Security on Cruise Ships

The dreadful story this week of the pair falling off the Carnival Spirit has to make one question the security on cruise ships.

If this was captured on CCTV cameras, why was this not picked up the night they fell off?

Prehaps Ann Sherry has a lot of questions to answer about the security on ships sailing here in Australia.

I think this issue has been discussed. Security are not able to watch every camera feed all the time. As it was the last night, almost all the passengers were in public areas and security were busy in these areas. Security cannot be every where at the same time. Accidents can and do happen and if the events are in line with the report that said the girl fell (was she sitting on the rail? Cabin balcony rails are too high to just fall over) and her partner jumped in to save her, sad though it is, the passengers concerned bear some responsibility.

Don't get me wrong, I think the events are tragic but not sure how Carnival are supposed to prevent it.

I think she answered questions well.

The number of cameras on a ship is a very large one. Many are for being able to check something or follow a possible incident and monitor. like police cameras monitoring a town centre - there are 2 people in the control room in our local police station for over 1000 cameras. I suppose it's about risk assessment.

I can only imagine that if they had more cameras, and hundreds more security staff - aside from the massive extra cost that would impose - people would be complaining about the loss of privacy, and how unfriendly it felt on board.

I've only been on 2 cruises, but both times I felt safe. The first, on Sun Princess, we often saw staff walking the promenade and on Pacific Dawn there were cameras. I suppose there were some on Sun Princess as well.

When you come right down to it, these are ships, they are at sea. It's not a little sail boat close in to the shore. People need to do their bit and be a bit careful.

It is virtually I possible to "fall off" a cruise ship, one can jump or one can be thrown off but not fall off.

Unless you are doing something stupid like sitting on a rail or entering areas you are not supposed to.

Unless you are doing something stupid like sitting on a rail or entering areas you are not supposed to.

Even entering restricted areas is not likely to put you in danger of falling off; they also aim to have a safe work environment for their staff.

Even entering restricted areas is not likely to put you in danger of falling off; they also aim to have a safe work environment for their staff.

Sorry I should have been more clear I meant on the other side of the rail or something like that.

Archived