Celebrity cruisers tried Cunard?

kruzgal

Just wondering if anyone has tried Cunard recently and could give me their thoughts/comparisons? They have a really good price on a 14 night to the fjords/north cape on Queen Elizabeth and we are feeling tempted. I know it will be a bit more formal than Celebrity (jackets required every night) and I am not sure how our teens will find it (although they found the activities limited on the Silhouette last year - particularly with the changes to the lawn club area). We do enjoy Celebrity and the privileges of being Elite level, but this cruise is £800 cheaper than a similar cruise with Celebrity - can't decide what to do! Thanks

Hi

We're regular Celebrity cruisers who are booked on the Norway and Fjords trip next week on Queen Elizabeth. We went round the Med two years ago on Queen Victoria. We loved Cunard - we like the slower pace, the formality at dinner... We have been lucky enough to book Queens Grill both times on Cunard (usually go for a suite on Celebrity) and the service from the butlers and the restaurant Maitre D' is better than on Celebrity in my opinion.

Celebrity is definitely more modern - well, Sillhouette and Eclipse, less so Millennium - and it has a younger clientele. We're 30 but quite happy to be with an older crowd. If you have teens travelling with you they will be significantly below the average age.

In short I think it's wonderful, and so happy to be going on QE, but we'll be back on Celebrity later in the year and just as happy.

Maybe just think about the teens - if they're looking for friends and activities they may be bored. But the Norway itinerary is port heavy so they'll have limit sea days....

Good luck with your choice!

Hi there

As seasoned Celebrity cruisers, we recently had the opportunity to cruise transatlantic Fort LauderdAle to Southampton on Queen Elizabeth, which we basically chose to return to the UK. It was our first and last Cunard cruise.

We just love the solstice class and love AquaClass, which we choose all the time, if we can!

The ship itself is beautiful, but that's it! The service was not great, lots of surly faces, ad not terribly helpful or smiley senior officers. The food was below average,with childlike portions at the breakfast and lunch buffets. Entertainment was ok.

Generally if you like Celebrity, stick with them. Not in the same league!

Hope this s helpful

Lhr1234

Just wondering if anyone has tried Cunard recently and could give me their thoughts/comparisons? They have a really good price on a 14 night to the fjords/north cape on Queen Elizabeth and we are feeling tempted. I know it will be a bit more formal than Celebrity (jackets required every night) and I am not sure how our teens will find it (although they found the activities limited on the Silhouette last year - particularly with the changes to the lawn club area). We do enjoy Celebrity and the privileges of being Elite level, but this cruise is £800 cheaper than a similar cruise with Celebrity - can't decide what to do! Thanks

We are relatively new to cruise vacations and todate have only done three: 10-day Canada & New England (QM2) then a 15-day transatlantic (Solstice) and last December a 14-day Caribbean cruise (Eclipse).

• Though the Solstice class ships are very clean & well maintained there was none of the “WOW” factors of the Queen Mary 2 main public areas.
  • When walking on board for the first time on a Solstice class ship the impression was like entering a Marriott hotel nice but none of the WOW factor of any Intercontinental, Dusit or Taj Hotels
  • Solstice class ships have lots of chrome & glass stairs with modern contemporary décor. (We much prefer the quite luxurious opulence and elegance of Cunard.)
  • Solstice has much of an open plan concept though some might think this better than the distinctive & separate bars and public sections you find on the QM2.
  • In our opinion Celebrity over markets their cruise ship quality service and culinary prowess. Their marketing wording & picture brochures do not actually openly lie but their marketing message is greatly over exaggerated. (The problem with this is that it gives passengers a sense of disappointment and letdown when confronted with the reality of what is actually offered.)
  • Find Cunard caters to a more sophisticated traveler than Celebrity targets and therefore tends to be more expensive.
  • Cunard is defiantly more formal, even on casual nights no jacket and you are not eating in the Britannia, QM2’s main dining room period!
  • We tended to prefer the food on the QM2 though food is very subjective.
  • Lastly but not least QM2 is an ocean liner vs. Solstice class cruise ships two very different types of ships.
  • I would have no qualms about going to sea in a category 1 or 2 hurricane on the QM2 but would not like to experience very rough seas on any Solstice class ship, they would pitch and roll like a bucking bronco (Ocean liner vs. cruise ship).

I am sure that some Celebrity faithful will find issue with my comparison between Celebrity & Cunard.

We are relatively new to cruise vacations and todate have only done three: 10-day Canada & New England (QM2) then a 15-day transatlantic (Solstice) and last December a 14-day Caribbean cruise (Eclipse).

• Though the Solstice class ships are very clean & well maintained there was none of the “WOW” factors of the Queen Mary 2 main public areas.
  • When walking on board for the first time on a Solstice class ship the impression was like entering a Marriott hotel nice but none of the WOW factor of any Intercontinental, Dusit or Taj Hotels
  • Solstice class ships have lots of chrome & glass stairs with modern contemporary décor. (We much prefer the quite luxurious opulence and elegance of Cunard.)
  • Solstice has much of an open plan concept though some might think this better than the distinctive & separate bars and public sections you find on the QM2.
  • In our opinion Celebrity over markets their cruise ship quality service and culinary prowess. Their marketing wording & picture brochures do not actually openly lie but their marketing message is greatly over exaggerated. (The problem with this is that it gives passengers a sense of disappointment and letdown when confronted with the reality of what is actually offered.)
  • Find Cunard caters to a more sophisticated traveler than Celebrity targets and therefore tends to be more expensive.
  • Cunard is defiantly more formal, even on casual nights no jacket and you are not eating in the Britannia, QM2’s main dining room period!
  • We tended to prefer the food on the QM2 though food is very subjective.
  • Lastly but not least QM2 is an ocean liner vs. Solstice class cruise ships two very different types of ships.
  • I would have no qualms about going to sea in a category 1 or 2 hurricane on the QM2 but would not like to experience very rough seas on any Solstice class ship, they would pitch and roll like a bucking bronco (Ocean liner vs. cruise ship).

I am sure that some Celebrity faithful will find issue with my comparison between Celebrity & Cunard.

JH,

I would agree with many of your points. We have cruised Celebrity 21 times and the Queen Mary 2 once (15 day Caribbean), however we are headed to the UK next month and will do the westbound TA on the QM2.

Celebrity is our favorite line, but we have experienced the Queen Mary 2. Alternating between these two great lines would be an easy fit for us.

Cunard is a bit more expensive, but as of late, Celebrity is killing the competition (HAL and Princess), so their prices are up as well.

I think you will find the Solstice Class ships very impressive! Below is my take on the QM2 vs a Solstice Class ship:

QM2

--most impressive wrap around promenade deck on any ship sailing.

--best library at sea.

--fast and very stable.

--great dining room food that is open for ALL meals.

--buffet a bit weak.

--Todd English is good, but not great.

--Classed ship, with "Grills" fare very expensive.

--Super, uncrowded deck areas.

--inside cabins a bit small, with small showers.

Solstice Class

--lame promenade deck.

--basic library, but open and attractive.

--smooth and stable ship (for a non-ocean liner).

--Aqua Class is unique and excellent.

--Excellent alternative restaurants (worth the up-charge).

--Very good buffet.

--nice indoor adult only pool area.

--deck areas nice, but somewhat crowded.

--MDR food is great, but only open for Evening meals. (or at sea days)

--inside cabins large, with great showers.

Loved the QM2 !! Solstice Class ships are our favorite!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Kruzgal, I'm leaving on the 6/1 eastbound TA on the QM2 with my DH and my DD's ages 16 and 12. I'll be sure to report back on our experience, including how our DD's like Cunard and how we feel it compares to the Celebrity cruise experience. We're planning a Baltic cruise for summer 2015, and our reaction to the TA will definitely influence whether we are willing to consider Cunard as an option for a port intensive cruise.

You may want to read Capnpugwash's "Almost Live from the Celebrity Eclipse Thread" from last year. It's the opposite of what you're asking for, because it's the experience of a Cunard regular on Celebrity, but it's entertaining to read: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1667076

Archived