Kona/Kuaui rental car questions

ladybugk04

Hi! Has anyone rented a car/or know about renting a car in Kona/Kuaui. I have rented cars on the other islands but I need to know if there is a shuttle from these two ports to the rental car locations and if so what rental car company is it?

Thanks in advance!:)

We didn't rent a car in Kona. We rented with Thrifty on Kauai. We did a one day rental. The shuttle picked us up right at the pier and took us straight to the airport- which wasn't too far away. We were able to quickly get a shuttle back from the rental company when we returned the car later that night.

I don't remember seeing any car rental shuttles when we docked in Kona. Most everybody that did rent a car went through the rental agency at the King Kam Hotel right by the dock. I apologize that I can't remember which company, I think it might have been Thrifty. Someone else will fill that blank in I am sure.

As to Kauai,all of the rental companies had shuttles waiting at the port when we docked and the shuttles ran every 30 minutes (or less). The ones I remember seeing were Avis, Budget, Thrifty, Enterprise, Alamo, Dollar and I think National.

Hi! Has anyone rented a car/or know about renting a car in Kona/Kuaui. I have rented cars on the other islands but I need to know if there is a shuttle from these two ports to the rental car locations and if so what rental car company is it?

Thanks in advance!:)

We did not end up renting in Kona--cancelled reservation we had with Enterprise. Used Enterprise on Kauai. Speedy shuttle there.

Go on Enterprise website and search for Kona. Call the phone number for that location and they can answer your shuttle questions.

I have rented several times in both locations. In Kona at the King Kam hotel- Dollar/Thrifty.

Out of Kauai also with Thrifty using a 2 day rental. Parking is $20 with a short shuttle transit back and forth to the ship.

Do NOT rent a car through Alamo. We did so on our May 4th cruise. When we made the reservation we were told there would be a shuttle to transport us to the airport. That was not true. When we arrived at the pier, there was no shuttle. When I called they said they no longer ran a shuttle. The only way we could get to the airport to get our car was to take a taxi. That was $35 each way. If we had know that, we would have booked through another company where we could pick the car up at the hotel at the end of the pier. We rented through Dollar on Kauai and in Hilo and were very pleased with their service & car. In Hilo they upgraded us to a convertible for $10. That was really a great way to see the island. We then rented a convertible on Kauai and enjoyed it very much.

We've booked vans or cars at all ports except Kona through Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. I just contacted them via email at first as we need 2 vans or cars at each port, then emailed the details and everything was booked. We've booked for both days on Kauai even though it's an early departure as we feel there's still plenty of time to see more, and a group will need one of our vans to get them kayaking early in the morning. I our case when the cost is being shared between 10 people it becomes very cost effective to hire. From what I've read hiring at Kona is more expensive if using the company near the tender point and the airport is a long way out to pick up other rentals.

I agree that Discount Hawaii is a good company to use for rentals. We use them for renting cars on our land trips to Hawaii, and our daughter used them for her POA cruise.

Re Kona ... it would be worth spending the extra money to get the rental at the King Kam hotel, unless the shuttle will take everyone in your group, and after picking up your rental at the airport, your plan is to continue heading north (e.g. to the Kohala coast).

• 2 weeks later...

On April 16th we rented from Alamo in Kauai, and there was a shuttle to take us to the rental car office and back to the ship. The driver on the return trip was very friendly and talkative which was nice at end of a long day. We would highly recommend Alamo for all of the islands.

I wonder why they didn't offer a shuttle the day you were there.

On April 16th we rented from Alamo in Kauai, and there was a shuttle to take us to the rental car office and back to the ship. The driver on the return trip was very friendly and talkative which was nice at end of a long day. We would highly recommend Alamo for all of the islands.

I wonder why they didn't offer a shuttle the day you were there.

Happy 7 didn't specify - but the problem they had was most likely in Kona. Dollar the the King K -- is the only way to go there :)

The airport in Kauai is very close to the pier.

Archived