Options if we can't go on our cruise?

SuzCruise

You definitely can reschedule jury duty in Oklahoma if you have a non refundable trip paid for. You will not be able to "get out" of it altogether, but they will let you pick an alternative time to do it.

That is great .... but in the same way that you cannot have a car accident and then buy car insurance and make a claim - you cannot buy travel insurance afteran event that will cause a claim and then make a claim. That is true in California, UK and Timbuktu ......:)

Only trying to help .... but I think everyone is aware of that anyway.

To get back to the original point, does anyone know why the cruiselines have this policy that you can't reschedule in the same way you can with an airline? With an airline you don't get your money back and you can only reschedule to another available flight and have to pay a change fee. And with many airlines there is a clock ticking on that credit, use it or lose it within a year. This seems as if it would bring more revenue to the cruiselines, not cost them money. Anyone know the rational behind this annoying rule? It's not going to help me, just curious.

Maybe a good TA could have gone to bat for you!

The TA we booked with was unable to get SS to alter their policies. I must assume since you felt the need to post this that you have had luck in the past with a TA being able to help when you were unable to take a cruise because of a last minute unfortunate circumstance? Please share the details of your experience and the resolution? You seem to insinuate that the TA we used wasn't a good one and that these policies about cancellations and transferring cruises don't apply to good TA's.

We ALWAYS take out insurance with each cruise we book. It also covers visits to the ship's doctor and any expenses incurred. It is quite extensive in coverage but has saved us many times. By-pass surgery, BC, were two events not planned for and it covered all. Check with your TA and see what any options might be to pick something up now.

We too always take out trip insurance. We use an independant insurance company instead of the insurance sold by the cruise lines. It's usually a bit cheaper.

We had never used it until a few years ago when our now daughter-in-law unexpectedly got deployed to Iraq.

We received every dime back from the insurance company including her airfare with no hassel at all. We simply emailed a copy of her deployment orders to the insurance company and we were sent a check immediately.

Absolutely would never cruise without it.

Actually, the definition of "pre-existing condition" varies according to each cruise line's policy. When I checked Silversea's policy 2 years ago, I believe that a condition was NOT considered "pre-existing" as long as it's been stable during the specified period (60 days prior to purchasing the policy?), with no major change in recent treatment.

It's always important to read the policy for all of its implications. On the plus side, it might include things like emergency medical evacuation, replacement for lost luggage, emergency cash transfer, legal aid. On the minus side, emergency medical evacuation might only be to the nearest facility, not necessarily to the city or facility of your choice. This could make a difference if you're visiting exotic, out-of-the-way locales. We've booked a month-long cruise on Crystal next year, and I'm going to take the step of comparing their policy vs. a private policy.

imo one should never buy travel insurance from the cruise line itself (just as one should not buy hotel rooms or transfers from them.) If something should go wring I want a completely impartial third party insurer to cover me.

Actually, the definition of "pre-existing condition" varies according to each cruise line's policy. When I checked Silversea's policy 2 years ago, I believe that a condition was NOT considered "pre-existing" as long as it's been stable during the specified period (60 days prior to purchasing the policy?), with no major change in recent treatment.

It's always important to read the policy for all of its implications. On the plus side, it might include things like emergency medical evacuation, replacement for lost luggage, emergency cash transfer, legal aid. On the minus side, emergency medical evacuation might only be to the nearest facility, not necessarily to the city or facility of your choice. This could make a difference if you're visiting exotic, out-of-the-way locales. We've booked a month-long cruise on Crystal next year, and I'm going to take the step of comparing their policy vs. a private policy.

Quite right! And even then some of the insurance companies are completely clueless. For example Amex amongst others clams that "raised cholesterol" is considered a reason to turn down a claim for any heart condition that results in a claim. Someone should tell them that raising HDL is very beneficial.:D

Some of the posters who claim they leave insurance to the last minute haven't returned to say why they do it, so we will not share in anything we can learn from their contrary arguments, but the key thing is that pre-existing condition or not every insurance company has a potentially clever let out clause which says that you must inform the company of any fact that is material to the cover, and this means any fact that might give cause to make a claim, and none will cover for any event that has already happened emanating from a normally covered pre-existing condition or not.

If there is a way not to pay a claim many will find a way not to. :)

imo one should never buy travel insurance from the cruise line itself (just as one should not buy hotel rooms or transfers from them.) If something should go wring I want a completely impartial third party insurer to cover me.

A TA will always offer the cruise line's trip insurance, but other options with other companies as well. And most trip insurance needs to be purchased at the time you make your deposit.

I too have heard of insurance companies refusing to cover anything heart related at all if the person had high blood pressure as it was a "pre existing condition". So you really have to check to find out what a particular company considers a pre existing condition.

I too have heard of insurance companies refusing to cover anything heart related at all if the person had high blood pressure as it was a "pre existing condition". So you really have to check to find out what a particular company considers a pre existing condition.

Yes, but sadly you need to know what questions to ask.

The daft thing about that approach is that people receiving treatment for hypertension are a better health risk than those average people that "don't know". A tip for some is if you have private health insurance cover is to check with the provider to see if they will extend the cover for travel. This means that whatever cover you have with that policy becomes the same for travel. No annual declarations and no exclusions. Although I have excellent travel cover I also have that extra cover - it is just reassuring to know that pretty much anything health related abroad is covered.

And just fyi, if you use the cruise line's insurance policy for medical expenses, you have to submit the claim to your primary/secondary insurers first. The cruise line's insurance company kicks in after that, and coverage addresses the remaining balance.

But I must say, I had to cancel a cruise for a medical reason (4 days before boarding!) and found the whole process to be very quick and easy. I received my trip cancellation refund in about a month.

Herman,

Travel insurance can be purchased anytime before departure, not when you make your deposit. However, if you want pre existing conditions covered usually it must be purchased within two weeks of deposit.

Archived