5/22-6/1 Alaska Cruise (Radiance) & Land Tour, LOTS of Photos (L.J. & Bev Part II/I)

WalleyeLJ

Subscribing! We'll be in Vancouver 4 weeks from Thursday, departing on the Radiance and finishing up with 4 nights at Denali! Very excited to see this review (read your other one Thursday night for MANY hours) going in the same direction! Thanks

Fantastic - hae a wonderful trip. 4 days in Denali sounds awesome! Our general goal for 2015 (L.J. & Bev Part III) is to split our two weeks between the Kenai and Denali end of August/beginning of September.

L.J.

Having covered the waterfront area and the sports stadiums, we began making our way through midtown back towards the Space Needle and ultimately Lake Union. The whole way our Duck kept rockin' between history and info from our guide and the karaoke jams. We had plenty of time for singing as we went thanks to a wee bit of traffic:

IMG_8284_zps34c85669.jpg

One of the things I found most enjoyable on our tour was that our guide discussed the prevalence of Starbucks around Seattle. She said that since Starbucks was so important to the Seattle economy, every time was saw a Starbucks - or anything related to it, that we were supposed to yell out "Cha-ching!!!" Well let me tell you - I LOVE following the rules, so I (and most everyone else on board) kept and eye out andd yelled "Cha-ching!" every chance we got. Here was one of the many sights that instigated such vocal outbursts.

Like They Need to Advertise...

IMG_8285_zps21b3f018.jpg

Clearing the north end of downtown, we crossed over a bridge and saw that we were getting closer to the duck portion of our tour...blue water, blue skies and snowy mountains - I love Seattle!

IMG_8300_zps47d95269.jpg

As we made our way to the boat launch area, our guide started the Gilligan's Island theme song, hich was a hoot. When we got there, it was funny to see the looks on the faces of the folks at the boat launch as we drove face first into the water. Our guide asked us if we want to go in fast or slow and everyone shouted "Fast!", so she said..."slow it is...". She also reminded us to make sure we were familiar with those emergency exits in case things didn't go well

On final approach for our water landing. Much less stressed about this one than if was in a plane...

IMG_8310_zps51a268ed.jpg

The little ones on board LOVED going in the water - check out that smile!

IMG_8313_zpsed0e1e7f.jpg

Our glimpse of the famous Seattle skyline from the water

IMG_8321_zps2d841470.jpg

L.J.

The weather continued to stay comfortable, even on the water. There was a good amount of activity on the lake, as well as a shore side park called Gas Works Park that was packed people enjoying the early evening sunshine, flying kites, picnicking, etc. One of the very cool things about the Lake Union are all the houseboats that it's famous for. They were all over the lake, including the one which was used as the location shoot for Tom' Hanks' character in "Sleepless in Seattle". We couldn't get quite close enough for a good photo, but here are some shots of life on the water, including some other houseboat homes.

I'd HATE to have to parallel park one of those when I got home...

IMG_8330_zpsc3f579a8.jpg

Would you still consider this "waterfront" property, or would you call it something else?

IMG_8334_zps8d407045.jpg

Livin' La Vida Loca...

IMG_8331_zpsf14861f8.jpg

Makes me want to take up sailing...and move to Seattle

IMG_8368_zps5f124340.jpg

The world famous Seattle skyline - what a view!

IMG_8348_zps6246a233.jpg

A closer shot of downtown. With all those construction cranes it reminds me of Washington, D.C. - but with much taller buildings!

IMG_8349_zps253446ad.jpg

Our tour almost complete, we made our way back towards the boat launch and dry land...

L.J.

As you can see, we had a wonderful time on our Duck Tour of Seattle. I've seen them in many cities but I'd never been on one before. This one set the bar very high. If would absolutely recommend taking one of these tours while you're visiting Seattle if you've got the time. It was much interesting than a traditional bus tour because it was upbeat, fun, the windows opened wide, and you get to float your Duck Boat!

IMG_8386_zps778620f0.jpg

If you thought the parallel parking in the last post was a challenge - check this out! Stack'em, pack'em and rack'em...

IMG_8406_zpsabfa2cb9.jpg

A close up look at one of the smaller houseboats right near the boat launch. Maybe it's still for sale...

IMG_8409_zps51f07ccc.jpg

We made our way back to the Duck Boat office, wrapping up right around 7pm, but with one more mission for the day. We hopped off the Duck, hailed a taxi, and made our way to Queen Anne Park on top of the Queen Anne district NNW of downtown Seattle. I was looking for places to get an overlook view of the city, and thanks to some online research, I found that this is one of if not the best places to do that. It's a very small little park nestled into a residential neighborhood, but I was thankful that they had preserved the space for everyone to be able to enjoy the views. With the setting sun on the Space Needle, downtown Seattle, and Mt. Rainier as a backdrop, it was a wonderful way to end a long but thoroughly enjoyable first day in Seattle.

A wide angle view from Queen Anne Park of Seattle

IMG_8416_zpsf827d6e8.jpg

No, this seaplane did not fly into the Space Needle - but it sure looked like it was going to for a minute a few seconds before I took the shot!

IMG_8438_zpsd4b7a234.jpg

Post Card Perfect...

IMG_8441-b_zps0935e52a.jpg

Our touring done, we hopped back in the taxi and made our way to the REI super store. As Bev said, I think we could have lived there. It was huge, with multiple levels and an endless array of gear, clothing, and displays. By this point we were famished, so we left the REI store and walked a couple blocks to Mad Pizza. The pizza was very good and service was quick, which was great since our big first day was catching up with us. A short walk back to the hotel, we repacked to get ready for our early morning departure via train for Vancouver and Radiance. We tumbled into bed that night exhausted but thrilled with our fantastic introduction to Seattle, ready to see what we'd see and experience the next day...

L.J.

Ahhh...You're username seemed familiar, and I couldn't remember if it was from my last review of our Roll Call boar dlast summer. How was the August weather for you all?

L.J.

The weather was fantastic! We had a light drizzle in Juneau but the remainder of our cruise was beautiful. The weather in Ketchikan was picture perfect as DW described it. It was sunny! Yes, I said sunny! :D I should have packed shorts! :p

Thanks for that I am going to not sleep LOL I am also going to try to do some shooting by holding my momo pod in the air and taking the pictures with my remote We will see Less than a month to go..

Now I have to decide if I am going to take the new Canon 1 d x with me or not

thanks again

The next morning we were up bright and early - 5:30am (we don't normally get up at 5:30am back in the world). We grabbed breakfast inn the hotel lobby and caught a ride to the Amtrak station. We arrived to find ourselves 10th in line. Upon a few seconds of chatting it turned out to be several CC members that I'd "met" online on our roll call board - very cool! I went to get tickets while Bev watched the bags. One of the things we found interesting was how much more lax security was riding the train. All we needed to do to board the train was present our ticket. No one looked in/at our carryon bags, or us for that matter. We could have smuggled a family of yellow wooly red-banded leaping lemurs into Canada and no one would have been the wiser! That said, nothing weird happened on the ride, so I guess all was well. Anyhow, now settled into our comfy seats on the left/water side of the train, we prepared to invade Canada... (note: some of the photos won't be so great, between the sometimes dirty windows and the moving train, but hopefully they'll give you a decent sense of place)

The Dynamic Duo Heading Off to Canada Eh!?

1_1243050840_on-the-train-to-vancouver_zpsf0130a18.jpg

For those that ponder the choices between Seattle and Vancouver, and how to get between the two, we can't recommend the train highly enough. There is a ton of legroom compared to an airplane, you can get up and walk around whenever you want, and there's even a service car with food and beverage and a place to hang out, play cards, or just watch the scenery go by.

Riding the train is like having First Class for everyone!

IMG_8539_zps3d0aae9a.jpg

Checking out the service car - treats for all (ok, not really, but it's nice to have options, especially if you didn't get a chance to eat before boarding the train.)

IMG_8482_zps7e83dda1.jpg

We knew the train ride would be scenic, but it was still an amazing experience, at least to us. The first part of the trip ran pretty close to the coast to begin with. Dark green forests to the right, and out our side of the train, wonderful views of Puget Sound and the waters north of Seattle, snow-capped mountains framing the distant horizon. Watching the placid waters of the Sound, the boats, large and small, fishing and freighters, making their way to parts unknown. Along the way, we passed small towns, factories, and waterfront homes tucked into tiny coves.

Bev enjoying the water's edge views

IMG_8451_zps0116a292.jpg

One of those many boats heading to parts unknown...

IMG_8450_zpsb528cad9.jpg

Roll tide roll...

IMG_8522_zps3413f2a4.jpg

Next up - we roll on into farm country...

L.J.

Thanks for that I am going to not sleep LOL I am also going to try to do some shooting by holding my momo pod in the air and taking the pictures with my remote We will see Less than a month to go..

Now I have to decide if I am going to take the new Canon 1 d x with me or not

thanks again

JD,

I'm with you - I really only slept about 3 hours a night our first Alaska cruise. The 1Dx wwill be great for landscapes. As long as you've got an APS-C sensor camera for the crop factor for extra reach for wilddlife, you'll pretty muh have all your bases covered!

L.J.

We have never been to Seattle. I am trying to make a list of hotels.

Can you give me the address of this Marriott Springhill Suites Downtown as there are a few hotels and I don't know which one is the one you stayed at.

Book a hotel that offers shuttle service, not all do.

JD,

I'm with you - I really only slept about 3 hours a night our first Alaska cruise. The 1Dx wwill be great for landscapes. As long as you've got an APS-C sensor camera for the crop factor for extra reach for wilddlife, you'll pretty muh have all your bases covered!

L.J.

We just came back from our 4th cruise to Alaska and I still couldn't sleep. I kept jumping up and looking out so I wouldn't miss anything good. At least it was dark a few hours a night when we were there. Otherwise I don't know what would have happened. LOL! That is really one of the best things about an Alaska cruise. You are often near land with beautiful things to see. In the Caribbean it is just water and more water. We are in serious Alaska withdrawl right now. I'm not sure if this thread is helping me to relive it or making me depressed I am not there again right now! :D:(:D:(

After a good long stretch running tight along the coastline, we came into a section that meandered back and forth between the water and a ways inland. While I had of course heard of Washington State apples, I never really thought about farm land along our coastal route. There were, however, many farms large and small that we encountered along our route. Similar to the piedmont region in upstate Vermont between the Green Mountains and Lake Champlain where Burlington sits, the farming areas we passed through were similar - the Cascade Range to the east, the farmland flats, and then the coastline. The area was very lush, green everywhere, and pockets of cows, sheep, etc as we went along. We even caught a brief glimpse of a deer in one of the little pocket meadows. As the Pacific Northwest is famous for it's timer industry, we saw plenty of log yards and saw mills along the way too. It's fascinating to see hundreds and thousands of logs piled up awaiting processing or shipping. In addition to being scenic, the landscape was ever changing, which made for an enjoyable and seemingly quick ride.

Washington Farm, snow covered Olympic Range in the distance

IMG_8510_zps65e052c2.jpg

One of several timber yards we passed en route to Vancouver, "The Claw" hard at work...

IMG_8492_zps39832eab.jpg

After a while we ended up running tight along the coastline for a bit. Bev spotted the first Bald Eagle on the beach, then we saw another, then bunches. At one point we saw close to a dozen hanging out, but juveniles and mature birds. We hadn't left Washington State yet, and I'd already seen more Bald Eagles than I thought I might the whole trip! A short bit after that, we came across a huge tidal flat that stretched for several miles. It was cool to see the folks walking way out on the flats. It must have had a pretty sandy base or would have thought they all would have needed hip waders...

A mature Bald Eagle prepares to alight on a shoreline...

IMG_8551-b_zpscd9871a0.jpg

Coastal Washington Dog Park!

IMG_8542_zps2459d714.jpg

Hittin' the beach - Pacific NW Style...

IMG_8543_zps1c0acf48.jpg

At last, after lots of small towns, farms and family homes, Vancouver appeared in the distance. We actually saw it a few minutes before this but the photos were a mess. The only down side was that just as the excitement started to build that we were almost ready to get off and head to the ship, the train slowed to a crawl on the final 10-15 minutes of its approach to the station. We were right on schedule, or even a few minutes early, but those final few were killer!

Vancouver here we come!

IMG_8579_zps0e70818d.jpg

We got off the train, collected our bags, passed through customs without any issues and headed out to get a taxi. That turned out to be the most difficult part of the entire trip! Tons of people arriving on the train, less than a handful of taxis - then nothing...and we waited...and we waited...and we waited...

One taxi here, one there...we probably waited a half hour before we finally got one. Then - it was, I swear, one of those clown cars you'd see in a circus. Bev & I looked at the cab, looked at our 4 large suitcases and assorted carryon's (yes, I know there are people who go to Alaska for two weeks with a single carry on - we are NOT those people, so the one thing folks won't get from me here are any good space saving packing tips). So, totally confused how this is going to work - there really wasn't enough room, I watch the driver load three of the bags in the little truck space - and no lie - pulls out a series of bungee cords to create a makeshift cargo net to keep our bags from falling out. I SO wish I took a picture of it. He then shoved the last big bag in the front passenger seat, and off like a shot we go for the ship - and I mean like a shot - as in pedal to the metal, no brakes, no stopping for stop signs, red lights, or as Bev noted in her travel blog - little old ladies crossing the street. We HAD to have made it in record time form the train station to the Ballantyne Pier. While I was certainly surprised at the wait we had at the train station due to the lack of taxi cabs, I certainly think they need to work out a better, safer system for getting enough rides staged up there than having drivers that treat the streets of Vancouver like it an Summer X Games rally car course. That said - we DID make it there in one piece - with ALL our luggage - just in time to hit the boarding peak with 2,000 of our new best friends!

L.J.

Do you remember the cost for the Space Needle and the Duck tour?

crusin,

When we went the cost to go up on the Needle was $16, but the site says the cost is now $19pp. For the Ducks, I think it was $26, + $2 for the Duck Quacker (whistle that makes a "quack" sound instead of a whistle - what can I say - sometimes I like to be a kid again). Current pricing is $28/$30 for the Ducks of Seattle.

L.J.

Edited by WalleyeLJ
Spelling error

We just came back from our 4th cruise to Alaska and I still couldn't sleep. I kept jumping up and looking out so I wouldn't miss anything good. At least it was dark a few hours a night when we were there. Otherwise I don't know what would have happened. LOL! That is really one of the best things about an Alaska cruise. You are often near land with beautiful things to see. In the Caribbean it is just water and more water. We are in serious Alaska withdrawl right now. I'm not sure if this thread is helping me to relive it or making me depressed I am not there again right now! :D:(

LMZ - I know what you mean - doing these reviews is a love/hate event for me:mad::D! I love reliving the trip - I HATE that we won't be going back until at least 2015... I also agree on the Caribbean cruises. We really enjoy them, but I've never had an interest in doing a post trip review like these for Alaska. I think it's because for so many people, Alaska is a one time, or at least infrequent visit for the most part, so there's more mystery and more questions about it than Carib trips. It's SO much more fun to talk about best places to go see wild bears and whales than it is to discuss which all inclusive resort has the best day pass:p:D - but that's just me.

L.J.

Thank you so much for continuing to post this wonderful review of your first cruise and land trip to Alaska! I can feel your excitement being relived. There's nothing that compares to a first trip to Alaska....it captures your heart and soul like you never imagined.

THanks again Now we have to lug another lenses I am going to rent the Sigma 50 to 500 I think I also have a canon 100 to 400 This is going to be fun at the airport Hope the guy with the rubber glove is nice

THanks again Now we have to lug another lenses I am going to rent the Sigma 50 to 500 I think I also have a canon 100 to 400 This is going to be fun at the airport Hope the guy with the rubber glove is nice

JD,

Just my two cents, but go with the 100-400 or the 50-500, but not both. That's way too much glass to carry without the return for the hassle. If you take the 400 and "need" 500mm, you can just crop in a bit from the edges, and you'll have plenty of pixels to work with. The Sigma will also be a half stop slower at 500mm - f/6.3 versus f/5.6 on the Canon. Between my 11-16mm, 18-200mm, 70-200 (for speed and sharpness) and the 150-500mm, I couldn't imagine carrying another monster lens - but good luck if you do!

L.J.

Our first look at Radiance, patiently waiting for us all to board and take us North to Alaska! I don't know how many days Vancouver gets like this, but it sure seemed like our good luck with weather was following us from Seattle!

Our first look at Radiance!

1_1243050840_there-she-isx_zpsbd537bae.jpg

We grabbed our bags, dropped them off at the baggage check in bins, and headed inside to traverse security and check in. The line was LONG - we've gotten into the habit of arriving very early for check in, so we hadn't been in a check in line this long since our first cruise. It moved pretty well, and we were in good spirits - until we cleared security. That line was even longer! Oh well - it was vacation, so how bad could it be? Bev reminded me that since this was our 5th cruise with RCI, next time we'd be Platinum as we'd be able to check in using the short lines! (Note: If you show up as early as we normally do, this doesn't help a whole lot as every cruise since the priority check in line hasn't been any shorter than the rest of them!). Finally it was our turn, and the adrenaline started pumping again as we rode the escalator up, went through one more passport/ID check, and boarded the ship!

The Security Check In - aka Line 1

1_1243050840_security_zps20cabcaa.jpg

The Sea Pass Check In line - aka the Giant Serpentine

1_1243050840_security_zps20cabcaa.jpg

This was our first time on a ship the size of the Radiance class, but we loved it right away. There really is a lot of glass and windows and many views to enjoy. We found the Windjammer and grabbed a quick lunch. It was now a little bit after 1pm, so the rooms were ready and went to check it out and drop off our carry-on bags. We really liked the set up of the room - it was a nice use of space, and there was a lot of storage for all the stuff we brought. That was key as we weren't going to spend a lot of time in the room, but it did want to be able to navigate it safely when we were in there!

A look at our first Radiance class inside cabin

IMG_8600_zps9af2bb8b.jpg

Now settled into the room, we headed off to check out the Spa and booked a massage and our passes to the Thermal Suite, figuring we would really be able to use it this week. Before we knew it, we were grabbing our life vests and heading out on deck for the Muster Drill. I pointed out to Bev that the life vests would be a little less useful in the chilly waters of the Inside Passage and Alaska...

My "This water is COLD" face...

20090522_Green_0060-b-1_zpsfed95914.jpg

...but I DID think it would have great if they had issued us those bright red coldwater survival suits - I can rock red! It was very crowded once everyone lined up, but again everyone was in good cheer - even me!

Orange not red, no suit, but it does come with that snazzy water activated rescue light!

20090522_Green_0058-b-1_zpsbc4b1b2d.jpg

Once the Muster Drill was over, Bev went to take a quick nap, and I went to get the haircut I didn't get before we left home.

L.J.

Since you have done both the North and South bound, which was easier regarding flying back to the East Coast when the ship docked?

Hey Irishgal432,

Southbound for sure. I know there are many people who say going northbound is better because it gets prettier as you go, but I ddon't necesssarily agree. When we flew home from Anchorage, we had to leave Anchorage at 1:30am and arrive home at 6:30pm ET, roughly 15 hours clock time, 12 hours actual travel time. When we flew home from Seattle, it was 4 hours non-stop, 7 hours of clock time. Obviously airlines and specific cities and multi-layover versus non-stop can change things a lot, but in most cases in should be a much quicker flight home, which was welcome after two exciting but tiring weeks in Alaska!

L.J.

After my trip to the hair salon (no barber shop on board), I roamed around the ship for a bit, getting a familiar with the ship and taking in the sights of downtown Vancouver and the surrounding area. I was tired too, but it was just too nice out to not spend as much time outside as possible. It was cool to see just how busy the area was, between the shipping & freight movement, boats, float planes, etc. Plus, I just never get tired of being in shirt sleeves while looking at snow-capped mountains!

Lots of folks out checking out Deck 11 and the surrounding views

IMG_8656_zpsbb4f6ffe.jpg

Eastern Vancouver & a VERY large shipping crane

IMG_8631_zps97cfe810.jpg

North Vancouver across the bay

IMG_8624_zpsfbc0a505.jpg

Float plane #2 - and it was only the beginning...

IMG_8646_zpsd6d6916f.jpg

Between where we were docked at the Ballentyne Pier & Canada Place where most of the other cruise ships dock, there was a large shipping and receiving port area which was crazy busy. Lots of activity and THOUSANDS of shipping containers - it was a sight to see!

Another giant crane structure

IMG_8658_zpsb032ea55.jpg

The busy docks area with downtown Vancouver in the background

IMG_8650_zps2b58bea2.jpg

We were sue to depart shortly, so I headed back down to wake Bev so we could be up top for sail away. It turns out that we had plenty of time - we left an hour or so late due to some issues with late luggage or late passengers (or both) . In any case, it was beautiful out so we didn't mind the wait and I'm sure the passengers affected were happiest of all!

L.J.

We were finally underway, and enjoying every minute of it. After her nap, Bev was refreshed and ready to take on the world!

IMG_8671_zps41c209cf.jpg

The happy couple leaving Vancouver and headed North to Alaska!

IMG_8677_zpsa64aaae2.jpg

One of the regrets we have after two pass throughs of Vancouver is not having the chance to visit Stanly Park yet (or the rest of the city). I understand that it's a great bike ride, but it'll have to wait for a future visit. Nonetheless, it was beautiful viewed from the ship with the Vancouver skyline behind it.

Brockton Point Lighthouse, Stanley Park

IMG_8690_zps797e3204.jpg

Brockton Point Lighthouse , Canada Place in the background (the other cruise terminal area)

IMG_8698-b-1_zps2b8e856e.jpg

A last view of downtown Vancouver before it slipped behind Stanly Park...

IMG_8692_zpsb5cca362.jpg

Vancouver now slipping away behind us, Lions Gate Bridge loomed in front of us...

L.J.

Lions Gate Bridge is an impressive sight to behold, especially when sailing under it on a rather large cruise ship. Originally opened in 1938 after years of debate, the bridge now spans 5,980 feet long, with a clearance of 200 feet for ships. I never really pondered how tall a cruise ship until we were preparing to pass under it, but we obviously were less than 200 feet tall! While the official name of the bridge is the First Narrows Bridge, it's called Lions Gate because traffic headed north from Vancouver faces two mountain peaks known locally as "The Lions". I've had people ask before for some shots of the bridge, so here's a sequence approaching, passing underneath, and then continuing on afterwards...

Traversing Lions Gate...

IMG_8707_zps2b7d2ffd.jpg

IMG_8708_zpsbfccd3cd.jpg

IMG_8709_zpse97f6c6e.jpg

IMG_8711_zps966c6759.jpg

IMG_8714_zps28618d54.jpg

L.J.