Wheelchair for Embark Venice - Debark Rome

gators70

We are considering a wheelchair for my DMIL. She only needs one for the times when there is a lot of walking. I don't really want to carry/check hers from the states to Europe so was hoping to rent one for the cruise duration. I'm having trouble finding a company that will provide one in Venice and pick up in Rome. Seems these ports aren't supported by the major mobility rental companies. Any ideas?

I've found it easier to simply bring a travel chair for my mother. Travel chairs are lighter weight, primarily because they don't have the large real wheels that allow for self-propulsion.

It's lightweight, folds up easily, and we wheel her right onto the plane, where they gate check it and give it back to us when we arrive. She needs it then, as some of the longest walks are between the plane and the street.

I bought it on-line several years ago for about $150 and we've used it all over Europe, the US and Canada.

The one time we tried rentals in Europe the available chairs were full sized, heavy wheelchairs. Much more than we needed and difficult to work with.

I've found it easier to simply bring a travel chair for my mother. Travel chairs are lighter weight, primarily because they don't have the large real wheels that allow for self-propulsion.

It's lightweight, folds up easily, and we wheel her right onto the plane, where they gate check it and give it back to us when we arrive. She needs it then, as some of the longest walks are between the plane and the street.

I bought it on-line several years ago for about $150 and we've used it all over Europe, the US and Canada.

The one time we tried rentals in Europe the available chairs were full sized, heavy wheelchairs. Much more than we needed and difficult to work with.

Thanks Euro Cruiser. We own a travel chair and will take it if we can't rent one. I am inherently lazy and don't want to have to check it (even ramp check) if I don't have to. :rolleyes:

Probably should have my TA asking Princess.

Will have to ask my MIL as she has rented a scooter for the ship but the company she is using also rents wheelchairs. We are doing the opposite and getting on in Rome and off in Venice. Will check with her and report back.

I find so many benefits to the chair that the gate check doesn't bother me at all. With her in the chair I can move about the airport at my pace, not hers. I can hang my carry on off the handles and not worry about where she is or what she's doing while I collect the luggage, etc.

I find so many benefits to the chair that the gate check doesn't bother me at all. With her in the chair I can move about the airport at my pace, not hers. I can hang my carry on off the handles and not worry about where she is or what she's doing while I collect the luggage, etc.

Euro cruiser,

I'm glad that works for you.:)

My parents used a company called Special Needs at sea. Granted it was from Miami to Los Angeles but I would see if they do offer service outside the US.

Thanks baseball Fan, but Special Need at Sea not service Venice nor Rome.

Archived