EPIC 4-Night Barcelona Roundtrip - First Solo Cruise - Photo Review!

On debarkation day, I had luggage tags to disembark at 7AM or something crazy like that, but since I wasn't in a hurry, didn't get off the ship until 8:30ish. Disembarkation was really easy. There were no customs to go through. Once I made it to the luggage carousels, I found my bags and grabbed a porter. It was necessary because I couldn't handle all of my luggage easily, but a good idea because he was able to usher me to a faster taxi line (not like I was in a hurry). He was a very friendly guy, and I tipped him well.

For my one night in Barcelona, I had stressed about where to stay for a while. I was going to stay at an airport hotel but read that there wasn't really a point to. So then I decided that maybe I should save a little money and stay in a private room at a hostel (good thing, since I blew 300 euros on a bag on the way over!). I read reviews and reviews and reviews on Hostel World. All of the good reviewed ones I found were in bad parts of town according to Barcelona Day Tours' website. So I finally went with one that had no reviews - Urbany Hostel BCN Go. There was another Urbany Hostel in Barcelona in a less ideal location with very good reviews, so I figured that it couldn't be too bad.

Luckily, the guys working there were all so friendly and great. I've only stayed in more expensive hostels in private rooms, so I've never had a truly authentic hostel experience (and I can't say that I'm upset about that), but every hostel I've been to has had the friendliest employees. My room was ready, but I found out later that the bathroom didn't have a working light and they ended up moving me to another room. There were four bunks in the room even though it was a private -apparently they're all rooms for four, and you just reserve it for however many people (you're paying a supplement when you book it for one, of course). It was pretty bare with no real amenities, and I was kind of wishing I would have booked a hotel. However, any hotel I would've gotten for the price I paid would've been sketch.

I took a little nap and then went out to explore Barcelona on my own. I had no real plan and was just doing the things I had favorited on my Let's Go Barcelona App (Let's Go is a travel guide written by Harvard Students, and the apps are great for quick weekends in cities - they vary between $0.99-2.99 each). I walked to the nearest metro station and bought a day pass. I then helped a random elderly Spanish-speaking lady purchase a pass on the touchscreen kiosks. I held my purse the entire time to make sure it wasn't some bag-slashing/pick-pocketing scam, but she proved to be legitimate and very thankful.

My first stop was Sagrada Familia because to architecture students, this is perhaps the most iconic structure of Barcelona and perhaps Spain itself. Ground was broken 131 years ago, and this basilica and church still isn't finished, yet.

8834002652_0912c9f2d8_c.jpg

Day 5 by vshingl, on Flickr

Next, I went to Castle of Montjuic because I didn't know if we'd visit there or not when in Barcelona with the family. It was fairly easy to find via the Let's Go app and metro system.

8833978516_cb9c64b23f_c.jpg

8833970022_4c840186f5_c.jpg

8833960270_1214a298ae_c.jpg

8833957850_22776d3909_c.jpg

8833952124_2be49480aa_c.jpg

8833949230_5e31502c4a_c.jpg

I walked from Montjuic to another metro. I'm not quite sure where - I was just strolling. Then I took the metro to Catalunya in attempt to find La Rambla de les Canaletes.

I found a Gaudi house in the process...

8835400692_6ee83f0708_c.jpg

Pl. Catalunya

8835351628_617417175a_c.jpg

8835349924_39309a1521_c.jpg

Barcelona's Bike Share Program

8835362776_a9b473e910_c.jpg

8835361512_57a714f326_c.jpg

8835364332_7cf38535d9_c.jpg

Awesome review with a great mix of ship and port photos with a fun flair to them :). Really found the ins and outs of the solo experience interesting and appreciate your candidness on the hits and misses about ship activiites. Thanks ;)

To wrap up this report, I'll do a review of cruising solo. I'm saving my overall Norwegian and Epic reviews for the 7-day.

Solo Cruising Experience

This isn't the first time I've traveled solo. It's something that I've done before and knew that I would be comfortable with. The perks of traveling solo is that you get to do what you want to do when you want to do it. So if I wanted to stop and take photos, there was no one standing by waiting on me. When I didn't feel like going into port, there was no one else I had to collaborate with. What's difference about solo cruising and a solo land trip is that there's much more opportunity to meet other solo travelers. While on land someone might be there one day and gone the next, on the cruise you have a common meeting place.

I think that the Studio Lounge/"Living Room" is a good concept, but poorly executed. If they can only have an entertainment director there during one hour of the day, I think that it should be the hour listed in the Freestyle Daily. Viviany made her own hours which were different than the Freestyle's. Also, the point was brought up on this trip that the events are public and listed in the Daily, however they are hosted in a private lounge. We had one lady who was traveling solo, but in a balcony cabin. She had requested that guest services give her access to the solo lounge, but they said it was a special perk of guests staying in the studios. However, guests staying in the studios weren't necessarily solo travelers. If not facilitating interaction between solo travelers, is the Living Room really serving its purpose? I think that meetings for solo travelers should either be held in public locations or solo travelers should be granted access to the Living Room upon request. After all, they are paying more money for a balcony stateroom.

I was disappointed to find out that many of the studio cabins are not actually occupied by solo travelers, but by groups who each want their own stateroom. I guess there is really no way for NCL to patrol this, however NCL definitely entertains the idea with the option of adjoining two studio cabins. Sure, I guess if two people want to pay a teensy bit extra and get two rooms instead of one, who am I to stop them? But having large groups in the studio cabins really cuts back on the number of people using the lounge and takes away from the "solos only" cruising experience. I've heard that NCL has significantly cut back on the number of studio cabins on Breakaway which makes me question their success. I had assumed they were successful since Royal Caribbean is adding their own version on Quantum of the Seas, but now I am unsure.

While I'm giving NCL a hard time about the flaws in their solo traveling experience, I must commend them for being the first cruise line to directly address the situation of solo travelers. The studio cabins themselves were great - I didn't need anything more. I don't understand why the bed is so large... did they expect us to not end the cruise solo? :D Another solo traveler had made the suggestion that they could make the bed a little smaller which would give more floor space between the bed and the dresser. I think that's a very good idea because I certainly didn't use all of that bed.

I've already complained about this once, but I'll complain about it again. Our solo director, Viviany, really stunk. She wasn't outgoing or good at getting people to interact with one another. She literally stood propped up against a table with her arms crossed the entire time, only speaking to defend herself and why she was no good at her job. I don't think she thought there was a reason for her to be there besides make us reservations, and she couldn't do that because it was only a 4-day cruise (according to her), so she really didn't want to be there at all. I wanted to tell her that her job was to talk to us - to be cheery and get people talking with one another whether it meant stupid name games or just asking who had a good day. But she didn't do any of that. She wasn't a people's person, and she was a complete misfit for the job. Luckily for us, we were a pretty outgoing bunch and had a good little group for fun dinners. But Viviany certainly didn't do anything to start that.

Well, that's all for now!

So fly with me to Rome and meet my family - because we have another EPIC adventure! :)

I think that the Studio Lounge/"Living Room" is a good concept, but poorly executed. If they can only have an entertainment director there during one hour of the day, I think that it should be the hour listed in the Freestyle Daily. Viviany made her own hours which were different than the Freestyle's. Also, the point was brought up on this trip that the events are public and listed in the Daily, however they are hosted in a private lounge. We had one lady who was traveling solo, but in a balcony cabin. She had requested that guest services give her access to the solo lounge, but they said it was a special perk of guests staying in the studios. However, guests staying in the studios weren't necessarily solo travelers. If not facilitating interaction between solo travelers, is the Living Room really serving its purpose? I think that meetings for solo travelers should either be held in public locations or solo travelers should be granted access to the Living Room upon request. After all, they are paying more money for a balcony stateroom.

So fly with me to Rome and meet my family - because we have another EPIC adventure! :)

Wow, that is disappointing to read. It certainly has changed from my trip last year when I was allowed access to the lounge.

Sorry that you had such issues with your entertainment person too. It really makes a huge difference when you have someone great doing that job - Sol was on our trip. She was fabulous.

Great review though. I really enjoyed following along and looking at your great photos. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

To wrap up this report, I'll do a review of cruising solo. I'm saving my overall Norwegian and Epic reviews for the 7-day.

Solo Cruising Experience

I was disappointed to find out that many of the studio cabins are not actually occupied by solo travelers, but by groups who each want their own stateroom. I guess there is really no way for NCL to patrol this, however NCL definitely entertains the idea with the option of adjoining two studio cabins. Sure, I guess if two people want to pay a teensy bit extra and get two rooms instead of one, who am I to stop them? But having large groups in the studio cabins really cuts back on the number of people using the lounge and takes away from the "solos only" cruising experience. I've heard that NCL has significantly cut back on the number of studio cabins on Breakaway which makes me question their success. I had assumed they were successful since Royal Caribbean is adding their own version on Quantum of the Seas, but now I am unsure.

While I'm giving NCL a hard time about the flaws in their solo traveling experience, I must commend them for being the first cruise line to directly address the situation of solo travelers. The studio cabins themselves were great - I didn't need anything more. I don't understand why the bed is so large... did they expect us to not end the cruise solo? :D Another solo traveler had made the suggestion that they could make the bed a little smaller which would give more floor space between the bed and the dresser. I think that's a very good idea because I certainly didn't use all of that bed.

I've already complained about this once, but I'll complain about it again. Our solo director, Viviany, really stunk. She wasn't outgoing or good at getting people to interact with one another. She literally stood propped up against a table with her arms crossed the entire time, only speaking to defend herself and why she was no good at her job. I don't think she thought there was a reason for her to be there besides make us reservations, and she couldn't do that because it was only a 4-day cruise (according to her), so she really didn't want to be there at all. I wanted to tell her that her job was to talk to us - to be cheery and get people talking with one another whether it meant stupid name games or just asking who had a good day. But she didn't do any of that. She wasn't a people's person, and she was a complete misfit for the job. Luckily for us, we were a pretty outgoing bunch and had a good little group for fun dinners. But Viviany certainly didn't do anything to start that.

Well, that's all for now!

Thanks for the trip report. Good job as always. Like you, I was surprised to see all of the connecting rooms in the studios. I booked back in February of this year for Sept 2014 and there was not very many rooms that did not have the connecting door. Your point about the beds are well taken as well. Would free up some more space in the room.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. Also, if I get someone named Viviany, do not expect too much from her. You would think that would have someone more enthusiastic in the position.

I can probably answer the question why Little Miss Magic didn't sail to Rome. To do that you have to pay for a complete new 7 day cruise, instead of just 3 extra days. I know this because I wanted to turn my 7 day cruise into a few extra days, but I was told I would have to pay for all of the next 7 days, not just the part I was sailing.

Maybe NCL Epic also need to have a solo travellers get together in a public lounge like they do on the Jade. That way anybody can go, no matter what cabin they're travelling in.

Agreed though re Viviany's job as a solo director-Viviany shouldn't have changed the scheduled time on the Freestyle Daily. People use the Freestyle Daily to schedule their time and activities. It would have been very confusing. Maybe a phone call to guest services was needed, so they could ensure Viviany did her job properly or the time was changed on the Freestyle Daily.

I've loved your report. I cant wait to read your next one-Rome to Rome which is the itinerary I'm doing in July.

This might be a weird question but was there a reason that you didn't just ride the Epic to go from Barcelona to Rome? That would have been so simple. :) Is there a European equivalent of our Jones's act?

I could've done that and it would've been simple, but my family was flying into Rome on the 6th and I really wanted to be able to spend as much time as possible with them. So to me, it was worth the hassle of flying to Rome because I didn't want to be on a ship while they were in Rome.

Also, like mentioned above, I believe I would've had to book the cruise as a 7-day out of Barcelona, then 7-days out of Rome (4 days paid in studio cabin that I wasn't sailing in studio cabin). And I'm not sure if I could've even done that because it would mean that I was a double passenger on the ship. I didn't really even look into it, though, because I knew that wasn't what I wanted to do.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

I love your TR's and this one was especially informative. After only ever cruising with RC, your wonderful photos have made me consider trying NCL. Would you recommend we try them?

Well, not knowing your cruising "style," I can't really say.

I was for the most part very impressed with Norwegian. There are a lot of things that they did that were IMO better than Royal Caribbean (and Princess and Carnival). However, I did go on the ship knowing what I was in for. I researched in advance what I would have to pay extra for if I wanted to do. Many complaints I see about the Epic in particular are by people who feel like they are constantly being "upsold." I must say that I never felt any pressure to pay for anything that I didn't want (except in the dang spa and it's like that on every cruise line).

Freestyle Cruising was different, but not in a bad way. I enjoyed the many dinner options, not having to worry about being ready for dinner at a certain time, and all of the different onboard entertainment. It didn't feel like a "traditional" cruise to me, but I definitely enjoyed it.

If you're looking at the Epic and think you might like it, I think there's a good chance you will. The Epic alone is what convinced me to try Norwegian. Keep reading NCL trip reports and look on their website (it's IMO one of the best cruise line websites) - you might be sold!

Shame the solo thing wasn't so great, the review was awesome though love the photos. It's always nice to read reviews of young travels who,like to explore. So much of traveling to me is taking in experiences good or bad and putting a positive spin on it.