DIY Sorrento & Capri

vmjp

We will be visiting Naples at the end of June on the Norwegian Epic from 7am-7pm. We are very interested in seeing at least some of the Amalfi Coast as well as Capri (Pompeii is not of much interest to us). Since most of the affordable shared tours include Pompeii, we were thinking of just visiting Sorrento and Capri on our own. Schedule would be as follows:

-7:45am: disembark ship

-8:30am: ferry Naples to Sorrento (Metro del Mare - is this the only option? I would like to find a backup in case we don't make this one, but I've only found this site for ferry schedules: http://www.metrodelmare.net/orari-tratte-e-tariffe/)

-9:00-11:30am: explore Sorrento

-11:45am: ferry Sorrento to Capri

-12:30-4:00: explore Capri (Blue Grotto, Anacapri)

-4:30pm: ferry Capri to Naples

-5:15: board ship

Does this seem feasible? How reliable are the ferries? Should we book them in advance or is it not necessary? I am nervous about doing this on our own but I would hate to not be able to see Capri or some of the coast. Thanks in advance.

Sorrento is not the Amalfi Coast, it's the Sorrentine. The Amalfi Coast is the opposite side of the peninsula. Personally, I don't find much of interest in Sorrento, but that's me.

Metro del Mare has not proven to be a particularly reliable service/site, I rely more on http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe?route_group_id=3http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe?route_group_id=3. The first boat of the day, right now anyway, is at 9 AM. You can see the entire departure list for Molo Beverello (the pier right next to the cruise port) on the Port Authority web site here: http://www.porto.napoli.it/it/servizi/PartenzeBeverello.php

The Amalfi coast is difficult to get to DIY, unfortunately. It can be done, but you spend a lot of your day in transit. There aren't as many boat crossings as one might like, so there's little flexibility. There will be more added during the height of the season, however.

If Sorrento will fulfill you, rather than Amalfi, you can easily accomplish this in one day. Alternately, you could plan to spend your entire day on Capri.

For boat schedules between Sorrento and the Amalfi coast (as well as between the Amalfi Coast and Capri), see here: http://alicost.it/content/?id=6

Absolutely. Within less than half a mile from the cruise port there is Castel Nuovo (castle and museum), the opera house, the royal palace, and the galleria. Push it out to a mile and you can include a range of art and history, including one of the world's best archeology museums.

We are looking at doing a similar plan, but in reverse. We are going to head to Capri first thing and stay there until around 12:00, and then go to Sorrento, have lunch, etc., and then take a hydrofoil back to Naples. I didn't realize the ferry fares were quite that high - it looks like that route will be about 50 euros each. I looked at the SNAV site. Any other suggestions?

Yeah I was surprised at the cost too. We went to Capri from our NCL cruise in April. We got the second ferry. 8.07? something like that. Glad we did. We went up the fenicular then got the bus up then the chairlift. We looked at the amazing view (took loads of photos) then slowly worked our way down, looking at shops, eating etc. The bus going around those narrow windy roads is unbelievable.

There was hardly anyone at the top when we got there. On our way back down the chairlift most were full going up.

So I'm glad I listened to advise on here to go straight to the top then take your time going down. At the bottom we got on a boat around the island. DO NOT leave this too late. We asked when the next trip was and were told 1pm and it took half an hour. Well it ACTUALLY left at 1.25 and took 45 minutes as you need to wait at the blue grotto while people are taken inside in small boats. So if there are a lot on your boat (ours only had 20 onboard) you could wait ages. There is a sign saying they'll ONLY wait 45 minutes at the Grotto. Glad we didn't have the 2pm ferry booked.

When you buy your ticket they ask what time you want to come back.

We had a lovely day.

Thanks for the link. I have one last question (for now!). Is there anything to do near the Naples NCL cruise port?

Herculaneum (it: Ercolano) is a town close to Naples in Campania, Italy. It is named after the ruined Roman city which forms its main attraction. Herculaneum was destroyed by an eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in AD 79, the same eruption that destroyed Pompei. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Yeah I was surprised at the cost too. We went to Capri from our NCL cruise in April. We got the second ferry. 8.07? something like that. Glad we did. We went up the fenicular then got the bus up then the chairlift. We looked at the amazing view (took loads of photos) then slowly worked our way down, looking at shops, eating etc. The bus going around those narrow windy roads is unbelievable.

There was hardly anyone at the top when we got there. On our way back down the chairlift most were full going up.

So I'm glad I listened to advise on here to go straight to the top then take your time going down. At the bottom we got on a boat around the island. DO NOT leave this too late. We asked when the next trip was and were told 1pm and it took half an hour. Well it ACTUALLY left at 1.25 and took 45 minutes as you need to wait at the blue grotto while people are taken inside in small boats. So if there are a lot on your boat (ours only had 20 onboard) you could wait ages. There is a sign saying they'll ONLY wait 45 minutes at the Grotto. Glad we didn't have the 2pm ferry booked.

When you buy your ticket they ask what time you want to come back.

We had a lovely day.

Thanks for the info. What else is there to do if one doesn't go up the fenicular or chairlift? There are a few people in our group who don't do heights well :) How long is one in the grotto for and how would it be for someone who is a tad claustrophobic? (that's me:D)

The funicolare shouldn't bother someone with a fear of heights, it's an indoor car that goes up the hill on a track. The chairlift is another story.

You can get to both Capri town (the other end of the funicolare from Marina Grande) by bus or taxi, if you wish.

From Capri to Anacapri, the other town on the island, you can also use either a bus or a taxi.

The grotto might be difficult for a claustrophobic; not so much the cave itself, but the lying down in the boat to get in and out through the small opening.

The funicolare shouldn't bother someone with a fear of heights, it's an indoor car that goes up the hill on a track. The chairlift is another story.

You can get to both Capri town (the other end of the funicolare from Marina Grande) by bus or taxi, if you wish.

From Capri to Anacapri, the other town on the island, you can also use either a bus or a taxi.

The grotto might be difficult for a claustrophobic; not so much the cave itself, but the lying down in the boat to get in and out through the small opening.

Thank you for that warning. I don't think that I'll be going into that grotto anytime soon! I'm fine with heights - closed places, not so much!

Just my 2 cents. We've done both but not in the same day. I think trying to do both in the same day will be a bit rushed.

Your plan also calls for perfect timing of the ferries. It can happen but I usually try to put some buffer into my ferry plans just in case.

Euro cruiser, wondering if the Beverello port is easy to find when you come off the cruise ship? last year my husband and I took the train from Naples to Sorrento but the journey was not scenic to say the least would like to try the boat this year then once in Sorrento take bus along to Positano any advice?

It could not be easier. As you exit the cruise port terminal building, look to your left. That's Molo Beverello. As you approach you'll see an electronic board atop a building listing the upcoming boats and who the operator is - that's how you know which line to get in to purchase tickets.

molo_beverello.jpg

Just my 2 cents. We've done both but not in the same day. I think trying to do both in the same day will be a bit rushed.

Your plan also calls for perfect timing of the ferries. It can happen but I usually try to put some buffer into my ferry plans just in case.

I kind of agree about it being a bit rushed. We've never been to Capri, so I kind of want to see it, but I don't know that I really feel like spending the whole day there. Likewise, I love Sorrento, and would love to spend a little time there. Our friends have never been to either place. I'll definitely build in some buffer into the timing. I also have the train info in case there is bad weather keeping the ferries from operating.

Rethinking our plan. Now it looks like we will just go straight to Sorrento. Depending upon what we feel like at the time we might see about finding a driver to take us up the Coast (I'm sure there will be people at the port there offering tours) or just hang in Sorrento for the day. If I'm looking at all these sites correctly, the ferry times back to Naples on that Sunday aren't great. I'm seeing a 2:00 (too early) and a 4:25, which might be cutting it close for a 6:30 departure from Naples. It looks like there is a 4:07 train. Does anyone know how reliable those times are?

Rethinking our plan. Now it looks like we will just go straight to Sorrento. Depending upon what we feel like at the time we might see about finding a driver to take us up the Coast (I'm sure there will be people at the port there offering tours) or just hang in Sorrento for the day. If I'm looking at all these sites correctly, the ferry times back to Naples on that Sunday aren't great. I'm seeing a 2:00 (too early) and a 4:25, which might be cutting it close for a 6:30 departure from Naples. It looks like there is a 4:07 train. Does anyone know how reliable those times are?

Unless you are highly risk averse, I think the 4:25 would be fine. It puts you at Beverello at just after 5 PM, just a couple of minutes stroll from the cruise port.

The 4:07 train arrives at Porta Nolana at 5:14, then you've got to get from there back to the cruise port (a mile and a third). In other words, at least fifteen minutes later than the boat.

Unless you are highly risk averse, I think the 4:25 would be fine. It puts you at Beverello at just after 5 PM, just a couple of minutes stroll from the cruise port.

The 4:07 train arrives at Porta Nolana at 5:14, then you've got to get from there back to the cruise port (a mile and a third). In other words, at least fifteen minutes later than the boat.

Perfect, and good points. I think that 5:00 is plenty of time, given our sailing time. We've been to that area, but we've never done the ferries before. I just wasn't sure how much they actually stick to those schedules :)

In my experience the ferries are pretty strict about schedules but I've only used them about 10 times, which is far from statistically significant.

Thanks. Have you ever taken the ferries from Sorrento farther up the Coast, to Positano, for example? We are traveling with friends who have never been to that area, so I'm thinking it would be fun to do more than just Sorrento. We are now thinking about either finding a private guide to take us from Sorrento along the Coast to Positano and possibly Ravello, or the other option would be just to wing it and take the ferry on our own to Positano. Given our timing of when we would get to Sorrento, if we were to hire the guide in advance, it wouldn't give us hardly any time in Sorrento before meeting up with him and then having to be back to Sorrento to get back to Naples. I like the idea of taking the ferry to Sorrento and starting whatever we do from there as we will be in port on a Sunday in June, and I know that the area from Naples towards the Coast is crazy busy with traffic on Sundays. I'm thinking that if we do hire a company/driver to take us from Sorrento, we will have missed a lot of that traffic. Any thoughts?

Archived