Butler Etiquette Question

MrsNancyG

I think you're right, I don't want to miss out and I LOVE, LOVe LOve that you used the term "experience"! Each and every journey you take SHOULD be an experience! Is that really so wrong?! :o

I think you just hit the core of the whole "what does a butler do" issue that seems to make frequent appearances here on Cruise Critic.

I would surmise that many people are less interested in what the butler actually does and more interested in ensuring that they don't "miss out" on asking for anything they are allowed to in order to get their money's worth out of the experience.

• 1 month later...

This is our second trip with a butler / concierge service (Haven forward facing penthouse - Breakaway). Our last trip was an aft penthouse (no access to the Haven) on the Pearl. We found we only used the concierge once for a dinner reservation. We probably used the butler services 5 times (Room service meal, DVD rental, etc) What is an appropriate gratuity?

Our butler was crystal clear to us that his sole purpose was food in the suite and that's it.

This would have been my reply:

"Oh, I am soooo disappointed you feel that way. I expected soooo much more from reading all the wonderful things butlers do for pax on CC. But since you choose to basically be "room service", I will tip you the customary amount of a few bucks. Oh, and all the money I budgeted for a good butler will go to the spa."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I am glad someone started this thread as we have booked a two room Haven suite for a December 2014 family cruise.

This has helped clear up "what do I do with a butler"? I think the grandkids will enjoy the butler more than the adults.

Being platinum NCL cruisers we have concierge service already. We have cruised twice since becoming platinum, one cruise we used the concierge about 4 times and the other we never contacted the concierge.

I am thinking I will make much more use of the pool valet than either the butler or concierge.

On a side note about the wine story -- we have never had a problem exchanging a free bottle of wine for something different. We find a time when a bar is not busy and just nicely ask. The only time we were refused was when we asked the last night of a cruise. Was never sure why we were refused but it did not ruin the cruise.

On all the cruises we have been on (NCL, Celebrity, Princess, RCCL) all staff have gone out of their way to accommodate any reasonable request so having a butler who has been trained to please will really make the cruise special.