Laundry on the Amsterdam...

Buy the unlimited laundry package. You are on vacation. Who wants to spend time sitting in a hot laundry room?

No need to sit in the laundry room. The washers and dryers work without an attendant. Just come back a minute or two before the load is done.

I can wash my evening wear with confidence that it's done without harming my garments when I do it myself. I would never trust evening clothes to the ship's laundry. Daywear, fine; evening clothes, no way.

For the first time ever we had problems with the laundry on the Amsterdam. Several items of clothing ruined and only refunding for one.

I ended up doing all our laundry in the laundry room instead and this was on the world cruise so that was a lot of laundry.

RuthC is right - just note the time on the washer or dryer and come back when it is done.

Someone on here gave me the tip to add cold water wash on the sheet - which is what I did on the Zaandam and everything came back in perfect

condition.

Are there irons & boards available in the laundry rooms?

On the ships that have self-service laundry rooms, yes. Those are the Prinsendam, four S-class and four R-class ships.

Are the laundry rooms open 24/7 (except maybe boarding day) ?

TIA!

They're not supposed to be open all night. When I go by very late, the door is usually closed. Once in a while I try it; sometimes it's locked, sometimes it isn't.

My memory is that the laundry is open on embarkation day, but I won't swear to it as I've never used it that day. I am fairly sure that I have seen people ironing dinner clothes that day, though.

No need to sit in the laundry room. The washers and dryers work without an attendant. Just come back a minute or two before the load is done.

I can wash my evening wear with confidence that it's done without harming my garments when I do it myself. I would never trust evening clothes to the ship's laundry. Daywear, fine; evening clothes, no way.

Of course hey do. Many people worry about their clothes disappearing if they are not around to keep an eye on their clothes.

I wouldn't leave anything of value unattended.

• 6 months later...
For the first time ever we had problems with the laundry on the Amsterdam. Several items of clothing ruined and only refunding for one.

I ended up doing all our laundry in the laundry room instead and this was on the world cruise so that was a lot of laundry.

RuthC is right - just note the time on the washer or dryer and come back when it is done.

Someone on here gave me the tip to add cold water wash on the sheet - which is what I did on the Zaandam and everything came back in perfect

condition.

HAL should have given you refunding for all items ruined, and an additional credit for taking away several of your clothes on the world trip, and for their error and wasting your time...as an apology for their wrongdoing.

is there self laundry? What is the cost?

in 2012, washers were $2 and dryers were free on the Amsterdam - best time for laundry seems to be early morning or while in port. BTW - we have found that the higher the deck, the fewer the people in the laundry room.

Yes, ironing board and iron are available in each laundry room.

Edited by take us away

in 2012, washers were $2 and dryers were free on the Amsterdam - best time for laundry seems to be early morning or while in port. BTW - we have found that the higher the deck, the fewer the people in the laundry room.

Yes, ironing board and iron are available in each laundry room.

Save yourself the trouble, By the unlimited package.

Save yourself the trouble, By the unlimited package.

Not everyone WANTS to buy the unlimited laundry. I quite enjoy doing laundry while on vacation, it is a nice relaxing break for me. I realize not everyone will agree with that :D Our last two cruises we had unlimited laundry and (honestly) I rather missed doing it myself :eek:

Not everyone WANTS to buy the unlimited laundry. I quite enjoy doing laundry while on vacation, it is a nice relaxing break for me. I realize not everyone will agree with that :D Our last two cruises we had unlimited laundry and (honestly) I rather missed doing it myself :eek:

Quite right! Actually, I love sitting on my veranda watching my underwear dry.