Friends of Bill W. meetings

Yes, I go to them sometimes. Some are well attended, some less so. Usually the first few nights have more people. Definitely go! Even if there are only a few people it's better than not going at all :).

Thanks so much! I think we really need this! I'm sure there is plenty to do without (well u know). Hope to meet other friends this way to make friends on board who have same interests. Thanks so much! God bless!

You too! I drink a lot of lattes and things... Specialty coffees. That makes it nice. Plus a bar bill of *zero*, no hangover, no stupidity, no drunken arguments, no sloppy BS- honestly....:D

Our son is a very serious friend of Bill W. I have heard sometimes almost no one shows up. You can always say 'Lets meet here tomorrow night if there isn't a meeting scheduled.'Ther are usually at 5pm.

And we LOVE the Fantasy! Were on her 10 times last year and only twice so far this year. On 2nd night the Captain, cruise director & Officers will stand outside the Cat's Lounge from 5-6 & 7-8. But they're not always on time so the 1/2 hour is better time to meet all. Take your camera for a picture of you with the Captain.

Check your daily program -- the meetings are always listed there.

I have noticed on HAL that they are usually held at 5 PM every day.

HAL has the best FOB attendance IMHO. I was on a HAL sailing where we had upwards of 20 FOB's meeting regularly (at least on sea days). Carnival- less so but you never know! Depends on the sailing and if there is ever a time that you need a meeting, it's on a cruise. I wish CC had a sober cruisers forum. Anyway, OP, if you have the Steps Away app on an iPhone you can probably find a meeting in port- might be kind of wild depending on where you are ;).

I don't know where on your HAL cruise the meetings where.

But I had to chuckle a couple of times when I read the places selected for the meetings.

On the Amsterdam there were held in what is called the King's Room which has been turned into a storage area -- there are a few seats set up in front of a podium.

On a couple of ships, the meetings were held in the Piano Bar -- but of course the bar wasn't open at 5 PM.

Has anyone ever attended Friends of Bill meetings on Carnival? I heard there are some. Does anyone know about this? I'm cruising on Carnival Fantasy in October. Thanks!

Never sailed Carnival, but I remember on other cruise lines there were meetings listed on the daily schedule (it will be left in your cabin every night) - and if not, there were ads by the library about all sorts of groups.

Our son is a very serious friend of Bill W. I have heard sometimes almost no one shows up. You can always say 'Lets meet here tomorrow night if there isn't a meeting scheduled.'Ther are usually at 5pm.

And we LOVE the Fantasy! Were on her 10 times last year and only twice so far this year. On 2nd night the Captain, cruise director & Officers will stand outside the Cat's Lounge from 5-6 & 7-8. But they're not always on time so the 1/2 hour is better time to meet all. Take your camera for a picture of you with the Captain.

All Carnival ships schedule a FOBW meeting place and it is listed in the Fun Times. I was just looking at my old FT and see on the Conquest they met at 9am in the Library. On the Breeze is was 5pm, also in the Library which is unfortunate since there is a bar in there.

They are not always in a private place, the Library opens at 8am for card players and they don't vacate at 9. And I don't think there is anyone actually leading the meeting.

I don't know where on your HAL cruise the meetings where.

But I had to chuckle a couple of times when I read the places selected for the meetings.

On the Amsterdam there were held in what is called the King's Room which has been turned into a storage area -- there are a few seats set up in front of a podium.

On a couple of ships, the meetings were held in the Piano Bar -- but of course the bar wasn't open at 5 PM.

Well I guess we'll have to make do in the absence of musty church basements with asbestos everywhere and the smell of cigarette smoke wafting in ;). We're not picky!

I have a question related to FoB meetings. Are people suffering from other addictions welcome at these meetings? So many other 12step programs are based on this, including the one I belong to, I thought I might get reinforcement by attending FoB on board.

Margaret

I have a question related to FoB meetings. Are people suffering from other addictions welcome at these meetings? So many other 12step programs are based on this, including the one I belong to, I thought I might get reinforcement by attending FoB on board.

Margaret

Yes, absolutely, there is no one in charge anyway- just like any other meeting. Open group. I've been at other meetings at sea where we've had GA and NA people at meetings.

Seago2

Thanks for your response! I was active on another thread, about a person with a gambling addiction, ( i think you responded to my post there) and it got me thinking about meetings on board.

It's good to know that I can attend. I'll be on a 16 night cruise with a lot of sea days, and too much free time can erode my defenses against my addiction very quickly.

Margaret

Seago2

Thanks for your response! I was active on another thread, about a person with a gambling addiction, ( i think you responded to my post there) and it got me thinking about meetings on board.

It's good to know that I can attend. I'll be on a 16 night cruise with a lot of sea days, and too much free time can erode my defenses against my addiction very quickly.

Margaret

I know, I saw you on there ;). 16 days is a way, wayyyyy long time. There will definitely be FOB people on a cruise that long. Yeah, bring your baggage, whatever make or model, you'll be welcomed for sure!

Archived