Celebrity Solstice Vs. Rhapsody of Seas - Alaska 2013 ?

pearl12970

We ( husband , me & 6 year old , my parents ) are booked on the Rhapsody of seas ( Aug 9 ) in a balcony & an ocean view. *We now want to change to 2 balconies Or a balcony & ocean view on the same deck, but all balconies are taken.*

We can get 2 balcony staterooms on the Celebrity Solstice . However the Solstice docks at Victoria at 6 pm*& departs at midnight . With a 6 year old , that would mean no shore excursion for us.*The Rhapsody docks in Victoria at 6am & departs at 9pm

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...ilDate=1130809

http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...s=B&promoType=

. I am tempted to cancel the Rhapsody & book on the Solstice bcos we get 2 balconies at the same rate as a balcony + ocean view on Rhapsody. However i have to consider the possibility that we may not get off the ship fact that we won't see anything in Victoria. Are shore excursions at Victoria a must see?

I also want to know which of the 2 ships has more activities for kids.

I have to finally make a decision between a balcony Vs. excursion at Victoria.

This is our first cruise to Alaska & I am so confused !! Any advice , suggestions will be highly appreciated.

You do not have to take a shore excursion to see Victoria.

You can take a shuttle or a taxi over to Victoria which is about 5 minutes away. It is a lovely town to just walk around.

You could do it right after dinner or right before dinner.

Keith

I would stay with Rhapsody. The area in Victoria is beautiful and you will not want to miss out. Granted you do not have to do a shore excursion but it is really a nice area to see. I think you will regret it if you didn't have a chance to see the area.

Agree with KK.........RCI would be a better choice with a 6 yr. old. Hopefully Royal Carribean will work with you right up to the cruise to accomodate what you need.

Cruiselines often get cancellations just before or right at final payment time., so more cabins become available. And any unpaid cabins are released shortly thereafter.

So, if ROS seems like the right cruise, stay put while watching for availability to change. worst case, you have an OV and a balcony on the sailing of your choice. best case, you snag a second balcony (or swap to a closer OV)...maybe even at a good price after final payment....maybe.

Solstice is a bigger, newer ship. she is wonderful. Since it is a summer cruise, you may find a decent number of kid's and multi generation families on any Alaska cruise, including Solstice.

Victoria is lovely. Our first stop there was only four hours. The taste of that town charmed us, but it did seem too short.

Your links are not working for me, so I have not seen the exact itineraries. What dates interest you?

I tried the links again and this time they worked...

there are pluses and minuses to each itinerary. Solstice seems to have an extra port. ROS a longer Victoria stop. To me the negative of either for a first timer to Alaska is the lack of Glacier Bay. we had a wonderful day in Glacier Bay on our first Alaska cruise, a RT from Seattle, and Glacier Bay has called me back on two more Alaska cruises. So, honestly, I'd look at all the cruises from Seattle during your timeframe, even other ships and other lines. personally, I'd select a cruise that visits Glacier Bay. visits to the Bay are limited, and as far as I know, RCL and Celebrity get few if any slots. Check NCL, HAL, Princess before you make your final decision. as I recall you can see Tracy Arm on a small ship as an excursion, probably the superior experience if in the budget. Good luck.

Thank you everyone ! You guys are super helpfu !

Based on the majority recommendations , I will stay with the Rhapsody and like starreyes suggested keep calling in to check for available balconies !

Starryeyes : I am interested in the Aug 9 itinerary from Seattle.

Thank you again.

Pearl

Hi Starry Eyes,

I didnt know all of this information when I booked on the Rhapsody. I just went with Seattle for the sake of convinience. I should have researched better on itineraries.:(

The reason I went with RCI is because I had read good reviews about their kids programs. Our 6 year old boy gets bored really quickly and he needs a variety of activities to keep him busy constantly. I didnt get much informaton/ reviews for kids programs on other cruise lines.

Thank you so much for your reply. Maybe we will take a 2nd Alaska cruise that visits Glacier bay too !! :)

I tried the links again and this time they worked...

there are pluses and minuses to each itinerary. Solstice seems to have an extra port. ROS a longer Victoria stop. To me the negative of either for a first timer to Alaska is the lack of Glacier Bay. we had a wonderful day in Glacier Bay on our first Alaska cruise, a RT from Seattle, and Glacier Bay has called me back on two more Alaska cruises. So, honestly, I'd look at all the cruises from Seattle during your timeframe, even other ships and other lines. personally, I'd select a cruise that visits Glacier Bay. visits to the Bay are limited, and as far as I know, RCL and Celebrity get few if any slots. Check NCL, HAL, Princess before you make your final decision. as I recall you can see Tracy Arm on a small ship as an excursion, probably the superior experience if in the budget. Good luck.

Hi Starry Eyes,

I didnt know all of this information when I booked on the Rhapsody. I just went with Seattle for the sake of convinience. I should have researched better on itineraries.:(

The reason I went with RCI is because I had read good reviews about their kids programs. Our 6 year old boy gets bored really quickly and he needs a variety of activities to keep him busy constantly. I didnt get much informaton/ reviews for kids programs on other cruise lines.

Thank you so much for your reply. Maybe we will take a 2nd Alaska cruise that visits Glacier bay too !! :)

Yes, maybe a second AK cruise will be in the cards.

Not many of the available ships from Seattle seem to be visiting Glacier Bay that particular week. if your dates are set, just watch cabin availability...your odds of swapping or upgrading are reasonably good. In fact, I sometimes book the lowest category I'd comfortably sail. Before final payment, I watch for price drops in my category or better ones, adjusting as I see fit. then after final payment (when I can no longer get a price drop), I concentrate on upgrade opportunities...sometimes great cabins or great deals pop up in those last weeks, so keep watching the website.

If your travel plans are still flexible, you could check NCL Pearl two days later. I've been on a lot of NCL cruises; the young kids do not seem bored by any means. The teens are teens everywhere, of course, and probably too cool for any line, any trip, any day;). NCL is more casual than RCL and way more casual that Celebrity. I sail all three of those lines and like each of them in their own way.

• 1 month later...

Archived