Souks and Sangria?

Maisie May

Hi,

Thinking about booking a week in the sun. We have been on lovely old IE3 times and thought we had 'done' the Western Med but are tempted by a good deal and haven't been to Gib or some of the other places on the Souks and Sangria. Can anyone suggest which ports could be done on foot as this is what we prefer...or going local. On Island Escape and Star and Thomson Majesty we have done a bike trip but I'm not keen on hills so any advice there gratefully received. Wow, a long list but thanks if you can help even on one of my queries!

Hi there Maisie...we did this itinerary last year except we had Mahon instead of Ibiza... The only place we did a trip was Tangier where we went to the Atlantic coast as well as the Med coast and also to the casbah in town....it was a good trip..You could walk around town if you wanted and there was a beach within walking distance as well.

Gib is easy to walk into town or get a taxi at the port into town for a few euros or they will take you on a trip if you want.

Malaga has a shuttle from port to the city and it is easy to walk from there to the cathedral or the shopping area ....there is a HOHO bus here and also Roman ruins not far up the hill on the right with lovely views. There is a beach here close to the ships berth so walkable.

Cartagena is also walkable from the ship through the marina and up the steps then to the right for a lift up t the castle on top of the hill and then walk down the opposite side through the amphitheatre to the town.

Hope this helps !!:)

Thanks Jenny, very helpful. As you are a seasoned cruiser, have you ever done the Crimean discovery trip. Like the idea of seeing those parts of the world but don't want to feel ( and can't afford) to do all the tours. Wonder if any are DIY. The trip is aThomson Celebration one.

As I had a spare 5 mins at work thought I would pop in to say hello :D

As Jenny said, that is a nice week in the sun visiting Gib and Tangeirs, Cartergena is really nice and only 5 mins walk.

Looking forward this year to to Ibiza, done 2 weeks in Ibiza before but this will be different.

Hello again Maisie..yes we did crimean discovery a few years ago on CAlypso...though slightly different itinerary...Nessebar was quaint easily walkable ....SEvastopol...we did a trip here to see some of the countryside rather than just the town...very interesting....COnstanta...we did trip here winetasting..again to see some of the country....Istanbul...we love it here..easy to walk here...to spice market and grand bazaar...tram from outside port to blue mosque area with topkapis palace and haghia sofia close by....lovely sail through dardanelles and bosphorus on first sea day and (hopefully late evening) IStanbul all lit up!! Nice itinerary!

Morning all,going on souks and sangria June 11 myself wife and 14 year old daughter never been on cruise before so we were bit concerned to what to expect, but after reading message boards can't wait.choose this cruise because we new we could walk from port to centre,after going online and checking distances and also having been to most of the ports of call on previous holidays.cant believe all the worrys we had have been answered and I haven't had to ask anything yet, thanks for putting our minds at rest roll on June .

Thanks rebel rouser , my girls were wondering does anybody know the prices for the beauty treatment sessions.think I will be sat on a bar stool watching the world go by I am lucky enough not to need anything done to me.lol.if only. Rebel have you done all your cruising on island escape, brother in law has done cruising but his wife enjoys dressing up every nite but we fancied the informal for first cruise.wife has said we will try oasis one nite and I have to forgo my shorts .

Premier, to date have done 14 times on the Escape. once on the Ocean Village and once each on the Thomson Destiny and Thomson Spirit only because the Escape was being refurbished for the winter. and was transfered to the thomson ships.

Smart Casual for the Oasis, me I just wear Chino's and a polo shirt, Must admit the Ladies do dress up well and it's very rare you see the ladies scruffyish :eek:

Archived