Yet ANOTHER Not So Nice Carnival Article...via the NY Times 5/8/2013

I see two examples of slanted journalism in the article by Ms Rosenbloom.

First is the reference to Walker whose main purpose is to sue cruise lines.

Next is Carnival is the ONLY company that is mentioned by name when the statistics about problems at sea are quoted.

That would lead a naive reader to think all these events are on Carnival ships --- which they are not.

Fair and balanced reporting would show which cruise lines are having problems and what percentages pertain to each line.

I don't recall the national media covering the 4 year old who drown in a DCL pool. Or the 15 year old boy raped by a man on RCI. Those incidents happened in March and April.

I am not necessarily a Carnival supporter, but it does appear the media does pile on them and they don't really report(nationally) incidents on other lines.

The article in the OP is fair and doesn't pile on. Articles relating to the two people who jumped overboard for the most part pile on.

Never saw CNN or other media mention the guy on an ncl cruise a week ago who jumped from an upper deck into a pool. Thing is, he missed and his head hit the edge of the pool and blood was streaming out of his nose and ears. Ship had to turn back to port. No idea if the guy lived or not since it wasn't a Carnival cruise thus the media had no interest.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Some of you guys are trying to compare Cruisers having accidents or doing stupid things to a cruiseline having 3 ships with significant malfunctions.

This just can't really be compared.

If a Royal ship was stranded without power for 3 days and in need of a tug to get to land do you really, honestly think that CNN would not cover it?

Some of you guys are trying to compare Cruisers having accidents or doing stupid things to a cruiseline having 3 ships with significant malfunctions.

This just can't really be compared.

If a Royal ship was stranded without power for 3 days and in need of a tug to get to land do you really, honestly think that CNN would not cover it?

Wrong. Nobody is comparing the Triumph to anything. We're talking all the "other" stuff.

Wrong. Nobody is comparing the Triumph to anything. We're talking all the "other" stuff.

Well that's good because you really can't compare the Triumph story to any of the other ones that people have mentioned. That was a big story and CNN would have covered that if it was any cruiseline IMHO.

There have been TV show talking about rapes on cruiseships that mentioned other lines.

There was a lot of coverage when the American fellow on his honeymoon many years ago, disappeared from a RCCL ship and was presumed dead.

I DO think that we may hear more now about incidents with Carnival ships because it is human nature to kick something when it's down but the examples like the near drowning on Disney and the rape of the 15 year old on Royal and the "jumper/drunk?" on NCL would have also been glossed over had they happened on a Carnival ship, prior to the Triumph incident.

The Concordia opened the wound and the 3 ships with major malfunctioning issues made it deeper and now it's hemorrhaging and the sharks are in the water.

A very good friend of mine is planning a cruise for her 20th Anniversary.

She knows we have been on 13 Carnival Cruises ... yet is so closed minded and has fallen to the false Customer Perception of Carnival.

When news of the couple in Australia came out she posted on Facebook.. THATS IT>> that seals the Deal... No Carnival Cruises EVER for me!

At first I was going to post and defend Carnival Yet again.

Instead, I said.... GOOD> More close minded people like her can think what they want. Let the prices go down and I will enjoy our cruise with people who are HAPPY to be there!!

Customer Perception is such a hard thing. Carnival DOES have work to do to win back the secondary customers who are not loyal.

Catrin

Well that's good because you really can't compare the Triumph story to any of the other ones that people have mentioned. That was a big story and CNN would have covered that if it was any cruiseline IMHO.

There have been TV show talking about rapes on cruiseships that mentioned other lines.

There was a lot of coverage when the American fellow on his honeymoon many years ago, disappeared from a RCCL ship and was presumed dead.

I DO think that we may hear more now about incidents with Carnival ships because it is human nature to kick something when it's down but the examples like the near drowning on Disney and the rape of the 15 year old on Royal and the "jumper/drunk?" on NCL would have also been glossed over had they happened on a Carnival ship, prior to the Triumph incident.

The Concordia opened the wound and the 3 ships with major malfunctioning issues made it deeper and now it's hemorrhaging and the sharks are in the water.

The media didn't overlook the two people who jumped off the Carnival ship in Australia. In fact some of the stories included the other recent events involving Carnival.

The media didn't overlook the two people who jumped off the Carnival ship in Australia. In fact some of the stories included the other recent events involving Carnival.

Exactly that's what I meant. Re-read the paragraph starting with "I DO think"

When news of the couple in Australia came out she posted on Facebook.. THATS IT>> that seals the Deal... No Carnival Cruises EVER for me!

I wonder if we have a mutual friend? One of mine posted pretty much the same thing after the news broke.

Archived