Johnny Rockets, I just don't get it

My daughter and I had our first experience at Johnny Rockets at a mall here in AZ. I just don't get the appeal. I have had better onion rings elsewhere, the hamburger wasn't all that great (better at In-and-out) and the milkshake wasn't very good (though my daughter enjoyed it). I have had better shakes at MarbleSlab.

Please someone explain to me the appeal of this establishment. Considering it was $12.51 for a plain burger, onion rings and a shake, I think $4 per person is quite a bargain.

$4 is a bargain since it is a fabulous fast food place!

I can't explain the appeal to you if you ate there and didn't like it, of course.

But most people think it is a fun place for some fast food in a 50's atmosphere...I don't think anyone thinks it is gourmet quality food, but it is good for what it is - greasy fast food in a fun atmosphere!

I think we will still go once on each trip and I don't mind paying $4 at all...

While I would not go out of my way to eat at Johnny Rockets here at home since it's just "okay," on the Mariner the burgers there were much better than those in the Windjammer and it was just a nice change when tired of the buffet.

I've always enjoyed JRs where ever I found one. The food is always fresh and of good quality ingredients. Burgers are juicy and not those terrible frozen patties. I also like being able to order half rings and half fries. I don't go to the big name fast burgers places such as Mickey Ds or BK. And surprisingly, I don't like Fudruckers although I thought I would. The price on the Voyager class ships is a real bargain, but I won't ever be back on one of those ships.

Please someone explain to me the appeal of this establishment. Considering it was $12.51 for a plain burger, onion rings and a shake, I think $4 per person is quite a bargain.

Actually, it's the cruise price PLUS $4 per person. Considering you've already paid for your meals, paying for them a second time -- at any price -- is no bargain. You might do it because you like the food, but I don't think you can justify it as a bargain.

I've always enjoyed JRs where ever I found one. The food is always fresh and of good quality ingredients. Burgers are juicy and not those terrible frozen patties.
Amen to that, just ate one last week, yum. I do not eat fries anymore, but when I did they were great!:D

We have a local Johnny Rockets and we like to go there because of the fun, retro atmosphere. The decor and music are awesome, and the servers are always so friendly and upbeat. Usually, if you go around lunch or dinner time, there will be some sort of dance performance to a 50s song. The food is standard diner food, nothing spectacular but along the same lines as Steak and Shake, which I consider pretty good.

That's right, it's the dancing. Everytime the jukebox plays YMCA by the Village Idiots all the workers have to start dancing. Don't you really feel sorry for those people that work in Johnny Rockets on the Voyager class ships. They work so hard and they are still expected to dance as well everytime that song is played.

What I just don't get is why people continue to look at what they pay to eat on land and then say it is a bargain because it is only $3.95 on the ship. I've never been to a land based JR's where I've paid somewhere along the lines of $1000.00 per person before being able to walk into the place.

we enjoy at least 1 trip to JR's per cruise. It is fun, the food is good and the staff is great! The good thing is, it is totally up to you whether you want to pay for it or not. Your cruise in NOT all inclusive or you would be getting all those foo-foo drinks free too. Just because you paid to cruise doesn't mean everything else is free once you board. If you go to a hotel you will pay a lot more money just to get the ROOM. We have considered an all-inclusive cruise but they really are a lot more money. Don't know if it would be worth it but I have heard great things about the food and service. Guess we will just pick and choose what we want to pay for and what we don't. I think the drinks are pretty high myself but that sure doesn't stop me from buying 1..or 2...or 3 or, well, you get the picture. Just make sure your cruise is what YOU want it to be and have FUN!!!

I think the food is pretty good - for that type of food. Most kids love it. I wouldn't eat it daily - but it's a guilty pleasure once in a while.

As for "feeling sorry" for the people that work there....that's insulting to them. Maybe it's fun to sing and dance a bit.

I usually don't eat fast food, especially hamburgers and fries, but it's something special for vacation. I loved the onion rings, hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. I think it's a good alternative to the dining room stuff all the time.

My daughter and I had our first experience at Johnny Rockets at a mall here in AZ. I just don't get the appeal. I have had better onion rings elsewhere, the hamburger wasn't all that great (better at In-and-out) and the milkshake wasn't very good (though my daughter enjoyed it). I have had better shakes at MarbleSlab.

Flagger- I have to agree. Up until about 6 months ago, there was no Johnny Rockets in Canada. One finally opened up in a mega mall here in Toronto and I was anxious to see what all the hype was about. I wasn't all that impressed and actually found the "fried" burger to be quite tasteless. I did enjoy the onion rings and thought the smiley face the waiters make with the ketchup was kinda cute - but that was about it. The RCI surcharge doesn't phase me 'cause I have no intentions of eating at JR's.....JMHO

I agree with the OP. Tried johnny rockets on the EOS beack when there was no surcharge. Liked the onion ring/fry combo plate but didn't like my burger very much. It was ok since it was free but I wouldn't pay 4 bucks for it. Wouldn't eat at a johnny rockets on land either much better burger places such as fudruckers, red robin and even hardees has better burgers.

I think it's the novelty that draws people in. To be honest, we have a JR's at a mall near us and have never been. It's been there for 7 years. We don't really eat fast food and it would never be a destination for us. However, my kids are excited to visit JR's on board the VOS and we'll be happy to oblige them.

Your cruise in NOT all inclusive or you would be getting all those foo-foo drinks free too. Just because you paid to cruise doesn't mean everything else is free once you board.

I understand this, but it doesn't hold water in this arguement. If you buy an alcoholic drink, it's a DIFFERENT venue than a soft drink; however, paying for a hamburger lunch when you've already paid for a lunch elsewhere isn't a bargain. Again, eat there if you like the food, but don't try to justify the $4 as a bargain.

What I just don't get is why people continue to look at what they pay to eat on land and then say it is a bargain because it is only $3.95 on the ship. I've never been to a land based JR's where I've paid somewhere along the lines of $1000.00 per person before being able to walk into the place.

My point exactly.

Archived