the floating trailer, I'm beginning to wonder if I should cancel? Wow, Makes me not want to spend any money on the island. I tend to spend a lot when on vacation, on guides, food and jewelry. I guess I'll be saving some money for my next cruise somewhere else. I wonder if any of those bloggers have ever been on a luxury cruise ship?

I'm not a big shopper but I do have a shelf full of glass........ The first time we were at the Dockyard, I wasn't thrilled about the location but did wander into the Glass factory. I watched them making angels & it seemed like the ideal souvenir and a wonderful reminder of our cruise. The following year, I bought another piece & now it's a must do.

And of course, the pieces keep getting bigger & more intricate therefore more expensive. I promised DH I'd only buy a small piece this year but, it's all about what strikes my fancy when we get there..........

Those were pretty nasty remarks on that blog. I thought Bermuda was the "friendly island"? There are so many other places where we can hitch the floating trailer, I'm beginning to wonder if I should cancel? Wow, Makes me not want to spend any money on the island. I tend to spend a lot when on vacation, on guides, food and jewelry. I guess I'll be saving some money for my next cruise somewhere else. I wonder if any of those bloggers have ever been on a luxury cruise ship?

NO, do not cancel. Bermuda IS the friendly island and I could give you any number of examples of wonderful encounters with the residents. We just have to ignore the insults from a few rude people.

It looks lovely but very small, and rocky. I understand the new Breakaway will be in Bermuda at the same time as Celebrity Summit. That's a lot of people you all:rolleyes:.

Every time we go to Bermuda there are 2 cruise ships docked at the Dockyard and sometimes 1 in Hamilton( not anymore though). So there are usually a lot of people there on cruises..:) Not usually a problem

There is a small group, I repeat SMALL group, of people who dominate the newspaper blogs and spout all sorts of rubbish which deeply embarrass the rest of us. I can't bear to read the comment sections any more, I am so ashamed.

These opinions do not reflect the feelings of the majority of Bermudians!!

We are still a friendly little isle and are delighted to welcome our visitors. Sadly we are having financial difficulties that started with the worldwide recession a few years ago and have been aggravated by the incompetence of the previous Government, but we have a new Government now with a much better attitude to developing Tourism and we are optimistic that improvement is coming.

Don't give up on us yet, please!

The comments are no different than the comments on any article in any country. It seems that there are people that thrive on posting negative comments. I stopped reading the comment sections a long time ago.

They sound so beautiful. I love blown glass. I suppose you ship them? My husband would kill me if I tried to carry it on. It kept me from buying in Murano last time we were there.

As to the angry bloggers, I agree, they are probably just frustrated. The last time we were there everyone was courteous and friendly. We won't give up on such a beautiful neighbor.

They sound so beautiful. I love blown glass. I suppose you ship them? My husband would kill me if I tried to carry it on. It kept me from buying in Murano last time we were there. Where did you buy them?

As to the angry bloggers, I agree, they are probably just frustrated about the trying economic times but no sense in killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. The last time we were in Bermuda everyone was courteous and friendly. It has been a while and we stayed at Reefs, so that is why I was shocked by the bloggers. Don't worry we won't give up on such a beautiful neighbor.

They sound so beautiful. I love blown glass. I suppose you ship them? My husband would kill me if I tried to carry it on. It kept me from buying in Murano last time we were there.

Not recessary to ship. I just tucked mine, which was packed in tissue paper in a box, in my carry on. Beautiful pink and green angel fish.

http://www.dockyardcompany.com/DockyardGlassWorks/products.html

After a few cruises to Bermuda we wanted more than two or three days. Hotels are outrageously expensive, but we found a web site where home owners list their private property for rent. We rented a small one bedroom condo from a home owner. One bedroom, small kitchen and a bathroom. And we had free use of their swimming pool. Price was $120 per night, total. No per person, no taxes or government fees -- $120 per night.

The kitchen allowed us to save on eating out. There was a grocery store just a short walk away -- we had coffee and danish for breakfast. We'd eat lunch or dinner at the condo too -- making something simple. The other meal we'd eat out -- exploring the great restaurants around Bermuda. And we rented a scooter for transportation.

The web site is here: http://www.bermudarentals.com. No affilation, just a happy customer.

All in all I'd say this vacation cost us 15% more than a cruise -- but we had seven full days in Bermuda, not just two or three.

Back to the topic - Black Bay Beach.

The article said they will be offering snorkeling there. Has anyone been there before to let me know the depth and sea life variety there?

Was already planning to walk to Sea Glass beach. Will definately bring my snorkeling gear if there is anything to see at Black Bay.

After a few cruises to Bermuda we wanted more than two or three days. Hotels are outrageously expensive, but we found a web site where home owners list their private property for rent. We rented a small one bedroom condo from a home owner. One bedroom, small kitchen and a bathroom. And we had free use of their swimming pool. Price was $120 per night, total. No per person, no taxes or government fees -- $120 per night.

The kitchen allowed us to save on eating out. There was a grocery store just a short walk away -- we had coffee and danish for breakfast. We'd eat lunch or dinner at the condo too -- making something simple. The other meal we'd eat out -- exploring the great restaurants around Bermuda. And we rented a scooter for transportation.

The web site is here: http://www.bermudarentals.com. No affilation, just a happy customer.

All in all I'd say this vacation cost us 15% more than a cruise -- but we had seven full days in Bermuda, not just two or three.

We stayed at a apartment on Middle road facing Hamilton Harbor. A very nice location near Salt Kettle. And the price was the same, $120 a night.

We used Bermuda rentals also and they were terrific, very easy to deal with. Fiona Campbell straightened out few minor details quickly and we had a marvelous time. The kitchen was a big money saver, and the owner was kind enough to have the maid do a wash for us. It was about 15% more than a cruise because you have to factor in the food cost and airfare. But as Paul says you get 7 days in Bermuda. Well worth considering as an option

Back to the topic - Black Bay Beach.

The article said they will be offering snorkeling there. Has anyone been there before to let me know the depth and sea life variety there?

Was already planning to walk to Sea Glass beach. Will definately bring my snorkeling gear if there is anything to see at Black Bay.

We visited Black Bay beach while on the Breakaway last Thursday. The weather was perfect and we had a nice time on the beach. The chair and umbrellas rentals were only $5, very reasonable. There are 3 beaches to pick from. If you are already visiting sea glass beach, Black Bay is about 100 feet further. The water was very clear and clean, shallow about waist deep. It was also much calmer than Horseshoe beach which had more wave action. My wife saw one fish but there is a lot of coral formations very close to the beach. I am guessing snorkeling would be fun there.

jeansaussie1- If you are planning to go to Sea Glass Beach too, bring your snorkeling stuff with you. We did last year and my husband saw some nice fish out there. But... everyone... BRING WATER SHOES!!! The beach is covered in sea glass... obviously! :p And once you enter the water, there are tons of rocks and "stuff" that you have to walk over until you get to some nice sand and then you can swim a little or snorkle.

I guess we could've walked a little further to Black Bay Beach, but we didn't know about it. But we will this time! Have fun! :)

Archived