Worst port ever visited.

aaannnthony

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]Anthonny- Long Time No See!;) [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]I'll talk to Bob for sure!:cool: [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]P.S. Could you send us info. at [/color][/size][/font][email="localady42@yahoo.com"][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]localady42@yahoo.com[/color][/size][/font][/email][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]. Went to the Princess site and they have no 2007 listed.[/color][/size][/font]

Jamaica...... Dock was a little North of Ocho Rios, what a mess and it was raining so we had to tramp through the mud.
Loca friend have emailed you the details on 2007 cruise.

[quote name='revneal']Ut-oh. This November the Westerdam is schedule to drop anchor there with NINE other Cruise Ships, all on the same day. 4 Biggies, and 5 of them the size of the Westerdam or smaller.

Perhaps we'd better stay aboard and enjoy an "extra day at sea" ?[/QUOTE]

Whew! And I thought it was bad with the 6 megaships at once! 9 ships?! What are they trying to do...break a Guiness World Record?! Georgetown is going to look like a college-VW-Beetle-stuffing competition! "New World Record...the most people unloaded onto an unsuspecting populated sandbar - 22,300"

Sounds like the tour to the other side of the island for anything would be worthwhile. From Georgetown to Seven Mile to Hell will be a sea of heads and arms and bad tourist fashion...if you really want to get off the ship.

Last time I was there with the megaships, I decided to go ashore just out of boredom...faught the crowd from the tender pier to the Hard Rock, gave up and turned around, caught the first tender back, and enjoyed the partially empty ship. Maybe if it is your first time there...but after a few trips there, you've probably covered all there is to see.

The Zuiderdam will be there in September on my 7-day cruise, and there are two other vessels listed there that same day...Disney Magic and Carnival Miracle. That will be crowded, but not enough to stop me from going ashore and maybe trying that botanical garden (I've been to Cayman on western route cruises probably 9 times...but never went beyond 7-mile beach or Hell).

[quote name='Cruisin Kay D']I'm on same trip with revneal on Westerdam in November -- there will be a TOTAL OF 10 SHIPS at Grand Cayman that day all trying to tender people into town!!! It will be RIDICULOUS!! Rev was saying his ship with 9 others!!![/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that will be the end of Grand Cayman! It's going to sink.

Hurricane Ivan tried to rake it clean...then they suffer the surprise of a 6.5 earthquake...both of which failed to destroy the little sandbar that could.

Now 10 cruise ships (isn't that a sign of the Apocalypse?) are going to stampede the island under the waves for good.

If you go ashore, bring your life jacket.

Puerto Plata by far. It was just horrible. It smells so bad that it is sickening. Even if you stay on the ship it still smells. You have to walk through a terrible wet smelly road to get to the downtown. Actually the downtown does not look bad but you are accosted by a person who claims to be taking you to an uncle. He harasses you and gets in front of you so that you cannot get away from him. He says he is your walking guy. These men are all over the place. You cannot avoid them.

Normally Halifax is a great port, but it wasn't much fun for the passengers on the Renaissance cruise line ship that was docked there when the cruise line went belly up. If you can imagine your cruise suddenly over, and you have to dig in for short notice air flights back home!

Could you make lemonade from lemons and say, ok let's have a nice Nova Scotia vacation before flying home?

[quote name='revneal']Sounds like New Orleans on Ash Wednesday Morning. :D[/QUOTE]

[size=-1][b]Snow[/b] shovels in St. Thomas,, I remember them well. Early morning tour after a hard night during St. Thomas Carnival, there were three guys with snow shovels behind a garbage truck, shoveling in the beer cans/bottles. :D[/size]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]As I said earlier in another post - and Odd Ball agrees with me - Caracas. The poverty there is unreal! The stelling - louting - having to be guarded with men carrying M'16s and M'4s and youare only allowed to shop in a couple of stores. We had guards on the buses.[/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]We were there in 1988 and again in ??? - ah - a senior moment - I can't remember when. The second time we were there we didn't even leave the new cruise ship terminal.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]In 1939 my mother toke a cruise to Caracas and she took pictures. When we got back from our 1988 cruise we compared pictures. She thought the posverity was bad then - but looking at our pictures she said that it looked even worse. And they didn't have to worry about guards taking care of them![/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='revneal']As an overall problem, true -- the "Ranchitos" in Caracas are an eye-opener in and of themselves. However, what struck me in Cartegena were the children and adult beggars who would flocks to the busses, and hang on to the sides and backs as we would travel from site to site, then jump off and have their hands out at each of our stops.

[/QUOTE]

Strange how a little change in cities makes a lot of difference. Went to Morocco and the ship ported in Casablanca, we did a city tour with zero beggers, but the ship tour that went to Marrakech had beggers like you describe. It was the same kids at every stop on the tour..... Like they knew where you were going next.

The strangest beggers were the gypsy kids in Moscow in 94. We ate at a HAL tour sponsored hotel. Outside the hotel were steps leading down to the sidewalk and lots of gypsy kids. The RULE was if you were on the sidewalk, you were fair game. BUT take a step up on the stairs to the hotel, the kids backed away from you..... :eek:

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Montego Bay - also hate that port - but it is not on top of our worst port list.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]But we did cancel a 2006 cruise when we found out that the cruise would be stopping in Montego Bay rather than Ocho Rios as was on the origianl schedule. At least in Ocho Rios we can walk down to Island Village and spend a wonderful day there.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]We have been to Jamaica many times and have done all the tours - Dunn's River Falls - Kingston - etc.[/color][/font][/b]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]As I said earlier in another post - and Odd Ball agrees with me - Caracas. The poverty there is unreal! The stelling - louting - having to be guarded with men carrying M'16s and M'4s and youare only allowed to shop in a couple of stores. We had guards on the buses.[/color][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]We were there in 1988 and again in ??? - ah - a senior moment - I can't remember when. The second time we were there we didn't even leave the new cruise ship terminal.[/color][/font][/b][/QUOTE]

In my travels, the port for Caracas was the first place I have ever been that as soon as the air in the port hit me, I flashed back to Viet Nam. It was a smell of poverty that I knew from VN.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]Grand Cayman - we have been there many times when there were 8 - 10 ships and it is a zoo with the tendering. We even had a bad time tendering there just this past May when there were only 3 ships anchored.[/color][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]The big problem here - HAL choses to use their own tenders while the majority of the other cruise lines use the island tenders - and they have priority in docking at the tender piers.[/color][/font][/b]

Archived