Fans of MSC

sayaguru

OK.

I noticed on another thread that there some diehard fans of MSC on here.

Before I went on my MSC cruise I researched and noticed some bad reports. I read them with interest but like to make up my own mind because everyone has different expectations.

Unfortunately I did have some problems but I can't help but wonder if I was just unlucky when I see the great reviews of other MSC ships. Maybe it was just that ship?

I always try to keep an open mind (after saying I'd never go on MSC again LOL). So please tell me what you love about MSC when comparing to other cruiselines.

No cruise line is perfect; we have sailed Carnival, Norwegian and MSC. MSC is by far the best value for families like ours. Our first cruise on Poesia we had an oceanview cabin for $1250 for our family of four. Our next trip we upgraded to a balcony for $1750. We are sailing Divina next Christmas in a balcony for $2200. Where can you beat a value like that? btw, these were all seven day cruises. Poesia was classy and clean. Divina is almost brand new, and from the photos looks to be quite nice. While MSC's customer service is experiencing growing pains, we have found them to be improving over the last two years. I guess a cruiser with more upscale experience could find fault with MSC, but for our family we really couldn't ask for more.

We simply love the ships with it's beautiful decor and "exotic" interior design, simply stunning. Combine the ships with the lovely international atmosphere onboard and the Italian way of organisation and the different crew nationalities and you have a perfect mix for us. It's so easy to make new friends onboard. And then you have the Yacht Club, a paradise haven :D

For me it's a number of things all combining to suit my own personal tastes. Here's a list off the top of my head:-

- multi lingual and cultural - learning European languages is a bit of a hobby, so I get to practise. I also find observing such a mix of cultures absolutely fascinating and occasionally hilarious. I like feeling like I'm overseas when I'm away, so not interested in a British line at all

- old world style service - I personally loathe the US style, as I find it too intrusive and fake friendly. I like that they don't interupt you to try to sell you a drink or whatever. Instead they stay out the way and only approach when you indicate you'd like to be served.

- the live music- especially the classical trios or quartets and opera singers, just love them

- the design and decor of the ship's- I find them classically beautiful with no neon Vegas anywhere to be seen (unlike those horrendous Farcus designs on Costa and Carnival)

- traditional fixed dining - I like having a late seating at a large table with the same people throughout the cruise. As a solo traveller don't fancy anytime dining. I like my evenings being structured around dinner and am perfectly happy if it lasts more than 2 hours.

- solo friendly- they almost never charge a single supplement on long repositioning cruises and frequently drastically reduce them on others, so cruising frequent in a high category cabin is doable.

- spa packages - really like the Aurea spa services and the packages you can book in advance are brilliant value and compare much better to other cruise lines and good hotels

- laid back atmosphere- there are some activities if you want them, but they don't organise you to death. It's my holiday and I'm the best person to decide how I want to spend it.

-very few announcements - I like to be left in peace to relax and don't want to hear announcements all day long. I read the Daily Programme and if I want to do something, then it's up to me to get myself there.

- I enjoy Italian food and drink (coffee and wine)

- no hard sell

-spotlessly clean ships

- good perks with the Loyalty Programme,particularly in the higher categories

Some of the things that I like are a turn off for others (e.g. Fixed dining, multiple languages, not enough organised activities). They are a good fit for me though.

They are far from perfect. Their website is a nightmare and needs to be completely overhauled. They are not particularly organised or punctual and getting detailed information can be a challenge. No different though from my experiences with Hotel Concierges in Italy.

I can't tell you why I like MSC because I haven't cruised with them yet - but I have three lined up in the next 10 months.

I have holidayed all over the world and enjoy parts of all the different cultures I've experienced. But Italy is mine and the husbands spiritual home. We are happiest there and want to retire there.

The first time I was in Venice in 2005 I saw an MSC ship sail out of Venice (our ferry sailed alongside it and I'd love to know which ship it was). I was impressed and thought "I'd love to do that someday" - and now I am. :-)

I have not read anything on these boards or reviews that has made me think I've made a bad choice in booking. I firmly believe we will be a good fit with MSC.

I've experienced some really bad holidays in my time (invasion of fire ants biting EVERY part of my body, food poisoning and husband with severe sunstroke - all in Cuba - that was an expensive and horrific two weeks) and I'm 100% sure that we won't have a cruise that bad.

We cruised with just about every line out there before MSC.

Not going to stop cruising with them, but...

MSC bought us with many things

- Absolutely beautiful ship. Design, especially decor. Modern, European, classy

- Entertainment. Due to MSC being multilingual line they could not have most of the other acts aside from production shows, and we love them a lot. We also love comedians, but they are hit or miss, and other shows we rarely attend. Tons of choices of smaller scale entertainment - 4-5 and more different lounges. Tenor was absolutely amazing... Italian duo... Great Stravinsky trio.

- Nice food. Not the best, but adequate.

- This is something that may be irrelevant to you. We do travel to Europe, but not very often, maybe once every couple of years. So sailing in Caribbeans with at least half of pax from Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Norway, UK, Italy, France and South America is a nice opportunity for us.

- Rooms are nice, lovely design.

- Nice service from everybody - steward, waiter, guest relationships etc.

However I will probably not book this line in Europe, because it is more popular line there, so ships will have more people on them... and honestly I do not think that for example Poesia is suited for 3500... :eek: We had maybe 2500, maybe less. With all due respect I do not think I will have good vacation with large Italian families (tons of kids!!! and they do not listen to the officers, I saw this on many occasions with RCCL, but there were less, as RCCL did not run kids-sailing-free program). I don't think kids sail free is a good program. Before you criticize me for saying this, we did sail with our kid before, and paid full fare.

For me it's a number of things all combining to suit my own personal tastes...

Have to agree with all the points, may be sub the solo rate and spa package with family-friendly rate and good itinerary choices.

They are definitely not perfect (none of the cruiselines I have been on is anyway), but the value is there. A pre-Christmas B2B East and West Caribbean cruise on Freedom of the Seas will cost us about $6000, and a better itinerary (to me) 14-day on MSC Divina at the same period only costs about $3500.

You get "Fans", "Cheerleaders" whatever on every line. You also get people who like to slam lines having never been on them. A fan of promenade decks comes to mind :rolleyes:

Anyway, before booking with MSC, I read the positive and negative reviews and decided to try it myself. It reminded me of my Princess cruise as far as the ship and food, but was far less expensive. We liked it so much, we're going back. I will express my opinion to others as a previous MSC cruiser. If that makes me a fan, so be it

I try not to slam others on here, but some get so ridiculous (ie slamming a line having never cruising on them because of some inane subjective "checklist," claiming food is "inedible," etc. will draw my attention and response.)

My favorite thing on MSC.....the cheesecake alone was reason enough to book the December cruise!

I don't see myself as a cheerleader and as you can see have traveled other cruise lines as well. For me, MSC is about excellent value. On a per person per night basis, our 3 MSC cruises have been the lowest price.

I am a person who doesn't need a lot of activities to be happy. We joke it's all about the "B's"....Balcony, Book, Beer and Beaches.

Will consider MSC again if the itinerary was right. We were very disappointed by the short port times on our last cruise. Leaving both Roatan and Falmouth in early afternoon wasn't fun. I honestly didn't check the times only the ports when I booked.

The two ships we were on were beautiful and I would have no problems booking them again. Beer and wine packages are the best value we have found on any cruise line.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback.

WOW Neptuno- great deals.

Moomoocow- would love to read your reviews.

Interesting that no-one has been on Magnifica. I was told by a staff member it had just changed area (from Brazil) and that was why there were communication problems.

I'm always browsing for cruises so maybe I might consider trying a different ship sometime. Too many cruises, too many ports, not enough holidays. I travel a lot but getting sick of all the orgaanising which is why I slipped in 2 cruises in our 6 week trip to Europe. Relaxing!!!

Might retire so I can go on the short notice cruises. Now some of those ARE cheap.

Happy cruising everyone.

Interesting that no-one has been on Magnifica. I was told by a staff member it had just changed area (from Brazil) and that was why there were communication problems.

I think I read somewhere Brazil is one of the countries that require a certain % of the crew members made up of local workers. But as the ship sails out of Brazilian waters, it should be staffed with a more experienced crew. :(

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback.

WOW Neptuno- great deals.

Moomoocow- would love to read your reviews.

I'm always browsing for cruises so maybe I might consider trying a different ship sometime. Too many cruises, too many ports, not enough holidays. I travel a lot but getting sick of all the orgaanising which is why I slipped in 2 cruises in our 6 week trip to Europe. Relaxing!!!

Might retire so I can go on the short notice cruises. Now some of those ARE cheap.

Happy cruising everyone.

Not sure about Magnifica. We have sailed only from South Florida. I didn't mean to sound so mercenary, but value is important for our family. Just a note about short notice cruising, the deals are even better when not sailing over school breaks. We have only sailed Thanksgiving weeks and Presidents' weeks(American, early Feb) up to now, and found that MSC has fewer children than Carnival which does not offer the Kids Sail Free discount. Now, Carnival would be our last choice for a cruise line, we just don't like the decor. But MSC, wow, nice Italian design, newer ships and very well kept. We are very much looking forward to Divina next Christmas.

From what I understand MSC & Costa have less kids sailing in NA only because they are less popular here, and it is expensive to fly large families overseas. I would't expect the same in Med.

I was on the Magnifica last June for a fascinating cruise up the Norwegian coast to the Svalbard islands. The itinerary, the ship and the crew made for an outstanding two week cruise.

To avoid having to share your cruise with dozens of kids running amok, try planning your itineraries outside the school holiday periods. Always avoid booking from mid June to mid September, the Christmas/New Years holidays, Easter/spring breaks, etc.

.... to avoid having to share your cruise with dozens of kids running amok, try planning your itineraries outside the school holiday periods. Always avoid booking from mid June to mid September, the Christmas/New Years holidays, Easter/spring breaks, etc.

Yes, good advice, but, so far we have not found too many other families on the Florida departures, even on school breaks, and honestly, the kids seemed fairly well behaved. But I understand your concerns. MSC is such a great value for families, those who prefer to sail without children would be better served by other lines, although at twice the price.

We like MSC pricing as we travel a family of 4, 2 kids that they were free prior than 3 years ago and now they are teenagers and we paid $159 each plus tax for each of the 7 days Northern Europe. Can't beat that price.

What did it for me was the price of the cruise & that was in 2011 my very first cruise after that i was hooked , although i lost a lot of money last May to the Fjords this year they seemed to have done the opposite, i booked last October for this Sept & it was under £600 for 10 nights & because i had been with them before got more money knocked off as well, i also like the itinerary going to a few places on the way rather than spending a few days at sea , i would love to go to Venice from Southampton on the Opera & back i would go with MSC before going on other cruise lines then :)

Archived