From Berlin to Dover by car

Our cruise ship is sailing from Dover, so we need to get from Berlin to Dover.

Should we park the car in France, and just sail to Dover? Should we take the car train?

How do we get cheapest and easiest to Dover?

Is this a personal car or rental? I'm no expert, but if it is your personal car, and if you could find a place to leave your car at Dover, you could take the car with you on the Dover-Calais ferry. That allows you visit places like Canterbury pre or post cruise.

Here is parking info: http://www.gosimply.com/airport-parking/dover-port/car-parks/dover-port-ferry-parking

I used to drive regularly from Hanover to South London via Dover and it's fairly straightforward. Rather than leaving your car unprotected in France and providing you're not on a tight budget, I'd recommend booking a ferry: the earlier you book, the better bargain you tend to get. There is then secure parking at the port which can be booked online. This isn't the cheapest way but definitely the safest. Alternatively, have you thought of travelling by train from Berlin? You'd have to go via London but there are some really good deals on Eurostar and it could be a lot cheaper.

This website will give you lots of information if you're interested

http://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm#London to Berlin by sleeper train

Another way to do it by train is Berlin - Calais Ville (change at Koln, Bruxelles and Lille), stop the night then get the ferry as a foot passenger the next day. The train journey is about 10 hrs including the changes. I remember when we used to visit friends in Frohnau that we used to get the overnight ferry to Hook of Holland and drive from there in about 12 hours, but that was when we had to do the border crossings into East Germany and West Berlin which were quite time consuming. If you want to bring your car I would definately bring it over on the ferry and leave it in one of the Dover car parks (Lots on google).

Simon

I used to drive regularly from Hanover to South London via Dover and it's fairly straightforward. Rather than leaving your car unprotected in France and providing you're not on a tight budget, I'd recommend booking a ferry: the earlier you book, the better bargain you tend to get. There is then secure parking at the port which can be booked online. This isn't the cheapest way but definitely the safest. Alternatively, have you thought of travelling by train from Berlin? You'd have to go via London but there are some really good deals on Eurostar and it could be a lot cheaper.

This website will give you lots of information if you're interested

http://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm#London to Berlin by sleeper train

I thing the Eurostar goes to Ashford also so that one doesn't have to go all the way into London. Catch a taxi from Ashford to the cruise terminal.

To be perfectly honest, you may find it cheaper and easier to fly to the UK.

One possible route: Berlin-Frankfurt-London City (or through some other connection point - Zurich may be a viable alternative). Then you take the DLR direct to Stratford International and get the fast (Javelin) train to Dover Priory.

Our cruise ship is sailing from Dover, so we need to get from Berlin to Dover.

Should we park the car in France, and just sail to Dover? Should we take the car train?

I'm always curious as to what people chose to do. Please let us know what you decide.

I used to drive regularly from Hanover to South London via Dover and it's fairly straightforward. Rather than leaving your car unprotected in France and providing you're not on a tight budget, I'd recommend booking a ferry: the earlier you book, the better bargain you tend to get. There is then secure parking at the port which can be booked online. This isn't the cheapest way but definitely the safest.

This is what I would do.

Archived