Nativeway is GREAT!!

Can someone tell me how difficult it is getting back into Native Way's boat? How far does the ladder extend down into the water? I have really bad arthritis, but love to snorkel. Thanks for any help.

hmmm shaco... i didn't really notice how far into the water the ladder extends on their boats. to the best of my recollection there are 3 steps on the ladder down in to the water. i dont remember seeing anyone have a tough time getting into the water or getting back on to the boat. perhaps you could email nativeway directly and ask them specifically.

mike -

i just hope that after all of this, you have a great time with nativeway. i would hate to have recommended something to someone and have them have a bad experience with it. just let me know if you have any other questions about nativeway or your cruise itinerary in general.

thanks for the compliments on the pics. i developed my underwater camera pics from stingray city and they actually came out fantastic. i got some great pics of the stingrays. one day i'll get around to putting those negatives on a cd and putting the pictures up somewhere.

Shaco, one of our party is mobility impaired but likes to snorkel. He requires a ladder which extends several steps into the water and some assistance in getting in/out of the water. When we were coming back to Grand Cayman, we were interested in using Nativeway based on the positive reviews it had received from posters. I contacted Sharon via email and obtained information about the boat and whether they would be willing to provide assistance. They were very nice and were willing to provide assistance. It was the information about the boat that caused us to book elsewhere.

What I found out was Nativeway has several boats. The "big" boat does have a ladder that extends several steps into the water, but the smaller boat(s) do(es) not (I am not sure of the total number of boats they have). I was concerned whether we would be able to get the big boat, as I had read reviews from posters that when they went snorkeling with Nativeway the big boat was chartered by a large group or was filled with other snorkelers and they were directed to the smaller boat. I asked Sharon if, under the circumstances, she could guarantee that we would get the big boat. She indicated that she could not, as it was possible that the big boat might be taken by a large group or might be full when we arrived for our trip. She suggested that we try Captain Marvin's, as all of his boats have the ladders which extend several steps into the water.

I did contact Capt. Marvin's and we have since gone on two snorkeling trips with him. His boats do have ladders which are wide and which go several steps into the water. His crew is also very willing to help all passengers, including mobility impaired persons. There is also a videographer onboard the longer excursion and you can request one for the shorter excursion.

In addition, if you are interested in a land tour as well as snorkeling, they now offer a land tour and a glassbottom boat non-snorkeling trip as well. We have not taken the land tour through Capt. Marvins as we have taken land tours of Grand Cayman in the past, so I cannot address those.

joyce...

the rum cake factory is actually right next door to the turtle farm. we were given a 10 minute walking tour of the turtle farm and then given like 20 minutes to wander on our own. we could have walked over to the rum cake factory at that point, but no one in our group was really that interested so we didnt do it. but if you wanted to do it, there would be enough time to do so.

Unfortunately, Captain Marvin's also has smaller boats that have much more difficult accessibility. The first time we were on Captain Marvin's, the boat was large, and did have a ladder that extended into the water. However, last June, they put us on a smaller boat. You had to be able to get your leg very high to reach the first rung on the ladder. That's why I thought I'd find out about Native Way. Looks like I'm out of luck.

Shaco

Shaco, that really surprises me about Capt. Marvin's. I didn't realize that was the case. Our disabled party could never have gotten back on the boat with a ladder like that. (It is hard enough for me and I have no excuses). So I really sympathize with the situation you were in. I also really appreciate your letting me know this.

When I first made the email inquiry with Capt. Marvin's, I talked with Ruth who is in Capt. Marvin's office. Since that time on all of our other excursions we booked, I have emailed Ruth and talked to her to tell her we were coming, before making the reservation through the booking system. (Although in the comments, I note the fact of the party who is mobility impaired, per Ruth's direction.) In addition, although they don't usually do pick-up service to/from the pier (but only from their office, which is a short distance from the pier), they have done that for our disabled party. I wonder if we always were put on the big boat because they knew one of our party had a mobility impairment?

It also surprises me because the boat ladder accessibility was the very reason Sharon had originally referred me to Capt. Marvins. Plus I was under the impression that the big Nativeway boat gets chartered quite frequently, so Sharon didn't feel like she could make the guarantee from a business prospective (which is quite understandable.) Perhaps since your experience occurred in June, Capt. Marvin's getting the smaller boats was more recent than the referral.

We have a booking with Capt. Marvin's for November and I am going to contact Ruth and find out whether we can be guaranteed to be on a big boat with the ladders which go several steps into the water. I really feel that as much accommodation that they have made in the past, this will be possible. I suggest that you might do the same, but definitely talk with Ruth if you do so.

• 2 weeks later...
My group of 16 just returned from a seven day cruise on Caribbean Princess. While in Grand Cayman we took our tour with NativeWay. EVERYTHING was WONDERFUL!!! Eldon met us at the dock and picked us up and drove us to his boat. He and Alan/Allen (whichever it is spelled) took us to Singray Sandbar---which was fantastic! Alan brought the stingrays right up for us to greet! Followed by snorkeling on the reef. I can't even swim but was able to snorkel with their equipment---it was beautiful. They treated us like royalty, provided cold drinks, bathroom, showers, and we had a wonderful time. Afterwards we extended our visit with an island highlights tour...also with Nativeway. We visited the Rum Factory, Turtle Farm, Hell and saw many other interesting sites along the way. I HIGHLY recommend NATIVEWAY for any future visitors to Grand :) Cayman!!

I would also recommend Native Way for Grand Cayman. My husband and I did the Island Tour in the morning, and the Stingray/Snorkeling tour in the afternoon. I gotta say, I was a little disappointed in the Island Tour. 12 of us were in a small, hot, van, and driven around the city. It was cramped and uncomfortable, but aside from that, the stops made for an interesting tour. We first stopped at Seven Mile Beach for some beautiful pictures.

Then on to the Turtle Farm. I'm not a big fan of places like this. I've never considered myself an animal rights activist, but when I saw kids holding turtles by their fins, or carelessly dropping them into the water, I was a bit annoyed.

After that, we went to the Tortuga store/bakery. A tip--this is the best place we found to buy our liquor. For example, a liter of Absolut is $9.00 on the ship, but only $8.15 at Tortuga. Plus, they have a much better selection than the ship. We didn't do much comparison shopping in Jamaica, but I know it was cheaper than Cozumel's duty free store. They provide the shipping boxes just like the ship, and they deliver it to the ship for you, so you don't have to carry it around. We also picked up a tasty rum cake.

Then, we went to Hell, which honestly wasn't much to see. But its interesting enough, and makes for an interesting postcard.

After the Island Tour, we were dropped off at the boat for the Stingray/Snorkel Tour. This was awesome! Eldon and Alan were fantastic--they were friendly, informative, and made sure everyone got involved! Highly recommend this tour! There were only 15-20 of us on the boat, and we were treated fabulously, whereas other tours were unloading what seemed like 100 people into the water like cattle.

Overall, I would highly recommend Native Way for anything you plan in Grand Cayman. However, if you are pressed for time, I would suggest skipping the Island Tour, and making sure not to miss the Stingray/Snorkel Tour.

[b][size=4][color=#000099]I suggest a phone call to make your reservation -- 1-345-946-8656. It took under two minutes. Given my conversation with Sharon, I don't think she was aware that her emails are not coming through. However, she had my email and reservation. I am willing to give them a chance in light of the wonderful reviews. [/color][/size][/b]

Archived