Belize Shore Excursion

oceanxbreeze89

Hi! My sister and I are going to be sailing on the Carnival Liberty in August. We were originally going to take Coral Breeze for our excursion (the snorkeling/manatee watch/bannister island tour) but because it is low season, they are not using that tour for the summer. I then looked at the "Barrier Reef Snorkel with Beach Break" through carnival and booked that because it looked like a similar tour. Has anyone done this tour before??

Tour discription:

"Travel by Catamaran to the largest Barrier Reef in the Western Hemisphere where you will snorkel amongst the corals surrounded by colorful tropical fish.

Cut right through the turquoise blue waters of Belize aboard a 65-foot high-speed custom-built catamaran en route to your snorkeling excursion.

On this excursion you will:

Receive professional instruction on how to snorkel.

Be accompanied by your crew into water for snorkeling.

Have access to snorkel areas designed for beginners and experts.

Swim among extraordinary coral formations and colorful tropical fish.

Relax on the beach, kayak or float on a comfortable beach float.

Receive complimentary rum punch, sodas and bottled water.

Notes: Minimum age to snorkel is 8 years old. Snorkeling vests are mandatory and must be worn while snorkeling.

All equipment, instruction and transportation included. A towel, sunscreen & underwater camera are recommended. Restrooms are available on the boat."

Any feedback would be appreciated!! Looking forward to the cruise!

Helen

The Barrier Reef at Belize is the second largest in the world.... very shallow in places... and for those who don't want to snorkel - they usually bring creatures up for those on the boat to see...... it's ammmmazing...... we also looked for manaatees and some dolphins chased us.

we did the banister beach thing--- belize not known for beaches

but going 1/4 way around the world to see the reef was a bucket list item for us!

also visit the belize port boards or tripadvisor.com

There are MANY on here who will not get off on this stop -- don't listen to them -- I have no idea why.... I guess because there are so very few "cruise" excursions to choose from -- I did NOT want to go cavetubing or to any ruins -- no regrets!

Edited by kcdancerkc

...back in January while on the Liberty. We were going to stay on the ship (did the cave tubing last time - yawn), but decided to book this - part of the reason was that they picked us up right from the ship and took us to this cute little island. When I say little, it was about the size of a football field. They had hamburgers and drinks for sale.

We had a great time, and the water was very clear. DW and I agree that it was one of the highlights of this cruise! :D

Bruce

aka Counsel

We have snorkeled many places in carib including - cayman - may dif reefs (family live there so visited a fair few times), barbados, coz & riviera maya. We did not snorkel in belize but did in Roatan. I would say our Roatan trip was the best snorkeling we have ever done. I would recommend this place for your snorkeling trip. In belize we chose the river tour to the mayan ruins - was a fab day also.

Belize is a great stop, and Coral Breeze runs great tours!! We always book our Belize excursions with them.

I haven't done that particular excursion, but I know that the snorkeling is amazing! You should have a great time on this tour. Belize is an amazing place!!!

Love Belize.

I usually don't do ship based shore excursions because of the price but the hassle of tendering into Belize is huge. If the catamaran picks you up alongside the ship it's worth every cent. Do it!!

What company did you use to Roatan to go snorkling with?

we just went with carnival - this was our first ever cruise so we felt more at ease just doing the ships own tours also the stop there is only until 2.30pm so was a short tight for time day. We went to Maya Kay - The place itself was OK - had a few animals for kids to look at and a very fake Mayan exhibit. But the snorkeling was amazing - there is a steep drop off which had the best display of corals that we have ever seen- Avoid snorkeling in coz - that had the worst display we have ever seen- The coral there is dead, if we go back there we will just go to one of the beaches or go kayaking.

Just a bit of advice regarding Coral Breeze. They used to be great, but not since they dropped Hammerhead, their boat crew in Belize. We were just there last month and did the Shark Ray Alley tour, and were crammed in a very small boat, and were hammered with spray there and back, 1 hour and 20 min each way..It was very uncomfortable. There is a lot of discussion on this on the Belize page.

Belize is a great stop, and Coral Breeze runs great tours!! We always book our Belize excursions with them.

I haven't done that particular excursion, but I know that the snorkeling is amazing! You should have a great time on this tour. Belize is an amazing place!!!

Centex...your recent reviews are what made me change my mind to go straight with carnival for the excursion. I emailed Mark from Coral Breeze before making my final decision and when he told me that he was only offering 1 out of the 4 excursions this summer, I didn't want to take a chance and have it cancelled and being left doing nothing for Belize. I've always want to snorkel the barrier reef here and the only thig that will stop me is weather at this point haha :)

Helen

Surprised this hasn't been moved yet, but we snorkeled Goff's Cay several years ago, over touristed, no fish, but what an island-paradise! You will see this island when you snake in and out of the channel, on your way out, it's the last island-end of the world, pure earthsea. See if Carnival is doing any tours back to goff Cay-but I have read about your excurison-and it sounds great. Our last trip to Belize, we toured on our own the city of Belize to the Museum of Art and History. would I do it again? No, even my big strong DH said, it was too much. POor country lots of begging, bartering, and very very hot.

I then looked at the "Barrier Reef Snorkel with Beach Break" through carnival and booked that because it looked like a similar tour. Has anyone done this tour before??

Helen

Hesitate to post because it's been six years since we took the one above through Carnival ... but it probably hasn't changed.

We LOVED it and had a fantastic day! :)

LuLu

~~~~

We love Belize for the ruins but then we are a family of 6 with four kids who are really into history and seeing/doing things that are not native to our home grounds here in Indiana! We dont get much opportunity to see such in these parts! :)

I think you made a wise choice. At least you will know your excursion will still be on. We use mostly independents now, but this thing with Coral is just something that happens, so I only found it fair to warn people how it has changed. My daughter did the tour 3 years ago and it was wonderful, so we all went this time , and it was a flop..

Centex...your recent reviews are what made me change my mind to go straight with carnival for the excursion. I emailed Mark from Coral Breeze before making my final decision and when he told me that he was only offering 1 out of the 4 excursions this summer, I didn't want to take a chance and have it cancelled and being left doing nothing for Belize. I've always want to snorkel the barrier reef here and the only thig that will stop me is weather at this point haha :)

Helen

we just went with carnival - this was our first ever cruise so we felt more at ease just doing the ships own tours also the stop there is only until 2.30pm so was a short tight for time day. We went to Maya Kay - The place itself was OK - had a few animals for kids to look at and a very fake Mayan exhibit. But the snorkeling was amazing - there is a steep drop off which had the best display of corals that we have ever seen- Avoid snorkeling in coz - that had the worst display we have ever seen- The coral there is dead, if we go back there we will just go to one of the beaches or go kayaking.

That is true for the near shore reefs; however, Hurricane Wilma did only mild damage to the numerous off shore reefs. They are still world class for diving and snorkeling. Book the "all day" trips for off shore reefs.

• 3 weeks later...
Check out ShoreTrips. We have used Shore Trips to book our excursion with for years, many times at half the price. Never had a problem even when it did not work out, were able to get refund.

Bob

Hi Bob, We are going to Belize in Dec. Our 1st time. Shore Trips sounds great. Have you done the Goff's Caye Snorkel Trip? Just wondering if you thought it was worth the money.

• 1 year later...
Love Belize.

I usually don't do ship based shore excursions because of the price but the hassle of tendering into Belize is huge. If the catamaran picks you up alongside the ship it's worth every cent. Do it!!

I usually book private tours, it's my first time in Belize so I am a little leary.

Going to break down and book through the ship

I just don't know which one...:confused:

Barrier Reef Snorkeling & Island Beach Break OR Snorkeling Wonders the Barrier Reef?

They both sound the same....:cool:

Hi Bob, We are going to Belize in Dec. Our 1st time. Shore Trips sounds great. Have you done the Goff's Caye Snorkel Trip? Just wondering if you thought it was worth the money.

My wife and friend did, Had a good time. I am a diver got to go down and see it.

Bob