EPIC 4-Night Barcelona Roundtrip - First Solo Cruise - Photo Review!

Thanks for the wonderful report and pictures.

I have over 30 days on NCL and many more on other cruise lines. I like NCL and Princess. I mostly travel alone, though not on NCL.

I am looking at the Epic for a transatlantic in Oct 2014. The studio price is US$1099. An inside if occupied singly is US$1199. So the savings of a Studio is not as great as I think. I am even tempted to go with a balcony at US$1658 by myself.

To wrap up this report, I'll do a review of cruising solo. I'm saving my overall Norwegian and Epic reviews for the 7-day.

Solo Cruising Experience

This isn't the first time I've traveled solo. It's something that I've done before and knew that I would be comfortable with. The perks of traveling solo is that you get to do what you want to do when you want to do it. So if I wanted to stop and take photos, there was no one standing by waiting on me. When I didn't feel like going into port, there was no one else I had to collaborate with. What's difference about solo cruising and a solo land trip is that there's much more opportunity to meet other solo travelers. While on land someone might be there one day and gone the next, on the cruise you have a common meeting place.

I think that the Studio Lounge/"Living Room" is a good concept, but poorly executed. If they can only have an entertainment director there during one hour of the day, I think that it should be the hour listed in the Freestyle Daily. Viviany made her own hours which were different than the Freestyle's. Also, the point was brought up on this trip that the events are public and listed in the Daily, however they are hosted in a private lounge. We had one lady who was traveling solo, but in a balcony cabin. She had requested that guest services give her access to the solo lounge, but they said it was a special perk of guests staying in the studios. However, guests staying in the studios weren't necessarily solo travelers. If not facilitating interaction between solo travelers, is the Living Room really serving its purpose? I think that meetings for solo travelers should either be held in public locations or solo travelers should be granted access to the Living Room upon request. After all, they are paying more money for a balcony stateroom.

I was disappointed to find out that many of the studio cabins are not actually occupied by solo travelers, but by groups who each want their own stateroom. I guess there is really no way for NCL to patrol this, however NCL definitely entertains the idea with the option of adjoining two studio cabins. Sure, I guess if two people want to pay a teensy bit extra and get two rooms instead of one, who am I to stop them? But having large groups in the studio cabins really cuts back on the number of people using the lounge and takes away from the "solos only" cruising experience. I've heard that NCL has significantly cut back on the number of studio cabins on Breakaway which makes me question their success. I had assumed they were successful since Royal Caribbean is adding their own version on Quantum of the Seas, but now I am unsure.

While I'm giving NCL a hard time about the flaws in their solo traveling experience, I must commend them for being the first cruise line to directly address the situation of solo travelers. The studio cabins themselves were great - I didn't need anything more. I don't understand why the bed is so large... did they expect us to not end the cruise solo? :D Another solo traveler had made the suggestion that they could make the bed a little smaller which would give more floor space between the bed and the dresser. I think that's a very good idea because I certainly didn't use all of that bed.

I've already complained about this once, but I'll complain about it again. Our solo director, Viviany, really stunk. She wasn't outgoing or good at getting people to interact with one another. She literally stood propped up against a table with her arms crossed the entire time, only speaking to defend herself and why she was no good at her job. I don't think she thought there was a reason for her to be there besides make us reservations, and she couldn't do that because it was only a 4-day cruise (according to her), so she really didn't want to be there at all. I wanted to tell her that her job was to talk to us - to be cheery and get people talking with one another whether it meant stupid name games or just asking who had a good day. But she didn't do any of that. She wasn't a people's person, and she was a complete misfit for the job. Luckily for us, we were a pretty outgoing bunch and had a good little group for fun dinners. But Viviany certainly didn't do anything to start that.

Well, that's all for now!

So fly with me to Rome and meet my family - because we have another EPIC adventure! :)

I've cruised the Epic a few times, twice in the studios. Sorry you had such a bad Solo Coordinator. I had one Excellent and one Very Good. Glad the group of people you met were outgoing and you all got together and did your own things.

I have to say the Solo Coordinator is the one who dropped the ball on the gathering for those that were not in the solo cabins. Usually the coordinator or the bartender on duty during the gathering props open the door so others can freely come in at that time. In my experience the bartender was usually there 15-30 minutes prior to the start of the gathering and then a little after the time ended.

Also on another note. The shower door will close flat. I remember the first time I used the shower, I thought the same thing. Those of us at the first solo gathering talked about it and we all realized that a tiny bit of pressure to close, or pushing it with one hand while the other pulled it out a hair past the rubber stripping that was stopping it.

Also have to agree 100% that they should make the bed a little bit smaller, but they originally sold the Studios as double occupancy and only switched it to Solo selling a few months After the Epic first opened for selling. Maybe they couldn't get enough people to book the small space as double, so they did the right thing by going at it solo.

Now to go read your 7 day review. I will be doing that itinerary in October

• 2 weeks later...

Your back! I have been secretly "stalking"... LOL --- I had read a lot of your great reviews and posts over on the Royal site and fell in love with your fun spirit and great review style. So then i even checked out the blogspot and to my sadness you had not posted since February. I know your probably a little busy with your studies :D. But when i clicked on your facebook and saw you had gone on what looked like a great trip i started looking over on the Norwegian pages and you once again went on a fun trip. Glad to see your back on your trip "reviewing" and had a nice time. You make for great summer reading.:)

Thanks again,

Your back! I have been secretly "stalking"... LOL --- I had read a lot of your great reviews and posts over on the Royal site and fell in love with your fun spirit and great review style. So then i even checked out the blogspot and to my sadness you had not posted since February. I know your probably a little busy with your studies :D. But when i clicked on your facebook and saw you had gone on what looked like a great trip i started looking over on the Norwegian pages and you once again went on a fun trip. Glad to see your back on your trip "reviewing" and had a nice time. You make for great summer reading.:)

Thanks again,

Thanks so much! I'm sad that I let the blog go, but I'm intending to pick it back up once I finish my 7-Day Epic Review and write about my European adventures. I took on a little too much to handle by volunteering to manage the studio's architecture blog, so I had to let mine go. I'm glad that you enjoy my reviews! It really makes my day to hear positive feedback after writing about my travels.

If you're looking for a little more "summer reading," while in Europe, I visited Disneyland Paris and wrote a TR: http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/60970-lmms-disneyland-paris-tr.html

Just finished this one... and then moved on to the Disney Paris - what fun reads! Now on to the Family Cruise... I always enjoy how you tell the story and post such great pics. It is like we are there with you! Hope things are slowing down a bit for you...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi LittleMissMagic

the "history" of the Solo-Studios was not a Solo-studio....

On modern cruise-ships you try to reduce inside cabins - because there is more demand for balcony cabins.

So NCL decided to add a lounge, but have smaller cabins. The studios were not designed for solo-use. NCL would like to sell them as smaller inside cabins. But in reality they had to learn - 2 people are to many for that kind of cabins. So they decided to sell these cabins as solo-cabins with a little extra (the lounge).

For the press they announce it: "the big innovation - something new"....

Keep in your mind - the only thing a cruiseline want to have: no empty rooms on a cruise and receive the highest price per cabin they can get. If they can sell the studios faster, if they sell these cabins to groups - they will do it. If they could sell these cabins to 2 persons instead of one - trust me - they would do it!

But overall - the studios are nice for solo travellers....

Wendy

Found some articles from the past (when the Epic was called F3-Project)

http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/norwegian-epic-review-june-2010/

"The 128 studio cabins located on deck 11 and 12 are just 100 sq ft. They are the nautical equivalent of ‘bedsits’, yet they are very cute to look at, at least. Unusually have big round ‘frosted’ windows looking onto the corridor, but people cannot see in, and the guests cannot see out. The corridor itself is bathed in a blue light and looks very sci-fi. These cabins were originally designed for couples (obviously small couples) but are now redesignated as ‘single occupancy’. Last year NCL sold these at about half the fare of a standard inside cabin for a couple, so effectively no single supplement. This year they cost a little more. The ‘Living room’ has now been renamed the ‘Studio Lounge’ and effectively becomes come a singles bar. Making the double studio cabins ‘singles’ makes the ‘studio lounge’ potentially twice as spacious and gives the ship a little more room."

• 3 weeks later...

Victoria,

I happened upon your new reviews when we both posted on the Allure v. WDW thread. Of course, we would both say go to WDW! ;)

I've spent the better part of today reading this review, your DLP trip report (awesome!) and am now heading over to the 7-day cruise on Epic with your family.

As always, love your writing style and photos. Glad to see you back! Are you back in the States? Is this going to be your last year at Clemson?

Victoria,

I happened upon your new reviews when we both posted on the Allure v. WDW thread. Of course, we would both say go to WDW! ;)

I've spent the better part of today reading this review, your DLP trip report (awesome!) and am now heading over to the 7-day cruise on Epic with your family.

As always, love your writing style and photos. Glad to see you back! Are you back in the States? Is this going to be your last year at Clemson?

Hello! I actually went looking for this thread today to reference for another thread - imagine my surprise when it had been bumped to the top!

I'm so glad that you've enjoyed my reviews! I am back in the states (spent the summer in New York City)! This will be my final year at Clemson - who knew undergrad would fly by so fast? I have my eyes on a Western Caribbean Disney Fantasy Cruise to celebrate!

I am thinking about doing a solo cruise in October. What age range of travelers would you say occupied the solo cabins?

40 and under?

over 50?

I'm 33 and hope to click with people my age range.

Hello! I actually went looking for this thread today to reference for another thread - imagine my surprise when it had been bumped to the top!

I'm so glad that you've enjoyed my reviews! I am back in the states (spent the summer in New York City)! This will be my final year at Clemson - who knew undergrad would fly by so fast? I have my eyes on a Western Caribbean Disney Fantasy Cruise to celebrate!

• 2 weeks later...
8833995840_84f27673b4_c.jpg

Day 5 by vshingl, on Flickr

8833984520_bcafc86576_c.jpg

8833981220_0b7a5128b0_c.jpg

Hi Victoria! I have not finished your review yet but had to stop here for a moment to comment :)

I too am in my early-wait, mid-wait, EEK late 20's? (I just turned 27, first cruise was 21). Not happy about being in my "late" 20's! Anyway, we did our first med. cruise last summer too (family trip, if you want you can check out my review in my signature). I somehow stumbled upon your review and I never knew about solo cabins! I think that was an awesome idea for you to do while waiting for your parents.

This post starts my day in Barcelona, and my crappy pics! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700095&page=2

Barcelona was our favorite city, we can't wait to come back one day. We had limited time so we only got to do the hop on/hop off bus. I really enjoyed these pictures! I feel like I get to see the detail that I missed as we were on a bus.

It almost looks like a sand-drip castle you make on the beach as a kid :D

I'll have to check out your family trip report next! Have a nice weekend!

Ashley

Thought of something else...

You went in May right? I noticed you mentioning kids quite a bit. One reason why we went last May was to avoid kids. I am a teacher, I love kids, but when on vacation I don't want to be with kids :p

Was it because we were on Celebrity, which is known to not be the "kid-friendliest?" Were kids a nuisance?

I don't remember many kids in May- sightseeing or on ship.

Side-note: we really enjoyed Celebrity, do you plan on trying X one day? It is a little more formal, dressier, and not as kid-friendly but we really like it :D I think it is comparable to Princess (from what I hear/read). X is sister company with Royal :)

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

• 9 months later...

Great read & photos! I'm considering cruising solo and I'm eager to read others' experiences beforehand. After reading this, I'm not sure about NCL anymore... I hope I don't get someone like Viviany on my trip. Or that pedicurist! I would have been so mortified. How you managed to get through that without "accidentally" kicking her, I do not know. :eek:

Molly

I took a little nap and then went out to explore Barcelona on my own. I had no real plan and was just doing the things I had favorited on my Let's Go Barcelona App (Let's Go is a travel guide written by Harvard Students, and the apps are great for quick weekends in cities - they vary between $0.99-2.99 each). I walked to the nearest metro station and bought a day pass. I then helped a random elderly Spanish-speaking lady purchase a pass on the touchscreen kiosks. I held my purse the entire time to make sure it wasn't some bag-slashing/pick-pocketing scam, but she proved to be legitimate and very thankful.

I tried just now to find this app for iPhones. Can't seem to find it at all. What phone did you have and where might I find it? Sounds very useful!

Victoria, your reviews are wonderful, entertaining and so informative. Thank you. It must be an Architect trait ( I am married to one....I can say with out a doubt you all see the world with a different set of eyes). We will be in Barcelona in a few months so I especially liked this posting. Of course we cannot wait to see Gaudi's works.